Main Menu

Ames stores inside of malls

Started by Retail_247, June 12, 2019, 01:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail_247

Retail_247

TheFugitive

The only one I had ever seen personally was in Defiance, Ohio.

BillyGr

After they acquired Hills, they had the one (and only) Hills MA store in the Berkshire Mall outside Pittsfield.

retailisking

In Maine, Ames had mall-based stores in Augusta (Turnpike Mall) and Lewiston (Lewiston Mall.) Those are the two I can recall off the top of my head.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on June 13, 2019, 01:12:37 PM
In Maine, Ames had mall-based stores in Augusta (Turnpike Mall) and Lewiston (Lewiston Mall.) Those are the two I can recall off the top of my head.

Airport Mall in Bangor ME
Belknap Mall in Belmont NH
Green Mountain Mall in St. Johnsbury VT
University Mall - Burlington VT

Other than Burlington's, most of them were smaller malls.

TheFugitive

Quote from: BillyGr on June 13, 2019, 11:39:35 AM
After they acquired Hills, they had the one (and only) Hills MA store in the Berkshire Mall outside Pittsfield.

There was a Hills store in the Village Square Mall south of Pittsburgh.  I think it may have been an
Ames briefly after the acquisition (the site is currently a Home Depot).

However, Village Square had been "de-malled" in the mid-90's.  The interior mall area was wiped out and tenants like Kohl's and Burlington were allowed to expand into that space.  So I am pretty sure it was
no longer technically a mall by the time of the Ames-Hills merger.

jconsolmagno

Richland Mall - Johnstown, PA had an AMES.

Planet Retail

Hanover Mall in Hanover, MA had an Ames, which later became Walmart; an unusual scenario.

https://www.hanovermall.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanover_Mall

TheFugitive

Quote from: Planet Retail on June 25, 2019, 11:15:25 AM

Ames, which later became Walmart; an unusual scenario.

The Ames on PA Route 88 in Bethel Park, PA is now a Walmart.
As an Ames it also housed a regional office.  I had my interview here
when I was hired by Ames.

Ameskid

There was one in the now-demolished Western Woods Mall in Cincinnati.  It became an Ames through the Zayre acquisition and had previously been a JC Penney and Grants.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

esw01407

Laurel Mall Hazleton, closed and became a Kmart, now also closed. Hazleton would later have another Ames, a converted Hills at another complex about a mile away
Cressona Mall, a converted Hills
Columbia Mall (Now Columbia Colonnade), a converted Hills. Bloomsburg had another Ames on the other side of town that closed sometime in the late 80's/early 90's, and later became a movie theater

buzz86us

Don't forget Carousel Center mall in Syracuse

108CAM

Most of the mall anchored Ames stores were former Zayre or Hills stores although a few other stores may have been purchased by and converted to Ames.

I'm fairly sure that there was a mall anchored Caldor that became an Ames when Caldor went bust in 1999. Can't remember where it was but I'm pretty confident that one of the former Caldors that Ames purchased and converted was a mall anchored store.

It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.