obsolte shopping areas

Started by d_fife, June 22, 2005, 06:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

In Hooksett NH: Daniel WEbster HWy is becoming Obsolete. like in the Granite STate Marketplace, everything is closing: KB TOYS, FAshion Bug, Video Update, Bookland, Hallmark store, Osco Drug, Olympia Sports and Payless Shoes have moved out and this trend has been going for 5 years and Wal-mart wants to move its 79,000 square foot store on South River Road to a 224,000 square foot Supercenter. The union leader said this. I was born in 1983 and I remember the Granite State MArketplace being built and new in 1988,  and Zayre adn Shaw's (it moved from a smaller location in Kmart Plaza that was built in 1974 to there as a Super Shaw's) were the anchors. Of course the Zayre was short lived, and it became an Ames, but that closed in 1990 in a round of bankruptcy closings and it became a Wal-mart around the fourth of July of 1991. THAT WAS THE FIRST WAL-MART IN NEW ENGLAND AND THE FIRST ONE I EVER WENT TO. Shaw's will remain in the plaza. DOwn the road, is the Kmart plaza that remained RK PLAza, the Kmart is fairly, big but is getting old, and the shaw's became Ben Franklin, which closed in 2004 and became a furniture place, and Toy Works, that closed in 1996, it opened in the Granite STate Marketplace a year later (But closed in early 2004 in the first wave of KB closings) and became a Dollar Tree in 2000, in 1991.

ON SOUTH RIVER ST OFF EXIT 10, THIS NEW PLAZA (Across the Cinema and IRving and the new Dunkin Donuts and Brewery factory) called Hooksett Commons Was built in early 2003, divided into sections: Section 1: target, Bed,bath and beyond (opened late 2003), MAtress Giant, and Nynex, section 2: kohl's, Staples, PAyless Shoe Source, WEndy's as an out of parcel pad, EB GAMEs, some store, Home dEpot (opened early 2004) behind TArget, BJ's Club across Home Depot south of Kohl's. DOwn the road from that is where they want to relocate Wal-mart to Super Wal-mart and build Lowe's near it. The shopping in Hooksett is shifting from DW HWY TO EXIT 10. the stoers in hooksett on dW  hwy are a few miles from the hwy and the road is having a hard time handling the traffic.

In LAkes REgion: in 1994, the outlet mall opened, Wal-mart opened in Summer of 1995, Burger King opened in 1994 near McDonald's that is near Super 8 (I don't remember when MCDs opened). The Pike Industries got torn down in mid 1990s and IN 1998 it was rebuilt into Shaw's Plaza with Shaw's, Applebee's, Staples and Woodworkers warehouse (That closed last year and is becoming new stoers), In 1998 KFC opened near BK and Dunkin DOnuts was built across BK, IN November 2001 Home Depot opened near the OUTLET MALLS, to the left, and WEndy's and 99 Restuarant opened near HOme Depot in 2002. last year a Pizzera uno was built in the parking lot of the outlet malls, In June 2004 MArket Basket finally opened near Wal-mart (it took many many years to finally open that). Lowe's is planning to build near WAl-mart by agway.

3.5 miles down the road in Tilton near the border of Franklin the Townline plaza was dying. A&P closed in 1994. tHE AMES WAs very small and closed in early 2002 in a round of closings. 6 miles up the road, about 10 or 11 years ago the Belknap Mall started to die, it was loosing stores, in 1996 Decelle closed and blockbuster replaced it. IT was dying and dying. they remodeled the mall a few years ago, but that did not help. Ames closed in 2002. Shaw's is small. The mall was built in 1973 with Zayre and Shaw's as anchors. Zayre was where Decelle was. In 1988 they added a new wing to the mall with more stoers and a bigger Zayre. zayre became Ames in 1989 and the old Zayre became Decelle. 9 miles from TIlton in Gilford the Lakes REgion Plaza started to die when the Rich's Plaza opened across the street, in 1991. It was first anchored by Rich's, Shop'n save and TJ MAxx. in 1997 Rich's closed and became wal-mart in 1998 and the Wal-0mart is small, and TJ maxx moved across the street from LAkes region plaza in 2001 and became Home goods in 2002, and Hannaford wants to move across the street to the LAkes REgion Plaza that is being demolished, and CVS moved in 2003 to a bigger location. In the Lakes region plaza, it had a Kmart (IT WAS VERY SMALL AND TRASHY AND MY DAD SAID IT WAS A WT GRANT), Jackson Star MArket, osco drug, and Jackon star market closed in may 1996, OSco relocated to Rite aid it bought out in late 2000, Kmart closed in Summer 2001 because its lease expired and poor sales (It was not in any mass purge of store closings, THAT KMART WAS THE WORST), The lakes region plaza got demolished at the VERY END OF 2004 and is beign rebuilt into a new plaza called Winnepesaki Crossings with Lowe's and relocated HAnnaford, The fate of the cinema in the plaza (A very old and small cinema). So everybody in Lakes region shops in Tilton, as these malls called Belknap MAll, Lakes region Plaza and Rich's plaza where in Belmont and Gilford near the border of LAconia.

downtowns lost alot of stores as shopping shifts else where to town.

IN CT: I SAID THIS BEFORE:

TOys r us in Waterbury CT: I DO RESEARCH ON THESE MALLS, though I have not been to WAterbury.

IT seems that TOys r us had an older store on Wolcott st, and moved it in the mid-late 90s near a newer mall. I heard Toys r us was across the NAugautauck valley mall that got demolished. WHAT HAPPENED TO NAGAUTAUCK VALLEY MALL AND WHY WAS IT DEMOLISHED AND WHY DID THEY PUT A NEW MALL ELSEWHERE. I GUESS WOLCOTT ST Became a obsolete shopping area. The shopping I guess shifted to the brass center mall.

IN East haven the Toys r us in EAst HAven Closed IT was in East HAven Ct. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAT STORE or SEEN IT. I HEARD IT WAS NEAR A BRADLEES (I HAVE A FRIEND AT MY COLLEGE WHO LIVES IN THE TOWN NEXT DOOR). IT was on frontage road nex to Bradlees, that closed in around of closings, and the shopping strip is obsolete because a Kmart moved many years ago and it is now a junk shop called NAtional Whole Sale Liquidators, from what I was told. I was told there was Child world in the TJ MAXX PLAZA. THE article said the parking lot was not full or something like that around X-mas,  IT SEEMS THAT EVERY STORE AROUND NEW HAVEN IS OLDER LOOKING AND NEW HAVEN BARES THE BRUNT OF STORE CLOSINGS.
I HEARD A MALL IN NEW HAVEN CALLED CHAPEL SQUARE MALL CLOSED RIGHT? WHAT WAS IT LIKE?

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Waterbury put a new mall elseware to redevelop the "brownfield" of Scoville factory and its school of Brass Mills

Hense the name "Brass Mill Center"

and like being lured toward making new money and more conveinent business the rest of the stores followed hense leaving Wolcott Street with "dust" (vacant stores)

Some of you, could you please give me your comments on obsolete shopping areas you have seen and the obsolete shopping Areas I have posted on my first message.

Zayre88

The northern part of Skowhegan ME is still alive but no more a shopping area.  Ames and Kmart closed their stores and Shop'n save moved to the new Wal-Mart shopping center leaving another big hole.

The area only has restaurants and few small stores left.  It's funny because the stores there used to be the attraction but Wal-Mart shifted the consumers (and Hannaford) to the area where they are.

McDonald's moved near Wal-Mart, Wendy's opened there, Rite Aid has a big recent pharmacy also.  Pizza Hut came too early and opened in the Ames plaza.  The center is now half empty because Bob's Discount closed this week.

Now the north part of town looks desolate but has restaurants located near empty shopping centers...

Rayco7030

d_fife

posted on 22/6/2005 at 11:00 PM
I was told there was Child world in the TJ MAXX PLAZA.

Child World Rip 1990's
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayco7030
d_fife

Child World Rip 1990's

Rayco7030 what do you mean you told there was a child world in TJ Maxx plaza

By the way about skowhegan, I have hard that Kmart closed in 1996 and was never remodeled and 40,000 square feet. Good example of the changing of north Skowhegan. I have never been to skowhegan.

downtowns are obsolete, since everyone goes out that area. In biddeford maine it is that way, when Wal-mart opeened 10 years ago, it opened on Rt.111 near the highway. WEndy's opened near Wal-mart. 2 years later shaw's opened there. 4 years ago Home Depot opened a little down the road from wal-mart, and last year Kohl's, Applebee's opened near HOmE Depot, and next year a HUGE PLAZA WITH Lowe's and TArget will be built near HOme Depot (Down the road from wal-mart). Everything was a little up the road, in The 5 points Plaza it had Rich's, RIch's closed in early 97 with the rest of the chain and became STaples. the plaza has nto died and a few years ago a 99 restuarant opened in the plaza, and up the road was major, like it had STuart's, and Elm st is just restuarants and secondary chains like HOme vision, Rite Aid.

In Milford NH everything opened near the Rt. 101 Rotary, the Lordon plaza opened over 15 years ago, Burger king built there 10 years ago, a new McDonald's kust opened there and a STop and shop will be built. 3 miles west of the Rt.101 rotary is the Granite STate Plaza with Ames and IGA that closed. Everything in Milford went to near the Rt.101 Rotary. But Market BAsket opened west of the Ames 10 years ago.

In Sanford maine near the downtown was an area with the Mid-mall and Mcds and Sanford plaza with marden's. All the Shopping moved east when the Center for Shopping was built, like 15 years ago, with Shaw's and Ames (PROBABLY A ZAYRE BEFORE THE AMES), the Cinema and several stores. Shaw's and Ames were in the downtown area. Wendy's opened near the center for shopping in 1993 (i saw something say wendy's opened 1993), Wal-mart opened probably 1993.

I am interested to hear more obsolete shopping areas.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
QuoteOriginally posted by Rayco7030
d_fife

Child World Rip 1990's

Rayco7030 what do you mean you told there was a child world in TJ Maxx plaza

By the way about skowhegan, I have hard that Kmart closed in 1996 and was never remodeled and 40,000 square feet. Good example of the changing of north Skowhegan. I have never been to skowhegan.

downtowns are obsolete, since everyone goes out that area. In biddeford maine it is that way, when Wal-mart opeened 10 years ago, it opened on Rt.111 near the highway. WEndy's opened near Wal-mart. 2 years later shaw's opened there. 4 years ago Home Depot opened a little down the road from wal-mart, and last year Kohl's, Applebee's opened near HOmE Depot, and next year a HUGE PLAZA WITH Lowe's and TArget will be built near HOme Depot (Down the road from wal-mart). Everything was a little up the road, in The 5 points Plaza it had Rich's, RIch's closed in early 97 with the rest of the chain and became STaples. the plaza has nto died and a few years ago a 99 restuarant opened in the plaza, and up the road was major, like it had STuart's, and Elm st is just restuarants and secondary chains like HOme vision, Rite Aid.

In Milford NH everything opened near the Rt. 101 Rotary, the Lordon plaza opened over 15 years ago, Burger king built there 10 years ago, a new McDonald's kust opened there and a STop and shop will be built. 3 miles west of the Rt.101 rotary is the Granite STate Plaza with Ames and IGA that closed. Everything in Milford went to near the Rt.101 Rotary. But Market BAsket opened west of the Ames 10 years ago.

In Sanford maine near the downtown was an area with the Mid-mall and Mcds and Sanford plaza with marden's. All the Shopping moved east when the Center for Shopping was built, like 15 years ago, with Shaw's and Ames (PROBABLY A ZAYRE BEFORE THE AMES), the Cinema and several stores. Shaw's and Ames were in the downtown area. Wendy's opened near the center for shopping in 1993 (i saw something say wendy's opened 1993), Wal-mart opened probably 1993.

I am interested to hear more obsolete shopping areas.

In milford NH: near the route 101A exit on Rt. 101 is a 15 year old plaza with Shaw's (it got expanded). near it is Stop and shop that is opening soon and a newer Mcdonald's and near is a Burger King that probably opened 10 years ago. In the western part: there is a Mcd's that closed recently (someone told me that), a plaza with a vacant Ames and IGA, a closed Pizza Hut

In EAST GREENBUSH NY: in the older; and CENTER; part of town: an older K-mart in the plaza with Big Lots, a Burger King nearby, Price Chopper in the plaza of a vacant Ben Franklin and has fashion bug, a vacant Ames, HAnnafodr and near it is Friendly's, MCDs, Pizza Hut, KFC/TAco Bell: the newer shopping places are near the highway, and the newer places are: A super wal-mart with cinema and a few stores nearby like PAnner bread, and side by side to it is a plaza with a TArget, Home Depot, STaples, Dollar Tree, Olympia Sports, Applebee's and other places. Across the street is a newer looking Mcdonald's.

In Tilton: the townline plaza on the boarder of Franklin had an Ames that closed 4 years ag o and is not Dollar tree, has a soon to closed Ben franklin (THIS IS THE LAST ONE IN NH), rinky dink stores and had died a lot and has a chunky's cinema that replaced an A&P that closed over 10 years ago. The newer shopping in Tilton: the huge tilton outlet mall, Burger King, a Lowe's under construction and Chili's and Kohl's will be built near, A home depot with 99 restuarant and wendy's near, a BJ's, shaw's plaza with shaw's and staples and applebee's, and KFC.

Caldor1999

theres also this plazza with a caldor in it it dosent have a name there are only 3 stores left in it a dentest place autto zone and some outher store
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

there also a indore halway i couldent get in though but there a dentest place loctaed in there but its only open on certan days this is also teh main entice to the former Caldor
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory