The Beatles promoting smoking weed?

Started by giantsfan2016, October 18, 2017, 09:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

The DJ on an Oldies radio station said the station got an angry letter from a mother accusing the radio station of promoting smoking weed by playing "I wanna hold your hand" by The Beatles. The song has the lyrics "I get high."

I personally think the mother is crazy. I don't need to listen to a Beatles record to smoke weed. #justsaying

You also can tell the letter was from a woman who's anti-weed because she actually used the word marijuana. It's rare to hear anyone use the term marijuana these days.

TheFugitive

I Wanna Hold Your Hand was a hit in 1964.   It is highly doubtful that the Beatles would have
incorporated a drug reference into that song, as the risks of it being a career-ender at that time
would have been just too high (to coin a phrase  ;D).  If anyone had figured that out or suspected it their days of getting radio airplay would have been over.

Not so much a few years later after the lads had returned from India.  It has been widely reported that the "Mother Mary" referenced in Let It Be was not the Virgin Mary, but Mary-Juana.  I attend a Catholic church, and I personally know a lot of Catholics who believe this and are offended by it.

There is definitely some history with the Beatles and drug lyrics (who knows what the heck they were really trying to say on Yellow Submarine?)  But most of it would have occurred in that later period and not in '64 (even if they did likely inhale at that time).

That complaint does remind me a bit of the lady who walked into my Ames store to complain that the VHS collections of public-domain cartoons we were selling contained hidden messages from Satan.

Pikapower

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 18, 2017, 10:04:03 AM
I Wanna Hold Your Hand was a hit in 1964.   It is highly doubtful that the Beatles would have
incorporated a drug reference into that song, as the risks of it being a career-ender at that time
would have been just too high (to coin a phrase  ;D).  If anyone had figured that out or suspected it their days of getting radio airplay would have been over.

Not so much a few years later after the lads had returned from India.  It has been widely reported that the "Mother Mary" referenced in Let It Be was not the Virgin Mary, but Mary-Juana.  I attend a Catholic church, and I personally know a lot of Catholics who believe this and are offended by it.

There is definitely some history with the Beatles and drug lyrics (who knows what the heck they were really trying to say on Yellow Submarine?)  But most of it would have occurred in that later period and not in '64 (even if they did likely inhale at that time).

That complaint does remind me a bit of the lady who walked into my Ames store to complain that the VHS collections of public-domain cartoons we were selling contained hidden messages from Satan.

*facepalm* when will people learn not to be so politically correct?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia