20 Malls that are in danger of closing

Started by giantsfan2016, September 06, 2017, 06:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

The report does not say specifically WHICH mall in Toledo is closing.
My daughter lived near the Franklin Park Mall, and it seems pretty healthy.

When I lived in that area I shopped at the Southwyck Mall, which has
already been demolished.

MikeinBuffalo

Looks like Dan Bell has some new targets for his Dead Mall youtube series.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

mixedday

Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on September 06, 2017, 05:08:29 PM
Looks like Dan Bell has some new targets for his Dead Mall youtube series.

Seems like the list is compromised of some nonsense though, including two MD locations on the list. Cockeysville MD has no mall. It used to have the Hunt Valley Mall, but it's now a successful lifestyle center anchored by Wegmans. The center lost Sears recently - that is the only connection.

As for PREIT's Valley Mall in Hagerstown, it's having a big anchor shakeup: Sears is closing/closed, Macy's closed and the Bon Ton will be replaced by Belk, but ironically the inside of the mall doesn't have that many vacancies. There is still a JCPenney and Old Navy, and Belk is joining the mall as mentioned. PREIT will probably find a new tenant in the (soon to be closing/closed) Sears space before the former Macy's space.

mjb1124

The one in Watchung is not attached to a mall either - it's a standalone store with a separate auto center on the property.   It looks like the site is set for redevelopment, including a movie theater.

buzz86us

I highly doubt that Colonie center is going anywhere anytime soon especially with BJ's brewpub opening in the Sears Autocenter..I think it'll eventually become like an event center if the mall fails the old FYE store is massive and could become a concert venue

jason83080

Middleburg Heights - at the Southland Shopping Center - isn't attached to a mall. It's a freestanding building next to the BJ's Wholesale Club over there (itself having been built on top of a previous strip center, which once housed Petries/Petries Plus and the Chuck-E-Cheese-esque Marc's Funtime Pizza Palace back in the day). I doubt Southland is going anywhere, since it's home to a colossal-sized Giant Eagle, the first-ever Marc's (local to Ohio) discount store, OfficeMax, and a boatload of other stores.

I'm sure that something will buy the property there and build a new store, or take over the Sears building (it's a nice-looking complex) and repurpose it for something. Maybe Dick's will come back, or perhaps Kronheims Furniture? I doubt Burlington would move, unless they wanted to be out of the basement level underneath the old Dick's store, but Sears is much too large of a space for just a Burlington. Check out a couple pictures at this site:

http://www.roadarch.com/modarch/ohretail.html