AMESFANCLUB
August 17, 2017, 07:13:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 8/11/17 - In the coming days I will be doing some clean-up on the forums - organizing topics better, adding new boards, etc. Can't tell you when it will be finished. I have plenty of time to do it, but the question is motivation. LOL. - Peace out Your Favorite Admin - Brammy.

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Names Have Been Changed to Protect the Innocent  (Read 161 times)
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« on: August 03, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »

Listing out the most memorable associates who worked for me at Ames:
(*their names have been changed to protect the innocent)

Rob Skeezer - Bicycle Assembler.  Ames was unique among the retailers I worked for as we assembled bikes in-house.  (most chains let an outside contractor do it as they carried special insurance and took any legal product liability for what they assembled).  Rob was a dead-ringer for Howard Sprague on the old Andy Griffith Show, though he was not nearly as clean.  His work space was always a pig sty, and he had personal hygiene issues which made it very hard to get other employees to work near him.  He spent most of his time hidden away in his little assembly area in the loft up above layaway.  We had a local potato chip vendor who would come in periodically and give us credit for the expired product.  Rather than take it back he'd empty the expired chips into a 55 gallon drum and take just the wrappers.  We'd dump them in the compactor later.  Long story short......we had to fire Rob after this guy's trash can disappeared and we found it up in the assembly loft with approximately 20 gallons of expired chips having been eaten.

Bonnie Smegler - Night Stock - She was one of those employees who just didn't get it.  Show her how to do something fifteen times, and she'd still screw it up.  We swore that she did this on purpose, using the old adage "if I screw this up bad enough, they'll never ask me to do it again".  Bonnie had suffered some type of a head injury in her past, and actually had some sort of a plate in her head.  When you would sit her down to counsel her after she screwed-up some task she would look at you and say, "It's not my fault, Mr. Fugitive, I can't help it.  After all, I only have half a brain."   I mean, what can you possibly say in response to a thing like that?  Absolutely nothing! Shortly before the bankruptcy Ames spun-off the jewelry department to a lease vendor (JBA) and when we had to give them 3 employees Bonnie was #1 on our list.  She was their problem now.

Sean Dalton - This fellow showed up at an interview one day looking like a cross between a ZZ Top album cover and a painting of Jesus.  Long, LONG black hair flowing down to the middle of his back, full black beard, tattoos and an earring.  The other members of management sneered and snickered.  "Let's let The Fugitive interview this guy!"  I sat down with him, and honestly found him to be one of the most intelligent guys I'd ever talked to.  After he left the other managers came over for a recap.  "You guys are going to laugh, but I honestly think he is one of the smartest people I've ever met!"  We hired him, trained him as a backup receiver, and he did a really excellent job.   Our receiver eventually got promoted to management in another store, and we moved Sean into that job.  He continued to perform extremely well.  I was highly disappointed then to learn that a few months after I left the store he got caught as the ringleader of a group of five employees who were stealing by taking merchandise out the back door and concealing it in the trash.  He ended up doing some jail time.

Rhonda Mandarel - She was a cash office and invoicing clerk.  She was blonde and very shapely, probably was a 42 DD bra size.  Guys would meet her and their eyes would be immediately glued to those.  Being blonde with large breasts, many guys treated her as if she were stupid, and she played along.  She would launch into her best Betty Boop or Carol Wayne impression, and come across as a total ditz.  But in reality, she was one of the smartest women I'd ever met!  She would just play along with being dumb because she knew she could get information out of whoever she was talking to that could benefit her in the future.  Absolutely NO ONE was better at figuring out screwed-up drawer shortages and balancing the safe than Rhonda.  She would also give very sage advice on various personal problems.  Very smart lady!

Ben Koehler - He was an 18 year-old kid who swept floors and cleaned the rest rooms and parking lot.  Very nice kid.  He was slow.  He had some sort of a learning disability or mental development issue.  His dad was a very prominent citizen in the town where they lived about twelve miles down the road.  I believe he was on the town council, and was some sort of an elder or deacon in their Church.  One day Ben's parents split up when his mom learned her husband was having an affair.  Ben was devastated.  He would come to work dejected, depressed and crying.  Then he learned that the woman whom his dad had been cheating on his mom with worked in our shoe department!  This created a very tense and difficult situation for store management.  Ben would keep going back to the shoe department to yell at her and accuse her of breaking up his family.  We could not allow that to go on, but had to be careful how we treated Ben because he was special needs, and probably did not fully comprehend how his actions were not appropriate. This was one of the saddest situations I had to deal with in my time at Ames.

Eva Gutierrez - Cashier.  She was 37 years old, but looked very, very young.  Long, flowing dark brown hair, big beautiful eyes, and wore a pair of jeans extremely well.  While she was ringing 18 and 19 year old guys would come in constantly to hit on her, and she'd play along.  "Hi, what's your name?  Where do you go to school?  Do I know you?  Where did you say you go to school again?........OH....that's right, I do know you....you go to school with my son!"   The kids' tongues would fall out and they'd just about fall over on the floor.  I could stand there and watch her do that all day long, it was the funniest thing I ever saw!

Susie Diamond - Our gorgeous, sexy Damages and Defectives clerk.  I married that one.  Wink
Brammy
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »

Shouldn't that be the names have been changed to protect the guilty? LOL.

Anyway it was disappointing to me that by time I moved to a town where they had an AMES the company was gone.  I always wanted to work at one. We moved to Southington, CT in 2003.

We all have worked with an interesting cast of characters.

~Marc B~
Southington, Connecticut
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:29:12 PM »

Ron Plett - an Assistant Manager I worked with in one of the stores.  A strange, strange dude, shrouded in mystery.  A man of few words, nobody ever seemed to get much out of him regarding his past. The only things I knew about him were that he grew up in Indiana and had been the manager of some discount store in Bloomington, Illinois that had gone out of business. He was string-bean thin, with long, scraggly hair, and some attempt at a moustache that was never more than half grown.  His facial features looked vaguely Chinese, but he had about the palest skin of anyone I'd ever met.  Even though he was from Indiana in all the time I worked with him I never saw him not wearing a pair of cowboy boots.

I knew this guy would be a character when I first met him.  I shook his hand and said, "Welcome to Michigan!  What do you think so far?"  He thought about it for a minute, rubbed his chin then said, "Well, the women are a whole lot more promiscuous than they were back in Indiana".

Obviously that was trouble.  He got involved in a series of bad judgments which resulted in his marriage self-destructing in full view of everyone in the store.  It started when a pretty young 17-year old girl working in his Ladies Department batted her eyes in a flirtatious manner and said, "Mr. Plett, can I borrow your car to go up to Burger King and get some lunch?"

Ron had a new Dodge Daytona on which he had made perhaps five payments.  To our utter amazement he tossed her the keys.  And of course, she totaled his car on the way back.

This was not easy to explain to Mrs. Plett.  I don't know what sort of tensions were going on in their marriage up to that point, because he never talked about them.  But this sure did not help.  Rather than learn his lesson things actually got worse when he began an actual affair with one of the other women in his department.

Now, I have to say, in this particular store there were perhaps three to four dozen of the best looking women I had ever seen working as employees.  The one he picked to cheat on his wife with was not one of them.  Very plain, built like a pencil, with a mean, clipped face.  A nasty, bitter personality (her sister worked for me, and at least she was pleasant).  When I first learned of this my first gut reaction was "what, he couldn't even pick one with breasts?".   As strangely has been the case with virtually every married man I know who cheated, the wife he had at home was MUCH better looking than the woman he was having the affair with.

His wife found out about this and of course filed for divorce.  She made sure that the constable served him with papers at the checkouts, in front of all the customers on a busy Saturday at Christmastime.  I heard she then went to work for Walmart, and ended up having a fairly successful career in management there.

Last I heard he and the mean, skinny clipped-faced girl were still together, living in a small Midwestern city.

I have this idea for a novel or a movie script about a shabby low-life detective who lives in Detroit.
It includes this character, a bounty hunter, who is based on Ron Plett.
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »

Stacy Rabbit -  Stacy was a 16-year old part-time cashier.  She was dating Jared, a kid who worked in hardlines.   Our store closed at 9PM, and after the cashiers counted out their drawers we typically kept them for another 30-40 minutes to straighten-up the store.  Was really never much more than that (we would have blown payroll, among other things).

One night after we released the employees Stacy and Jared went out on a date.  They were out very late.  He brought her home sometime after midnight.  She got busted by her parents, who of course wanted to know where she had been.  Instead of telling them the truth she threw us under the bus, claiming that she had been at work at Ames, and that we had kept her on the clock to straighten the store.

Instead of calling us to complain, or to check and see whether their daughter was telling the truth about this, her parents called the Michigan Department of Labor.  They came to the store and pitched a tent up our rear ends for a week.  They audited EVERY time card of every employee who was under 18 back to the day the store had opened. The good news was that the time cards revealed that Stacy had punched out at 9:34  PM on the night in question, so we were off the hook on the actual complaint.

The bad news was that they hit us up with a violation for EVERY under-age employee who had clocked out even ONE MINUTE LATE for their required break.  In a store with 80 employees it is a practical impossibility to make sure that everyone gets their breaks timed down to the minute.  But the State of Michigan does not care apparently.  We were cited for each, and the total fines came to more than $10,000.  As a result we were told that we were no longer allowed to hire anyone under 18.

The Michigan Department of Labor hung around town for a few weeks, and audited ALL the retail businesses.  The guy who owned the Dairy Queen ran exclusively with under-age help.  They beat him up so badly he closed his store and it never reopened.  All because Stacy did not want to fess-up to her parents.

Mandy Sandavalas - She was an 18-year old girl who worked in our electronics department. She was 6 foot 3 with long, blonde hair.  She had an identical twin sister, Sandy, who worked at a convenience store up the street.  The two of them coming through the door together looked like 1/3 of a roller derby team.  Their dad was an immense mountain of a man....he barely fit through the front door at Ames!  They had a brother who was 13 lbs. when he was born!  I had grown-up with identical twin brothers, so I used to chat with Mandy about what it was like being a twin.  I told her "the really weird thing was when they became teenagers and started dating, girls would call the house and say 'Is Mark or Steve there?'  Like they didn't care which one they got."   She got this horrified look on her face and said, "Oh, God, I HATE when that happens!"

Leslie Starkamp - She was the Jewelry Department Manager.  She was always a difficult person to deal with.  Very stubborn and pushy.  We probably got more customer complaints about her than anyone else in the building.  Though we did not know it at the time, Ames was getting ready to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy.  In preparation for this, Ames senior management pulled a sleazy little maneuver where they spun-off the jewelry departments into a separate "leased department" called JBA. It was a separate company that would lease the jewelry department from Ames and run it, just like J. Baker Shoes did with our shoe departments. (the reason for this move was to put the gold and diamond inventory beyond the reach of Ames' creditors once the bankruptcy was filed).  In order to maintain the legal fiction that JBA was an independent operator, we were told that the Jewelry Manager no longer reported to Ames store management, and was answerable ONLY to her JBA Regional Manager.  We were literally forbidden to tell her what to do.

On a 1 to 10 scale, this took her from being an 8 to a 37 so far as making her difficult to handle.  Her JBA manager was based in Ohio, and would make the drive that far up into Michigan maybe once a quarter.  At all other times when we had an issue with her she would kind of sneer at us and say "I don't have to listen to you."  This was a BIG problem because although she was a JBA employee, she wore an Ames badge and an Ames smock.  So as far as any customer knew, she was representing Ames.  One day I took a phone call from a VERY angry woman.  She was very upset and was threatening to sue Ames.  I asked her what had happened, and she said that she had been called by our store for a reference on somebody we had interviewed for a job.  She had not had a particularly good experience with this person, and gave her a negative reference.  The candidate somehow found out about the negative reference, and came out to her farm to confront her.  She said that she had been threatened.

I was dumbfounded.  I could not imagine any of us on the management team being dumb enough to tell a rejected candidate that their reference said bad things about them.  I checked further, and none of us had even interviewed any candidates in over a week.

Finally I was able to put the pieces together.  Leslie had called this girl in to interview her for a job in the JBA jewelry department.  She called the references on a speaker phone, as the candidate was sitting there in the office with her!  The candidate thus heard every word they were saying about her.  This lady said some negative things, so the candidate got in her truck, drove to her farm and the confrontation ensued. 

I blamed Ames for this 100% because they had moved Leslie into a position of complete management authority without giving her ANY training on such issues.  And at the same time forbade the rest of us from supervising her in any way.

I don't know whether that lady ever sued Ames.  I apologized profusely, tripping all over myself trying to explain how this had happened.  It all sounded so stupid I could not believe the words were coming out of my mouth.
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:12:26 PM »

Tim Sweet - He was a hardlines manager I worked with.  He supposedly came from a family with a lot of money.  Had gone to prep school and then dropped out of some very elite college.  It all made you wonder "why is he schlepping around an Ames store then?"

This guy had a very nasty attitude. Obnoxious and arrogant.  He tended to be racist and bigoted, and say offensive things. When Ames bought Zayre they had this program where they sent an Ames manager into a Zayre store to train them, and vice-versa.  I got sent to a Zayre store in Jacksonville, Florida, and a manager from that store got sent to mine.   It turned out that the newly converted stores got IBM 4683 registers, but the girl who went to my store was being trained on the old 3680's.  So I rebooked my flight and spent a couple of extra days working with her after she got back there.

She was Asian....Chinese or Filipino or something.  She met me and was very upset about the store I came from.  In particular she was upset with Tim Sweet.  "He looked right at me and said, "You're funny looking, what are you?" (meaning what race).  I buried my head in my hands and shook it.  Because that was EXACTLY the kind of thing Tim WOULD say. I did my best to apologize to her on behalf of my store, and on behalf of Ames.

Tim also had some major issues with personal hygiene (B.O. seemed to be an ongoing challenge during my time at Ames).  He wore the same sticky looking sports jacket every day, which probably hadn't been dry cleaned in years.  Ames policy was that two members of management, or a manager and one other employee, had to go and make the bank drop every day.  It was almost impossible to get ANYONE in the building to go to the bank with Tim Sweet.  "Please don't make me go, Mr. Fugitive, I won't do it.  He just STINKS too bad!"  I generally had to force the issue and make them go anyway.

Several years after I left Ames my wife and I were shopping in a Phar-Mor when I saw Tim Sweet
stocking in one of the aisles.  I did not feel like approaching him to renew old times.  I gently steered my wife towards another aisle.  But as we passed the one he was in I kind of casually pointed to him and whispered to her, "See that guy over there, honey?  I used to work with him.  He's a real a**hole!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: