Modell's Sporting Goods

Started by TRU7536, June 27, 2005, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

NY based store, loved them! They seemed to be expanding, opening up stores in CT. Newington when open in mid august! Got to go to Mo's!! People say their the walmart of sporting godd stores.

store215

I really don't know too much about them, even though they are everywhere in the Philly area. They don't seem different than any other sporting goods store---with equally overpriced products.

d_fife

modell's opened in nh a year or two ago.

this modell's is in staten island ny on hylan ave

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1137876847&subNum=10207000030

d_fife

d_fife

here is the modell's in manchester CT in the same plaza as toys r us / petsmart etc.

d_fife

d_fife

modell's in waterbury CT adjacent to kmart plaza

d_fife

modells in mohegan lake ny (peekskill or cortlandt)

d_fife

modell's in central valley ny (harriman or monroe)

d_fife

modell's hamden ct across the hamden mart

standa

I just noticed from the DJM realty website that Modell's is trying to sublease locations in Hamden, Newington, and Waterbury, CT.  I was totally unaware they wanted to close those stores.  Did anyone know?

MikeRa

We also have lots of Modell's out here in the Philadelphia area.  Here is a list of a couple of them:

• Neshaminy Mall, Bensalem, PA: This Modell's is in the former Ramon Posel/AMC Premiere Twin Theatre building.
  • Roosevelt Mall, Philadelphia, PA: This Modell's is in the former Herman's World Of Sporting Goods location
  • The Gallery, Philadelphia, PA: This Modell's is in the old basement level of Gimbels (Gimbel Brothers) Department Store, which is shared with FYE and the Food Court
  • Franklin Mills Mall, Philadelphia, PA
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: standa on June 16, 2011, 11:42:56 AM
I just noticed from the DJM realty website that Modell's is trying to sublease locations in Hamden, Newington, and Waterbury, CT.  I was totally unaware they wanted to close those stores.  Did anyone know?

Don't know. I was at the one in Waterbury today and they were very much open.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on February 09, 2012, 02:42:47 PM
Quote from: standa on June 16, 2011, 11:42:56 AM

Don't know. I was at the one in Waterbury today and they were very much open.

Yea..the Newington one is kicking as well!

retailisking

Are they simply trying to sublease some space in the store? I know that a number of retailers are looking to reduce their selling space as their online business makes it unnecessary to have such huge retail locations.

standa

The Hamden, CT store is open too.  Look at the DJM website and see what you think.  They may want to close in the future.  I remember Blockbuster was for lease months before showing signs of closing.

http://www.djmrealty.com/Listings/propertyInquiry.asp?sid=SP

standa

On DJM realty website, at search you scroll projects to "junior box new england" you get a bunch of Modell's.

retailisking

I think you guys have the situation nailed. Looks like Modell's wants out of those spaces altogether.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on June 21, 2011, 07:25:22 PM
We also have lots of Modell's out here in the Philadelphia area.  Here is a list of a couple of them:

• Neshaminy Mall, Bensalem, PA: This Modell's is in the former Ramon Posel/AMC Premiere Twin Theatre building.
  • Roosevelt Mall, Philadelphia, PA: This Modell's is in the former Herman's World Of Sporting Goods location
  • The Gallery, Philadelphia, PA: This Modell's is in the old basement level of Gimbels (Gimbel Brothers) Department Store, which is shared with FYE and the Food Court
  • Franklin Mills Mall, Philadelphia, PA
There is a Modell's in Clifton Heights, located in the former General Cinema/Eric/United Artists Clifton Heights Twin Theatre

TRU7536

Quote from: retailisking on February 11, 2012, 04:18:50 PM
I think you guys have the situation nailed. Looks like Modell's wants out of those spaces altogether.

So I was watching undercover boss and the CEO of Modells was on. Seems like all the CT aren't doing so well and might be closing. The manager of the Milford caught him and he said the CT are the " red headed step child" of the company. They don't get half the stuff the NY stores get.

Hopefully they fix the problem with the CT stores soon.

ynkeesfn82

For those of you who missed it the first time catch Mitchell Modell on an encore of Undercover Boss this Friday Night at 8PM Eastern on CBS.

ynkeesfn82

I've been wanting to comment on this for a while, but I forgot about it. Anyway my family prefers to read a real newspaper and a real sales flyer rather than go online.

Every Sunday in the Hartford Courant there is a small ad for Modell's. It usually features one item and then it says "Stop by our Store to pick up a copy of our sales circular".

Do you think not putting the sales flyer in Sunday Hartford Courant (and other newspapers) hurts them? Personally I like to look at all the sales flyers to see if there is a deal on something I want to buy before I go somewhere and buy it. Modell's does not have a location in my town. There are 2 Modell's near me - one in Waterbury and one in Newington. Both are more than a 20 minute drive for me. Unless I have a specific reason to go to Waterbury or Newington I'm not going there just to pick up their sales flyer.

Then again I'm just talking out of my butt here as in the 3 times I've actually been to Modell's I've never bought anything.

standa

They do put fliers in the New Haven Register

MikeRa

Quote from: standa on August 31, 2014, 07:59:56 AM
They do put fliers in the New Haven Register
Modells also put flyers in the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Bucks County Courier Times

MikeRa

Modell's Sporting Goods is a sporting goods retailer with locations in the Northeastern United States.  Modell's carries both sporting goods and related apparel.  Modell's currently has more than 140 retail locations in ten states and the District of Columbia.  Here is a pic of the Modell's location at Neshaminy Mall, Bensalem, PA.  This is located in the former Posel's/AMC Premiere Twin Theatre