Examples of BAD retail in movies and TV shows

Started by TheFugitive, July 19, 2017, 02:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Thought of this topic this morning when I got up and the movie Grosse Pointe Blank was on.
It is the story of a hitman who goes back for his 10 year high-school reunion (would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear THAT idea being pitched!)  One of the things he finds is that his mom has been committed to an asylum and his boyhood home has been sold, and there is now a convenience store on the site.

Some scenes take place inside this convenience store.  I immediately noticed that it was NOT set-up like any convenience store you would see in real life.  There was a large display of condoms on the front of the counter, and a giant Duracell battery rack in the corner.  As anyone knows, condoms and batteries are two of the most shoplifted items in any retail store.  Almost every convenience store keeps them behind the counter as a result.  On the pegboard behind the register where you would normally find these items they had an assortment of small bags of chips, an impulse item that any store would want out where customers can easily grab them.

Either the people who dressed this set did not have the slightest clue as to how retail really operates, or the director did this on purpose to reinforce the slightly surreal Bizarro World feel of the film. 

Another thing that bothers me is that in the story line he hooks-up with the girl he stood up at the prom, played by Minnie Driver (the very BEST American accent of any British actor or actress, in my opinion).  She is a DJ at a local radio station, where signs on the building and in the studio say that the frequency is 79.3, which is way below the bottom end of the FM dial.  Again, either they are clueless, or deliberately trying to be surreal.

I have also noticed that the people who made Seinfeld do not seem to have a clue about retail.
Anytime they enter a store on that show you can see massive amounts of empty pegboard.  I would have been fired for setting my end caps that way.

Anyone else have examples of this?