Woman's fashion retailer New York and Company closing Meriden, CT store

Started by giantsfan2016, October 20, 2017, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

New York and Company is closing their Meriden, CT store at The Meriden Square Mall in January. They also opened two new stores in Sherman Oaks, California and in NYC.

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Women’s fashion retailer closing Westfield Meriden mall location

MERIDEN â€" Women’s fashion retailer New York & Co. is closing its store at Westfield Meriden mall in January, a company spokeswoman confirmed Friday.

“As part of the normal course of our business, we routinely evaluate the location of our stores,” said New York & Co. spokeswoman Angela Apolito, “In some cases, our lease may be expiring, in others, we may choose to close the store for different reasons. As we evaluate these locations, we also identify new opportunities. For example, this October we have opened two new stores in Sherman Oaks, California, and New York City, N.Y.”

It remained unclear whether New York and Co.’s lease was to expire in the mall. Representatives from Westfield Meriden mall could not be reached for comment Friday.

Store employees said signs announcing the closure would go up in November and shoppers can expect deep sales. Coupons and gift cards from other stores will be accepted at seven other New York & Co. shops in the state. Additional questions were referred to the corporate office.

The chain has stores in Waterbury, Milford, Waterford, Danbury, Ledyard, Manchester and Trumbull.

New York & Co. is a longtime staple at malls. It was originally called Lerner Shops from 1918 to 1992 and specialized in career wear for working women. In 1985, it was purchased by Limited Brands and renamed Lerner New York in 1992. After another sale in 2002, it became an independent company. In 2010, it launched its outlet division followed by a fragrance, lip and nail product line. In 2013, the chain collaborated with actress Evan Mendes to launch an exclusive collection and has since partnered with other celebrities.

According to its second-quarter filings, New York & Co. reported that it expects to open two stores under short-term flexible leases, refresh five stores and close two stores. The move will leave New York & Co. ending the third quarter of fiscal year 2017 with 460 stores, including 125 outlet stores.

New York & Co. reported second-quarter net sales of $224.1 million, decreasing 3.7 percent as compared to $232.8 million in the prior year, but reflecting double-digit growth in eCommerce. Comparable store sales decreased 1.1 percent, the company reported in August.

JJBers

Luckily I'll be going to the mall on November 4, so I'll take a quick photo of the store. If I can find it though.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Quote from: JJBers on October 20, 2017, 09:03:00 PM
Luckily I'll be going to the mall on November 4, so I'll take a quick photo of the store. If I can find it though.

First floor near Sears.

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on October 21, 2017, 06:17:52 PM
Quote from: JJBers on October 20, 2017, 09:03:00 PM

First floor near Sears.
Thanks, I should find it easily then.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Update. New York and Company has been given a 6 month extension.

EddieJ1984

The New York & Company in Oxford Valley Mall in Langhorne, PA is closing