Bit of a surprise - Ames #1206 is no more

Started by MikeinBuffalo, October 24, 2017, 03:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeinBuffalo

Hey, all:

Went on a pilgrimage to what once was Ames #1206 in South Buffalo/West Seneca, N.Y. However, to my surprise, I was greeted with this:

It's gone! Replaced by those apartment building in the distance. The only thing untouched was a small section of the original parking lot (which you can see is greyer and crumblier than the surrounding pavement) and one old street light. How sad.

Now that #1077 has fallen, the only remaining Ameses near me are up in Medina or out in Collins, N.Y, both solid hour drives away from me.

Getting to be the end of an era.

At least Blasdell Pizza is still there down the street. Mmm...
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

JJBers

Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on October 24, 2017, 03:23:32 PM
Hey, all:

Went on a pilgrimage to what once was Ames #1206 in South Buffalo/West Seneca, N.Y. However, to my surprise, I was greeted with this:

It's gone! Replaced by those apartment building in the distance. The only thing untouched was a small section of the original parking lot (which you can see is greyer and crumblier than the surrounding pavement) and one old street light. How sad.

Now that #1077 has fallen, the only remaining Ameses near me are up in Medina or out in Collins, N.Y, both solid hour drives away from me.

For nearly everyone but us, that's 20x better than it was before. (Newish apartments compared to a crumbling Ames)
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

TheFugitive

Is that near any sort of a transit line?

There is a similar development going up next to South Hills Village in Pittsburgh.
This is next to a "T" light rail station.
Part of some Federal program to encourage housing development along transit lines.

MikeinBuffalo

Quote from: JJBers on October 24, 2017, 03:50:41 PM
Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on October 24, 2017, 03:23:32 PM
Hey, all:

For nearly everyone but us, that's 20x better than it was before. (Newish apartments compared to a crumbling Ames)

Absolutely, and it's a very nice complex. I was just surprised because this was still Ames last October.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

MikeinBuffalo

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 25, 2017, 10:12:06 AM
Is that near any sort of a transit line?

There is a similar development going up next to South Hills Village in Pittsburgh.
This is next to a "T" light rail station.
Part of some Federal program to encourage housing development along transit lines.

Not transit. It is near the entrance of the 400 expressway, which might have something to do with it.