Jury Duty

Started by giantsfan2016, May 18, 2017, 07:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

I may have to go to Jury Duty next Friday. I got my paperwork in the mail today. It says to dress respectfully.

I guess that means I can't show up in jeans, my shirt unbuttoned, and a sideways Giants hat while smoking a blunt. :-p

TheFugitive

People here in Pittsburgh are actually terrified of getting a jury summons these days.

The reason is that the Bill Cosby drug-rape trial is about to get underway in Philadelphia.
His lawyers argued for a change of venire, due to the fact that the case has been so widely
publicized in the Philadelphia area.  The judge agreed and ordered that a jury be brought
in from Allegheny County (which is Pittsburgh).

Absolutely NO ONE around here wants to go to Philadelphia and be sequestered
on a high-profile celebrity trial that could drag on for months, and where once it
concludes TMZ and Entertainment Tonight are never going to stop hounding you
for interviews.

Everyone I know is trying to get out of jury duty until this case actually
gets underway.

giantsfan2016

I don't blame them. Plus it has to be tough to send a disabled elderly man to jail. And it has to be tough to send Dr. Huxtable to jail.

NJxxJon

Ever time I get a notice is goes to my old address. NJ has a delay on finding people......lol
JN

giantsfan2016

Ok. So I don't have to go.

standa

I may have to go next Wednesday.

TheFugitive

The Cosby jury has been picked.  Everyone in Pittsburgh can now
breathe a sigh of relief.

giantsfan2016

A few weeks ago I got another summons for Jury Duty. This time in November. See in Connecticut the court year runs something like August 1st-July 31st, so that's how I got nailed again. November is in the new "Court Year". I sent in a request to delay it til May.

JimSawhill

I never got a juror summons in CT,  but in the 10 years I've been in Florida, I had 6. Yet to be picked, but I tell people that I don't like criminals.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Brammy on October 26, 2017, 06:06:51 PM
A few weeks ago I got another summons for Jury Duty. This time in November. See in Connecticut the court year runs something like August 1st-July 31st, so that's how I got nailed again. November is in the new "Court Year". I sent in a request to delay it til May.

I was supposed to have Jury Duty on May 18th. Again when I called the night before I was told I didn't have to go. Score! 3rd time I have gotten a summons to go and third time I didn't have to go.

shore72

I've been called a couple times & had to serve on a jury once. I'd actually call it a good experience as I learned a bit (including the fact that both the public defender & state's attorney were totally inept!) It was a quick case; I think it took 2 days start to finish. I've gotten out of some because this is a small, rural county & I typically know someone involved. Once it was the arresting officer, last time it was one of the witnesses. The last time I went in I would have been next in line to serve (they couldn't eliminate anybody else, even though at least one of the attorneys didn't want me serving) but the guy ahead of me took the last slot. I need to find the case online because I've been curious ever since as to the outcome (guy abandoned a boat in the river, which is against the law, doncha know?)