Applebees/I-Hop closing up to 160 locations

Started by giantsfan2016, August 10, 2017, 05:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Dine Equity parent company of Applebees/I-Hop will be closing up to 160 locations. At the same time they plan on open many more - mostly overseas.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/08/10/many-160-applebees-and-ihop-locations-close/556343001/

EddieJ1984

There are a ton of applebees (The place I've been to most on 1st dates is definitely applebee's).
Interestingly they are currently building an applebees in northeast philly on roosevelt blvd replacing a store that burnt down a year ago.

TheFugitive

I hope they don't close the one in Toledo where they carded me a week
before I turned 52.  I want to go back there next year.  ;)

jason83080

The one in Westlake, OH, across from Crocker Park closed very quietly a while back, and is now something (expensive, I'm sure) called "Rosewood Grill." I don't think it relocated into CP itself, so I'm guessing it outright closed up shop.

The one in Elyria, OH, that's attached to the now-vacant PremierBank & Trust/FirstMerit 3-floor compound is one that I could see being closed down, just because of the area that it happens to be in. Midway Mall's been dying for years, and it's pretty much the only outparcel restaurant left around the mall itself besides Red Lobster. RL's advantage for survival is that there isn't another one around. Applebee's, on the other hand, has two other locations that patrons could visit - Lorain by Lighthouse Village, and Avon Commons - before you get to Great Northern and the next closest one so, while it would be sad to see another restaurant close and sit vacant, it wouldn't be surprising to see it consolidated out of the picture.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the IHOP down that way closes up, too. The plaza's mildly successful - it's 100% occupied again with the trampoline park occupying the old Circuit City, although I'm really not sure how much longer that often-quiet Target can hold on - so it might have a chance to survive. Red Robin couldn't make it, so maybe IHOP will prove me wrong. It hasn't gotten the "it's now called IHOP" makeover, though...

MikeRa

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on August 10, 2017, 09:32:58 PM
There are a ton of applebees (The place I've been to most on 1st dates is definitely applebee's).
Interestingly they are currently building an applebees in northeast Philly on Roosevelt blvd replacing a store that burnt down a year ago.
The Applebee's in the Philadelphia area are franchise locations owned by The Rose Group.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"