Drug Emporium

Started by storehistoryguy, June 29, 2005, 10:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Discuss. I worked at one. This is a new Drug Emporium sign. They made this sign about three years before they went out in 2003. There website is still up too. http://www.drugemporium.com

LazarusFan

Actually they are still in business, but they aren't controlled by the core of the company that went under.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by LazarusFan
Actually they are still in business, but they aren't controlled by the core of the company that went under.

Where? They all closed near me. Didn't you read there website? http://www.drugemporium.com

storehistoryguy

tokensafari

mine is still operating.

Jag67

my mom once worked for them. After they Bought Vix drugstores (whom my mom worked for) the stores really turned to crap. I mean they became FILTHOLES!!

storehistoryguy

The Waminster Drug Emporium was knocked down today! It was built in 1966 as an Acme. The Acme closed in 1994 and Drug Emporium took it over the same year. The store closed in 2003 along with the other ones. In 2004 it was a bookstore until that closed this year. Now, its gone. :( I have a pic of it. I'll have to scan it.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
The Waminster Drug Emporium was knocked down today! It was built in 1966 as an Acme. The Acme closed in 1994 and Drug Emporium took it over the same year. The store closed in 2003 along with the other ones. I 2004 it was a bookstore until that closed this year. Now, its gone. :( I have a pic of it. I'll have to scan it.

Ya, I saw them doing something in there a few days ago and figured they were knocking it down. Do you know what is going in that spot? I know there were rumors a few months back about a corner Rite Aid (which wouldn't be a bad thing, at least for me).

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
The Waminster Drug Emporium was knocked down today! It was built in 1966 as an Acme. The Acme closed in 1994 and Drug Emporium took it over the same year. The store closed in 2003 along with the other ones. I 2004 it was a bookstore until that closed this year. Now, its gone. :( I have a pic of it. I'll have to scan it.

Ya, I saw them doing something in there a few days ago and figured they were knocking it down. Do you know what is going in that spot? I know there were rumors a few months back about a corner Rite Aid (which wouldn't be a bad thing, at least for me).

I haven't heard anything. Another pharmacy might be a good thing to put there.

XDeSuEhTX

Yeah my local one is still open.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

storehistoryguy

I will be getting the pics of the Warminster Drug Emporium soon and I will scan them a.s.a.p..

storehistoryguy

df559

In last week's Desperate Housewives, the supermarket scene had a "Thank You For Shopping Drug Emporium" sign visible in some camera angles. I thought it was kind of odd they did not cover that up, especially since the store was supposed to be a supermarket and not a drugstore!

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by df559
In last week's Desperate Housewives, the supermarket scene had a "Thank You For Shopping Drug Emporium" sign visible in some camera angles. I thought it was kind of odd they did not cover that up, especially since the store was supposed to be a supermarket and not a drugstore!

Ya, for some reason, they like using old Drug Emporium stores to film things in. In the show, Malcom in the Middle, Louis? works in a "Lucky Aide" drug store, but if you look closely in the various episodes, everything from the bags by the registers and the price signs say Drug Emporium on them :insane:. I believe there were Drug Emporium stores in California at one time.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by df559

Ya, for some reason, they like using old Drug Emporium stores to film things in. In the show, Malcom in the Middle, Louis? works in a "Lucky Aide" drug store, but if you look closely in the various episodes, everything from the bags by the registers and the price signs say Drug Emporium on them :insane:. I believe there were Drug Emporium stores in California at one time.

Yes the Lucky Aid on Malcolm in the Middle is definitly a Drug Emporium or one of Drug Emporium's sister stores like Vix.

df559

I got the distinct feeling the supermarket of Generica featured on Desperate Housewives was in fact the same store used as the "Lucky Aide" in Malcolm. What's interesting is that in the pilot of DH they used another grocery store, this one had signage appropriate for a supermarket ("Meats", etc.) but that one hasn't turned up in any other episode...

storehistoryguy

Check out this old Drug Emporium commercial. If its about 30% less everyday it eventually going to go down to $0.00. :insane::insane:

http://mariannemuellerleile.com/Commercials/DrugEmporium.html

storehistoryguy

Most Drug Emporiums had this design inside. I can only think of one off hand that didn't.

http://www.newhopebuilders.com/general_contracting/remodels.htm

Anonymous

There were three in my county. One was temporarily a Halloween Adventure and later an unnamed book sale, and recently became a Gold's Gym. The other two are now a Big Lots and an MJM Designer Shoes, respectively.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
There were three in my county. One was temporarily a Halloween Adventure and later an unnamed book sale, and recently became a Gold's Gym. The other two are now a Big Lots and an MJM Designer Shoes, respectively.

I've been to that store that is now the MJM (If you are refering to the store in St. Davids, PA by the Genuardi's). Still hints of Drug Emporium throughout from the green painted automatic doors to signs in the bathroom in the red drug emporium font)

Anonymous

MBZ321, the Drug Emporium that is now MJM is the one you have been to, except for I'm pretty sure it's in Wayne, not St. Davids. Also, the first one I mentioned is in Broomall. That shopping center has some other retail history, too. There used to be a Two Guys there, which then became a Bradlees, and which is finally a Giant food store. The second one is in Aston.

Anonymous

Inside the former Aston location (Big Lots) there is a black-and-white "EMPLOYEES ONLY" sign obviously left by Drug Emporium on a stockroom door near the exit. At the former Broomall location, both temporary tenants left up the old Drug Emporium "Thank You For Shopping" and other signs on the inside, and not until when the bookstore was about moved out was the logo on the front of the building finally removed, leaving a deep labelscar. Still, you would not expect a new store there to actually renovate the place unless it were the next official business. Anyway, I'm assuming Gold's Gym did pretty good work on the interior. The only true work I am sure they did was give the storefront a new paint job, but it looks like the property was not remodeled. Apparently, if the tenants at both other ones did not remove the signs Drug Emporium left on the doors, they must have not replaced the front doors or even the inside, but both those stores sell generally cheaper merchandise.

Anonymous

UPDATE: I just found out that there was another one on 69th Street in Upper Darby, but I have no idea what that is now.

Anonymous

Storehistoryguy, grammar correction: "Over there"
                                                            "Their website"
                                                            "They're working."