Summer weather.....then frost

Started by TheFugitive, October 17, 2017, 01:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

It has been an unusually warm October here in Pittsburgh.
Daytime highs in the 70's, even 80's.  Nighttime lows in the high 50's.
Has not really seemed like Fall at all.....until last night.

It went down into the mid-30's.  We had frost warnings.
I had to cover my tomato plants as they are still blossoming and growing fruit.
The trees around here are for the most part still green.  I have never seen this
so late in October before.  I think after last night though they've gotten the message.

I actually got more than halfway through October before I had to turn my furnace on.

BillyGr

It's been the same (practically) up here as far as Albany (NY) - some areas further north in the state did have frosts earlier but here it wasn't until the same night you mention.

We even set a record back in September with an official heatwave (3 days 90+) which had never occurred in fall before (it was on the 24th-26th).
Although there was a set of 3-90+ records just prior (21st-23rd) but not all three days are within fall (and interestingly, those three days occurred in 95 - 1895!).

JJBers

Quote from: BillyGr on October 19, 2017, 06:52:18 PM
It's been the same (practically) up here as far as Albany (NY) - some areas further north in the state did have frosts earlier but here it wasn't until the same night you mention.

We even set a record back in September with an official heatwave (3 days 90+) which had never occurred in fall before (it was on the 24th-26th).
Although there was a set of 3-90+ records just prior (21st-23rd) but not all three days are within fall (and interestingly, those three days occurred in 95 - 1895!).

While I was hot, maybe due to the fact that I'm closer to the ocean (about 30 miles to Long Island Sound), I got more moderate temperatures.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)