Main Menu

Wheeling Nailers

Started by TheFugitive, August 28, 2017, 03:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Wheeling, West Virginia is a 55 mile drive from Pittsburgh.
It is home to the Wheeling Nailers, AA-level farm team for the Pittsburgh Penguins
who play in the ECHL.

Two years ago my brother and I were looking for something to do on a Friday evening in April.
The Nailers were in the playoffs, and it was Dollar Beer Night.  So we drove down to Wheeling
for the game.

Apparently when you buy playoff tickets for this team it lands you on some sort of VIP mailing list.
I now get bombarded with press releases about every player signing or other development.
I actually got an invitation to a pre-season cocktail party to meet the players, coaching staff,
and the Mayor of Wheeling, West Virginia (I was not able to make it to that unfortunately).

All that from 2 playoff tickets I purchased two years ago.
They're either very hospitable, or really desperate.

MikeinBuffalo

minor league teams are usually like that. Lots of promotions to get people to come in. The Buffalo Bisons up here, a AAA team, run several specials to entice crowds. I'm sure the double or even single A teams have to work much harder to get people to attend games. I think they are a lot of fun.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

TheFugitive

Yesterday the Nailers sent me a press release announcing the hiring
of a new Team Video Coordinator.

Well damn.....now they've got the Cup in the bag for sure!   ::)

TheFugitive

The Nailers are playing in a new division this season that
includes a team from Worcester, Mass. known as the Worcester Railers.

I sure as heck would not want to be a play-by-play guy
trying to keep Nailers and Railers straight!   ;D