Main Menu

Delaware Ames stores

Started by rsammataro1126, March 22, 2019, 09:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsammataro1126

Howdy Y'all,

Going through the forums and realizing there's a bit of a lack in representation of stores in Delaware and wanted to do whatever I could to keep them alive...

For one, I've pinpointed the location of the former Ames store in Rehoboth Beach, which was located on the aptly named Ames Dr. in Rehoboth Beach. The store has long been demo'd however the namesake of the store remains. There's not too much info available but I'm certain in the store's location not only from the road name, but also from my Grandmother who frequented the store in the late '90s and early '00s

The second Delaware store I know of is the Dover store, which was subdivided and occupied after Ames left into TJMaxx and Toys "R" Us in Dover, DE. I made a video on the vacant Toys R Us on my YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUpYbqwaZuU). The Ames here closed sometime in late '92 or early '93

Then there is of course the Seaford, DE store which is pretty well documented in the forum. Fun fact though, the name of the road still appears on Google Maps as Ames Plaza

Lastly is perhaps a bit of a longshot but what I suspect to be another former Ames in Millsboro, DE.

The store is now a Roses (who I could easily see taking over a former Ames store) and looks like it has the old shingled pattern of the 1970s and 80s era stores, likely with a red or white logo. Additionally, the roadside sign looks like it has the exact same side-length ratio as a typical Ames sign

According to an old article I found on DailyPress (https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19921031-1992-10-31-9210300356-story.html) in 1992 there were 6 Delaware Ames stores, with the article referencing two by name, the one in Dover and another store in Smyrna I haven't been able to pinpoint yet. This makes sense with the other (potentially) known stores, with Rehoboth, Seaford, and Millsboro making up for 3 of the other 4 stores the article makes reference to...

Please if you know where the Smyrna store or the 6th unnamed store (likely in the Wilmington area) is please let me know!

rsammataro1126

UPDATE: My goofy butt only had to do a quick Google search to figure out where in Smyrna the Ames store was. It was located at

116 E. Glenwood Rd, Smyrna, DE

and is now subdivided into AutoZone and Dollar General alongside a few other, smaller stores.

Pic from joshaustin610 on Flickr
(www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/8245492064)

Now all we're missing is the last store which I would imagine to be in the Wilmington area in the northern part of the state... Let the manhunt (or Ames-hunt) continue!

catnapped

(2+ years beyond the sell by date on this post but, whatever LOL)

Are you just looking for Ames stores before a certain year/time period or all that existed?  There were several in northern Delaware at various points in time.