Main Menu

October rain storm

Started by giantsfan2016, October 25, 2017, 07:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

What a wild rainstorm we had here in Connecticut. It started in the early morning hours of Tuesday. And it ended in the early morning hours of today Wednesday. Part of last night we couldn't watch TV because of the storm. Rain clouds blocking the satellite signal. It was about 1:35PM when my Mom dropped me off at the Price Chopper Plaza in Bristol yesterday. It was barely raining and I thought to myself "cool I'll be able to get plenty of pictures of the plaza for this board." I go inside the store, use the bathroom, get a drink of water, and sit at a table in the food court. Not even 10 minutes later it was like a tropical storm. I thought "Oh well. So much for getting pictures." But then the rain got lighter again. I was lucky I was able to snag the 9 pictures I got. The rain kept changing in intensity as I was getting the pictures. At one point the wind was blowing the rain so hard that I was getting wet sitting on the bench outside of Frank's Diner. The bench is up against the building and the sidewalk is completely covered.

During their 11PM News Channel 3 does the weather at 11:15PM. At that time they said there was 2.29 inches of rain at the Greene Hills School in Bristol. This school is on Pine Street across the street from the Stop and Shop where I used to work and not too far from where I live in Southington. This morning when I woke up I didn't see a report from the Greene Hills School FOX 61 doesn't have a reporting station there, but at Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks (which is the official weather reporting station for Hartford) they reported 4.66 inches of rain since the storm started early Tuesday Morning. That's more than a month's worth!

JJBers

And as of posting this, I'm being hit with even more rain. I do believe though that Central CT and SE got the hardest hit. Rain really didn't start here until 3 pm, and was at the worst point around 11pm.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

JJBers

The latest storm caused massive damage around my area, including power outages, and I have no school.
Here's a photo of a fallen tree in my yard thanks to the storm:

Fallen Tree by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Yikes! At least it didn't hit your house. Up in Southington our back yard is flooded. The Quinnipiac River hasn't been that high since 2013.