Main Menu

Ames History I've Found Online

Started by 108CAM, January 29, 2023, 11:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

108CAM

This topic will be a showcase of Ames history that I've found online. Most of it will be images of older ames related items that I've found while browsing the internet.

I'll start with an old image of the former Sturbridge MA store.
A few cropped and blurry photos of this store have existed for quite some time but the image I found is a digital scan of the original uncropped photo that shows the full storefront sign which reads "AMES DEPARTMENT STORE" in a fairly generic font. The HQ image reveals that the plaza also had a JCPenny which has since been demolished. The Ames has been split in half with Ocean State Job Lot on the left and Tractor Supply Co. to the right.

Next is an old Ames logo which appears to be the predecessor to the Cheltenham Italic logo. This could be an old photo of the St. Johnsbury store sign which was changed many times throughout its life as an Ames store.

Third is a digital scan of an old Pay Slip with the word "PAID" in big bold letters above the Ames "Building Blocks" logo. Under the logo is an area where the payment date would be written by the employee.

Last is an Ames Stock Certificate from August 7, 1990

That's all for now but when I find more Ames history, I'll post it in this thread.

It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.

Retail_247

I think that Ames originally started out as Grant's
Retail_247

108CAM

Had a look at the Wrightstown, NJ Ames on Google Maps and discovered that the satellite photos (as of 2023) were taken shortly after the store's roof partially collapsed. Quite an interesting image too.
It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.

108CAM

Quote from: Retail_247 on January 29, 2023, 11:51:14 PMI think that Ames originally started out as Grant's

If your talking about my photo of the Sturbridge MA store, it may well have been a grants before it became an Ames.
Grant's was one of the many department store chains that ames acquired throughout it's life.

Ames was started in the 1950's by a group of people who opened a discount variety store in the former Ames Worsted Textile Company mill in Southbridge MA. The founders simply left the original textile mill Ames sign in place then registered it as the name for what would eventually become Ames Department Stores Incorporated.

Grant's was founded in 1906 and didn't go out of business until 1976, nearly 20 years after Ames was founded.
Ames has been Ames since the start.

Retail_247

Quote from: 108CAM on January 30, 2023, 05:37:22 PMHad a look at the Wrightstown, NJ Ames on Google Maps and discovered that the satellite photos (as of 2023) were taken shortly after the store's roof partially collapsed. Quite an interesting image too.

This location was also originally a Grant's (a "Grant City" store), and was later a Jamesway before it was Ames
Retail_247

108CAM

Quote from: Retail_247 on January 30, 2023, 07:58:05 PM
Quote from: 108CAM on January 30, 2023, 05:37:22 PMHad a look at the Wrightstown, NJ Ames on Google Maps and discovered that the satellite photos (as of 2023) were taken shortly after the store's roof partially collapsed. Quite an interesting image too.

This location was also originally a Grant's (a "Grant City" store), and was later a Jamesway before it was Ames

That would explain why the design of the storefronts at both Wrightstown and Sturbridge are very similar. Most of the Grant's that were converted to Ames are easily identifiable from this design. The Grant's store design is also similar to the design used for lots of US Kmart stores.

BillyGr

Quote from: 108CAM on January 30, 2023, 11:47:09 PM
Quote from: Retail_247 on January 30, 2023, 07:58:05 PM

That would explain why the design of the storefronts at both Wrightstown and Sturbridge are very similar. Most of the Grant's that were converted to Ames are easily identifiable from this design. The Grant's store design is also similar to the design used for lots of US Kmart stores.

Which, of course, is because Kmart moved into many former Grant's locations as well once the company went out of business.

They didn't get sold to any chain as a whole (unlike how Ames took over Zayre or Hills later on), so the store locations were available to whomever wanted to pick up the spot(s).

TheFugitive

Kmart moved into the former Grant location near me when I was a kid in the 70's
(Crafton-Ingram Shopping Center in Crafton, PA).  It remained there for many years
before relocating and becoming a Super Kmart in Robinson Township, PA in the mid-90's.

108CAM

Found a bit more Ames history today.

First is an old photo of the Acme Supermarket and neighbouring W. T. Grant's Department Store at Cranberry Plaza in Pennsville, NJ.
The Acme is long gone and the Grant's later became an Ames, store number #0025.

Second is a 1971 Storefront photo of Ames #0004 at Park Plaza in Ogdensburg, NY. Love the old Ames sign at this location.

Third is a photo of the former Addison, IL Zayre. The red neon letters are amazing and many Zayre stores had them.