Jo Ann's Plaza Newington, CT

Started by AmesNewington, June 28, 2005, 05:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

(first of all, I'm not sure if this is a good section to post this topic):

Jo Ann's Plaza (formerly called Lechmere Plaza) in Newington CT is getting a makeover. Two new stores will be added. This plaza onced housed Lechmere, and KB Toy Worls. They are adding Modell's Sporting Goods, and TGI Fridays in a new building in front of the plaza. This plaza hasn't been renovated ever since it opened in the '80s. Here's the new listing of stores:

Jo Ann Etc. Superstore
Big Lots
Radio Shack
Modell's Sporting Goods
Chuck E Cheese's Pizza
Lefty Magoo's Billiards
Ming Palace
(Sandwich Shop) Help me out here TRU!
Shear Success
Planet Fitness
Futon's Plus
GNC LiveWell
KempKo Martial Arts
TGI Friday's

It will be ready by the fall. It is supposed to be the 'spot'
on the Turnpike. Just wanted to share this.

AmesNewington

JoAnn Plaza was meant for small chain or local businesses. If you're looking for "the best of the past", it at least had KB Toy Works and Lechmere.

AmesNewington

KB Toy Works was one of the oldest stores in the plaza. It was there from the start. That store was very old and outdated. During their last three years open (2002-2004), you'd walk in and the front of the store was always empty. It used to be "jammed" with merchandise. Anyways, I guess since the company was in financial troubles, and Toys 'r' Us was down the street, they classified it as an underperforming store, and put it on the first 2004 list of GOB closings. And you're right, Lechmere closed with all locations in 1997. That is now the Jo Ann and Big Lots building. Back to KB Toy Works, Toys 'r' Us down the street considered closing, but stayed open. Part of the reason is that they are in the "Dead" shopping center of Newington, but Wal-Mart and Target are on the Pike as well.

TRU7536

hey amesnewington, the sandwich shop in this plaza, is called Jersey Mikes subs, its a pretty good sub shop, but a little expensive, but they seem to be doing great in business!

AmesNewington

TRU. I actually recently saw an ad for there. Thanks anyway. Did you see the Newington Life article about the plaza? It will look nice after it is re-done. I think it's the July edition. I can't scan the pics, and post them here, because I have no clue how to resize them to be small enough for this site. Hey, TRU, I really miss the Newington Ames. Price Chopper is great, but I just think it doesn't fit at 2985 Berlin Turnpike, if you know what I mean.

From Chris

P.S. If you have any info on any stores that are vacant, please let me know. Thanks!