Walmart out, Market Basket in at Westbrook, ME shopping plaza

Started by retailisking, November 16, 2017, 03:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

I guess the cutback on new store builds at WMT has claimed this one. Too bad, as that area is crying out for a decent general merchandise store with a broad selection. Yes, you can go to Walmart in Scarborough and Falmouth, but that neighborhood hasn't had a big-box discount store since Ames and Bradlees folded.
http://www.pressherald.com/2017/11/16/market-basket-to-anchor-planned-shopping-plaza-in-westbrook/

JJBers

I've always wondered what is Market Basket? I know it's a grocery store, but they're too far away for me to go to any of them.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

BillyGr

Quote from: JJBers on November 16, 2017, 08:56:50 PM
I've always wondered what is Market Basket? I know it's a grocery store, but they're too far away for me to go to any of them.

Having only to been to one once when we were in NH, that's basically it.  They are a grocery store.

Perhaps just that they tend to offer better prices (and less "frills" to allow for that) than other stores and are one of those local chains that everyone hears about and wants one in their area.

JJBers

Quote from: BillyGr on November 17, 2017, 01:27:17 PM
Quote from: JJBers on November 16, 2017, 08:56:50 PM

Having only to been to one once when we were in NH, that's basically it.  They are a grocery store.

Perhaps just that they tend to offer better prices (and less "frills" to allow for that) than other stores and are one of those local chains that everyone hears about and wants one in their area.
Huh, I guess that was the situation with Shaw's at one point in Connecticut, but I really don't see anybody in Connecticut wanting more retail. We got enough.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)