Bristol Plaza Bristol, CT

Started by ynkeesfn82, May 24, 2013, 12:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

The Bristol Plaza in Bristol, Ct was built in the 1960s and has been owned by Federal Realty investment trust since 1995. The plaza got a facade makeover after Stop & Shop built its new store where Bradlees used to be in 2004. The plaza consists of 4 buildings on one parcel of land and 2 buildings opposite the plaza on Route 6. This is one of most popular shopping centers in Bristol. http://www.federalrealty.com/properties/bristol/

Main Building #1 Facing Route 6:

Stop & Shop (Formerly Bradlee's)
Dress Barn
*New Business TBA* (They were working on it today, but there was no sign)
Vacant (Formerly Jackson Hewitt)
Dollar Tree Note: This location is not allowed to carry frozen food per Stop & Shop's Lease (Formerly CVS)
Vacant (Formerly State Farm Insurance
Webster Bank
TJ MAXX (formerly Stop & Shop)
Savers (formerly Stop & Shop)

Building #2

Dee's Laundromat
State Farm Insurance
Vacant
Nail Salon
Mandee (Formerly Dress Barn)
(Stairs to second floor offices)
Ocean State Job Lot (formerly D&L later TJ MAXX)

Building # 3 Facing Route 6

Starbucks
Carvel
Wolf Wine & Spirits
Moe's Southwest Grill
Gamestop
Prudential Realty
Bristol Hospital Labs
Bagels Plus Deli
Domino's Pizza
Hunter Eyecare (part of Harvey & Lewis Opticians)

Building #4

Webster Bank Drive-Thru
Supercuts Salon
Wang's King Garden Chinese Take out
Image Sun Tanning Salon

*Building #4 was made smaller when they built the new Stop & Shop)

Across the Street:

Building #1
CVS Regional Office
Payless Shoes
Liberty Tax (Fomerly Jackson Hewitt)
Pier One Imports

Building #2
Walmart 4111 Square Feet? - Must be a hiring center for the new Neighborhood Market being built up the street.
T-Mobile

Building #2 used to be a free Standing Sleepy's (the 2nd location in Bristol) Then it used to be Better Bedding. They closed before the chain went under and was sold to Sleepy's.

AmesNewington

I think you forgot Century Buffet in there, or did they close? The spaces next to the former CVS used to be Woolworth's. I remember both CVS and Woolworth's next to each other. I had been in both stores in addition to Bradlees and Stop and Shop (both old and new). I remember going to the Store Closing sale for Woolworth's in 1997 and the one for Bradlees around 2000/2001. Special memories.

Also, in Building #3, I remember some sort of toy store (they had a train set in the window I think) and there was also a men's clothing store called Raymond's. My dad used to get all of his clothes there. They custom fit you for everything. This was during the 90s.

I remember the plaza for it's speed bumps that had a walkway in the middle of them.

ynkeesfn82

You're right Chris. I did forget Century Buffet. Pretty funny I forgot about the considering I ate lunch there today. Raymond's Men's shop closed down quite a number of years ago. They retired. And the Toy/Hobby Shop I think moved somewhere else ad then closed. I went in their once. It smelled nasty in there.

The walkway is still there. I like it.

cdavid991

I remember going and eating at woolworths with my dad when I was a kid. Here's some photos from the Caldor Rainbow showing the lifespan of the D&L building.

D&L original plan
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6JOCpADOJWg/SIy-t4z-aZI/AAAAAAAABKU/3Z87iSuq-2c/s1600-h/D%26L65.JPG

TJMAXX before
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6JOCpADOJWg/SIy-teL08nI/AAAAAAAABKE/H-lE5yCOrQA/s1600-h/DSC02384.JPG

TJMAXXified
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6JOCpADOJWg/SIy-tpoe5oI/AAAAAAAABKM/uhhMtMOuF28/s1600-h/DSC04157.JPG

ynkeesfn82

Yes. And I wished even though they redid the facade of the plaza that they had kept the old front on the old D&L Building.

ynkeesfn82

Updated and fixed:

Main Building #1 Facing Route 6:

Stop & Shop (Formerly Bradlee's)
Dress Barn
*Opening Soon* Becker's Jeweler's Gold Buying Center (Don't know if they're moving here or opening a second Bristol location. Currently they're in Eblen's Plaza further down Route 6 past Shoprite Plaza going towards Walmart).
Vacant (Formerly Jackson Hewitt)
Dollar Tree Note: This location is not allowed to carry frozen food per Stop & Shop's Lease (Formerly CVS)
Century Buffet *Mistakenly left off the list yesterday*
Vacant (Formerly State Farm Insurance)
Webster Bank
TJ MAXX (formerly Stop & Shop)
Savers (formerly Stop & Shop)

Building #2

Dee's Laundromat
State Farm Insurance
Vacant
Nail Salon
Mandee (Formerly Dress Barn)
(Stairs to second floor offices)
Ocean State Job Lot (formerly D&L later TJ MAXX)

Building # 3 Facing Route 6

Starbucks
Carvel
Wolf Wine & Spirits
Moe's Southwest Grill
Gamestop
Prudential Realty
Bristol Hospital Labs
Bagels Plus Deli
Domino's Pizza
Hunter Eyecare (part of Harvey & Lewis Opticians)

Building #4

Webster Bank Drive-Thru
Supercuts Salon
Wang's King Garden Chinese Take out
Image Sun Tanning Salon

*Building #4 was made smaller when they built the new Stop & Shop)

ynkeesfn82

2014 Update:

Carvel closed down at the end of August 2014 and is becoming Menchie's Frozen Yogurt.
Prudential Real Estate change their name to Bershire Hathaway.

The plaza across the street which is considered to be part of Bristol Plaza - The CVS Regional Office moved to the corner of Route 6 and North Main Street in part of the former McCormick's Restaurant. The other part of the former McCormic's was ripped down. Liberty Income Tax also closed.

The 2nd building across the street is supposed to become New England Urgent Care. T-Mobile is staying.

ynkeesfn82

Update:

Wang's King Garden and Super Cuts have closed. (I guess they decided they didn't need 2 Super Cuts in Bristol the other being in Shoprite Plaza). And they're consolidating the 2 Webster Banks. The Webster Bank in-between the former State Farm Insurance office next to Century Buffet and TJ MAXX is being combined with their drive-thru only location, which is expanding taking over the former Wang's King Garden and Super Cuts. The new branch will be smaller than the old branch.

giantsfan2016

2016 Update:

Payless opened a giant size store in the 2 side-by-side empty spaces next to Dress Barn. This replaces their smaller store across Route 6 in the plaza with Pier One which is considered part of The Bristol Plaza. A dentist office opened in vacant space next to State Farm Insurance. Wolf's Wine & Spirits moved out of the plaza and over to nearby Jerome Avenue.

Across the street Pet Valu opened a store. Kay Jewelers is opening a store soon.

In the 2nd building across the street New England Urgent Care opened next to T-Mobile.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Building #1
Stop & Shop
Dress Barn
Payless Shoes Superstore
Dollar Tree
VACANT
Century Buffet
VACANT
TJ MAXX
Savers

I honestly don't know how Century Buffet stays open. They changed owners several times since 2011 and the food has gotten worse and worse. I havent been there in quite a while especially after I got food poisoning from their Sushi in December 2015. In 2015 a clothing store operated briefly in the empty spot next to Dollar Tree that at one time was State Farm Insurance.

Building #2
Dee's Laundromat
State Farm Insurnce
Dentist Office
Nail Salon
Mandee
Ocean State Job Lot

Building #3
Starbucks
Menchie's Frozen Yogurt
VACANT
Moe's Southwest Grill
Gamestop
Bristol Hospital
Berkshire Hathaway Realty
Bagel's Plus
Domino's
Harvey & Lewis Opticians/Starling Optical

Building #4
Webster Bank w/Drive Thru
VACANT

Across the Street

Building #1
Kay Jewelers *COMING SOON*
VACANT
VACANT
PET VALU
VACANT
PIER ONE

Building #2
New England Urgent Care
T Mobile

giantsfan2016

According to the real estate company's website a store called Work N Gear is opening next to Century Buffet in the old Webster Bank. They sell work clothing and accessories such as scrubs, safety shoes, uniforms, those safety vests construction workers wear, etc.

This will be their second Connecticut location.

https://www.workngear.com/

giantsfan2016

October 2017 update. Kay Jewler's opened in the building across the street that is considered part of the plaza. Fire House Subs is under construction next to Kay. Pet Valu just celebrated their one year anniversary.

In the main part of the plaza the Bristol Hospital Lab will eventually be closing as Bristol Hospital is building a complex on about 3 1/4 acres of the old Bristol Centre Mall Property and will consolidate all their offerings across the city into the new building. There is no room for expansion at the hospital's campus on Brewster Road that's the reason they are building a building at the old mall site.

giantsfan2016

2018 Update. Dee's Laundromat moved out of this plaza into a standalone building at 900 Farmington Avenue in the former Insane Irving's. Insane Irving's is an independently owned hip-hop clothing store. They downsized to a smaller space in a nearby small strip mall where Rodd's Restaurant is.

Berkshire Hathaway Realty moved out of this plaza. They moved way up to the Terryville Avenue side of Route 6 near the Terryville Townline.

giantsfan2016

Starling Eye Center is expected to relocate to the plaza where Hobby Lobby is. The Bristol Hospital lab is expected to move out in the Spring of 2019 when the new Bristol Hospital ambulatory building opens where the Mall at Bristol Centre was once located downtown. With Payless expected to file chapter 11 again and close more of their stores there will be yet another vacancy in this the oldest and well maintained shopping center in Bristol.

giantsfan2016

June 22, 2019 update.

Mandee - a tween clothing store for girls closed.

Payless has 2 days left.

Domino's Pizza moved across Route 6 to the old Papa John's.

Roz and Ali (Dress Barn) will most likely be closing.

I don't know if the Bristol Hospital Lab is still open or not. There was a rumor it as going to close due to the opening of the new Bristol Hospital Medical Building where the Centre Mall used to be.

Brammy

January 26, 2019 Update:

Main Building faces Route 6 and is in-between two sides of Dorothy Road. From Left to right.

Stop & Shop
Vacant (Former Dress Barn)
Vacant (Former Payless Super Store)
Dollar Tree
Vacant (Former State Farm Insurance)
Vacant (Former Century Buffet)
Work N Gear
TJ Maxx
Savers

Building #2 (Near Saver's)
Vacant (Former Dee's Laundromat)
State Farm Insurance
Dental Office
Nail Salon
Vacant (Former Mandee)
Ocean State Job Lot '

Building #3 (Near Job Lot Most businesses have entrance on both sides). Left to Right from Job Lot

Starling Optical (Supposed to be moving to the Hobby Lobby Plaza)
Vacant (Former Domino's Pizza)
Bagels Plus
Vacant (Former Berkshire Hathaway)
Bristol Hospital Lab
Game Stop (Former EB Games)
Moe's Southwest Grill
Jersey Mike's Subs (Coming Soon)
Menchie's Frozen Yogurt
Starbucks

Building #4

Webster Bank
Vacant (Former Tanning Salon)

This is probably the only shopping center to have 2 vacant former Dress Barn Stores. The former Mandee space was Dress Barn's first location in this plaza.

Across the street are 2 buildings that are considered part of the plaza

Kay Jeweler's
Vacant (Former Firehouse Subs)
Vacant
Pet Valu
Vacant
Vacant (Former Pier One - closing Soon)

Building 2 across the Street

New England Urgent Care
T-Mobile
The Real Brammy

Brammy

Recent Additions to this plaza:

Five Below (in the former Dress Barn)
Burlington (in the former Savers)
Asian Bistro Ramen Noodle (in the former Domino's Pizza) They're one of the best Chinese restaurants in my opinion.
America's Best Eyeglasses and Contact Lenses in the former Berkshire Hathaway and former Bristol Hospital Lab.

Across the street Firehouse Subs briefly reopened under a new franchisee only to close again. Bristol Hospital opened a smaller lab there too. Former Pier on and PetValu remain vacant.
The Real Brammy