Store Versus Store

Started by tokensafari, July 19, 2005, 10:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokensafari

Here you can discuss what stores have against each other in terms of competition. Like: why Ames was better than Caldor, or Why Hills was better than Ames, and so forth. Also, what each unique gimmich was for all the stores. lol hopefully you all understand what i am trying to say...

Zayre88

I never knew Caldor but i'm a Bradlees fan.  Right away, I can admit that Caldor was bigger and probably had a more solid vision for its stores.  After all, most Caldor stores were build with the Caldor style and that shows that a company  has money to have their own style.  Bradlees often used existing stores or opened in an existing plaza so they never had a unique standard style.

Caldor1999

i had Caldor evrey were i live we use to have bradlees but the stores were messey and unkeep they closed many of them down in 1996 so that was my momeory there was one that stayed open though it was in Yonkers NY in the cross county mall thatv bradlees is now a Macys

but to me i found better stuff at Caldor just cause the bradlees that were ne me wernt so great
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

but alson caldor has moved into outher stores to like Woolco
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Kmart much brighter interior than Walmart

well i hared of a Wal Mart that is getting a make over with brown walls and ghard wod floring kida 70's huh lol who would wanan shop there lol:insane:
Caldor Forever!

AmesNewington

The Newington Wal-Mart is a dump. People from Hartford come to this store (they have one thereon Flatbush Ave or something.) It's fine at 8 or 9AM, but after 11AM it's trashed. Boxes are also all over the aisles. It is terrible. We like the one in Rocky Hill. The Newington one was a Bradlees which closed in 1996. Wal-Mart built from the ground up in 2001. This Wal-Mart is just a poor excuse for a store. They don't even have enough registers open to accomodate the crowd. Target across the street is not this way. It's a big, clean, friendly, and quiet store. And they aren't that expensive as Wal-Mart. I have to say they don't differ that much.

tokensafari

It's quite funny. I have 5 Wally World SuperCenters in my area and every single one of them is laid out differently than the other. I go in one expecting to go directly where i need to go, and i have to learn the layout of a new store. Where as other stores keep with the same layout. Maybe it's a regional thing? They all are the same in terms of design. The two big pillar like entrances out front and they ALL have the hardwood floors in 'em. The only difference on one is... it's light brown with "Wal-Mart" in red lettering instead of white. Where as the other 4 are blue and gray with "Wal-Mart" in white.

store215

I'm glad we don't have any Supercenters where I live. :roll: I think that the price of land is too expensive for them to build on, and all the Union grocery stores will keep them away for a while.

store215

Eckerd: Dirty, overcrowded, dark stores(for the mostpart as most of Eckerd's stores were and still are in old strip centers) with prices higher than competing stores. Also weak in store-branded products (is slowly getting better with the new Brooks ownership)

Walgreens: Bright, clean, and modern stores in High-Traffic areas, usually in lower-upper middle class areas. Most stores have drive-thrus and are open 24 hours, but has an atmosphere of a "7-11 with a pharmacy counter".

CVS: Very clean, modern stores with good sales, but regular prices are so-so (but better than Eckerd). You have to use a "tracking card" for getting the sale prices which can be annoying.  Most stores are in higher-middle-upper class neighborhoods with new ones being free-standing or in very small strip centers.

Rite Aid: Usually in lower-upper middle class areas. Newer stores are freestanding and are combined with a GNC store. Newer stores have a drive thru and are open late or 24 hrs. Good prices on just about everything and a decent store brand, but they still have many old and cluttered stores with 70's decor, and close really early at night. (The few Rite Aids near me seem to be closed by 8 or 9:00)

Caldor1999

i prefure Target over Wal Mart anytime Target is not scred to sell ratied R Moves ect Wal Mart dosent do that

i also preffure dept stores over wal mart well just about evrey thing over them lol
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

Wal-Mart isn't scared to sell Rated R movies. Although they only sell them to people 18 years or older. They are, on the other hand, scared to sell cd's with explicit lyrics. They also won't sell spray paint, white out, and octane boosters.  < - All where i live, but this might not be so in your state, because laws vary by state.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
Wal-Mart isn't scared to sell Rated R movies. Although they only sell them to people 18 years or older. They are, on the other hand, scared to sell cd's with explicit lyrics. They also won't sell spray paint, white out, and octane boosters.  < - All where i live, but this might not be so in your state, because laws vary by state.

huh thats funny yet the sold guns there

and mean while since when did u havhe to be 18 to get a raated R Movie i though it was 17 and up????
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

Caldor1999

but i though you would have to be 17 to go see a Rated R Movie unless they changed it :mad:
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

No they didn't. You have to be 17 to see a rated r movie at the theatre, but you have to be 18 to buy one.

Caldor1999

No they didn't. You have to be 17 to see a rated r movie at the theatre, but you have to be 18 to buy one.

huh thats kida silly u have to be 17 to see it in theathers but u have to be 18 to by the movie that u already saw i think its kida strange in a way o wll im gonna be turning 18 in papril any way heh
Caldor Forever!

Toys_R_Us_55

let's see what i can think of?

Ah yes!Here we go..

The disney store of the past,And the warner Bros. studio store of the past

(if you are wondering what  warner Bros. studio store was, they were a chain exactly like the disney store execpt the sold cartoon network and loony tunes stuff and They didn't have pooh and mickey..)

note that i am recalling all the wbss stuff from 1999 so if i don't describe it enough don't blame be, i was only 6 years old!
Warner Bros. Studio store had a black facade, sold spiderman,batman,superman,loony tunes,etc. stuff..
Had warner bros. logo on front of store

the disney store. had a purple facade,two HUGE windows showing rotating models of goofy,mickey,donald, minnie..you get the idea.
also had a huge movie screen showing the next disney movie coming out soon..

interesting note about WBSS at my local,upscale, and extremely evil:flaming: mall, the wbss were only one store away from a warner bros. men's clothing shop!:huh:

tokensafari

Toys R Us's new lay out is not up to par. No wonder their sales are dropping like weights! THey are definately not what they used to be.  It really is sad that they have gone to this type of layout. It's dull, bland, and very un-imaginative.

Caldor1999

funny how wal mart opens a store and target opens right next to it and dose just as well of even better then teh wal mart thats its next to i like this move targets doing maby they can beet wal mart in sales at least that would eb a good thing
Caldor Forever!

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

and mean while since when did u havhe to be 18 to get a raated R Movie i though it was 17 and up????

You can just use a Self Checkout :P

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

You can just use a Self Checkout :P

lol there ya go
Caldor Forever!