Charter Oak Mall

Started by JJBers, November 12, 2017, 01:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJBers

This mall was built back in the 70's and was converted into a strip mall in the 90's and 2000's. I took some photos of the mall, plus the abandoned Showcase Cinemas in the same lot.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

scottw73

I live not too far from there, and if I'm not mistaken, that Burlington was once a Bradlees

JJBers

Quote from: scottw73 on November 12, 2017, 09:23:36 AM
I live not too far from there, and if I'm not mistaken, that Burlington was once a Bradlees
Yeah, but when was the Coat Factory opened?
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

scottw73

Quote from: JJBers on November 12, 2017, 11:52:05 AM

Bradlees closed in '96 so sometime after that

JimSawhill

Quote from: JJBers on November 12, 2017, 01:26:59 AM
This mall was built back in the 70's and was converted into a strip mall in the 90's and 2000's. I took some photos of the mall, plus the abandoned Showcase Cinemas in the same lot.

In 1976, my friends and I lived about a half mile from Charter Oak. I believe we were the first customers at Bradlees and Papa Gino's. Besides Bradlees and Stop&Shop, it had a MediMart, Fayva Shoes, Athletic Attic, Guardsman's Menswear and Radio Shack. It wasn't a big mall, but we enjoyed it. Nearby was the Showcase Cinemas and next to it was Tudor Village Apartments.

Stop & Shop moved from an old Shopping Plaza that had a J.M.Fields, Woolworth and a Recap Pharmacy in one area, and office building with a Society for Savings and a Hartford National Bank offices in it and another building that had a Lincoln Dairy, Yankee Clipper Barbershop (I went there as a kid), First Federal Savings and Loan of East Hartford branch), a beauty shop, The Yankee Trader Gift Shop and a dry cleaner.  After school, the lunch counter at Woolworths or J.M. Fields was my place when my mom played bridge.

JimSawhill

Quote from: scottw73 on November 12, 2017, 12:26:45 PM
Quote from: JJBers on November 12, 2017, 11:52:05 AM

Bradlees closed in '96 so sometime after that

Burlington moved from the old J.M.Fields in the old Silver Lane Shopping Center...

Everything Community

Unfortunately, the Stop & Shop at that mall closed permanently on January 6, 2022 due to poor sales and lease expiration. In addition, that store barely received interior renovations since the mid-2000s. Currently, that site is vacant.
Link of the store closure: https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/stop-and-shop-in-east-hartford-closes-its-doors-in-january/2682281/

Everything Community