Name brand vs store brand

Started by giantsfan2016, October 19, 2018, 12:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

My Mom claims she can tell the difference between cookies made with store brand butter and chocolate chips rather than Land O'Lakes Butter and Toll House brand chocolate chips. I cannot tell the difference. Can anyone else tell the difference? There are other name brands of butter, but she will only use Land O'Lakes when baking.

TheFugitive

We made butter in Kindergarten.  It's churned heavy cream.  We each put some in a
baby food jar and shook it until it was butter.

That's all it is.  Churned cream with a little salt.
I don't see how it can vary much from one brand to another.
Not like other products that have lots of ingredients.

shore72

My grandfather told the story of buying locally made butter at the grocer back in the 20's-30's. He said if the farmer didn't tend to his pasture well the cows would eat wild onions and it would flavor the butter. I'd imagine with such big batches these days you wouldn't even notice if some of the milk had an off-taste.

TheFugitive

Quote from: shore72 on November 08, 2018, 09:37:28 PM
My grandfather told the story of buying locally made butter at the grocer back in the 20's-30's. He said if the farmer didn't tend to his pasture well the cows would eat wild onions and it would flavor the butter. I'd imagine with such big batches these days you wouldn't even notice if some of the milk had an off-taste.

There was a scene in Napoleon Dynamite about that.  He was in an FFA competition where they
had to taste milk and analyze what was wrong with it.  He correctly guessed that the cow had
gotten into an onion patch.

BillyGr

Or if they found that now, just make it into Sour Cream and use it for a pre-made Onion Dip!  Extra oniony ;)