Bangor (Maine) Mall to get church as a tenant

Started by retailisking, April 18, 2017, 11:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

busman_49

Not necessarily, but it's just another sign that the mall has hit the skids.

danfifepsu

Quote from: busman_49 on April 19, 2017, 12:39:47 PM
Not necessarily, but it's just another sign that the mall has hit the skids.

how will the mall fill the spaces with attractive stuff and I am a little frusterated some of you dont realize that this is not a Bangor issue and its all over the nation, and of the Bangor mall thing I HAVE SEEN WORSE! theres only 10 or 11 empty stores and some of them like Build a Bear and Hollister are solid tenants and I went there in January on a Friday at Noon and it had a good amount of shoppers.  what of H&M and Forever 21? and a larger cinema?

retailisking

The Bangor Mall is also losing rue21 as part of their mass store closure. The church is a temporary tenant (they were kicked out of their previous digs due to safety issues with the building) while they search for a permanent home. This isn't the same situation as the megachurch in South Portland that bought part of the Shops at Clarks Pond.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on April 19, 2017, 01:56:05 PM
The Bangor Mall is also losing rue21 as part of their mass store closure. The church is a temporary tenant (they were kicked out of their previous digs due to safety issues with the building) while they search for a permanent home. This isn't the same situation as the megachurch in South Portland that bought part of the Shops at Clarks Pond.

Rue21 is closing half ther stores all in maine. I wish some ppl would realize all this isnt a Bangor issue and how can the mall go back the way it was a year ago.  its the only mall till Portland and it has a huge university population. The malls in BLoomington IL, Concord NH and Pittsfield Mass for instance are faring worse than the Bangor Mall.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on April 19, 2017, 07:04:36 PM
Smaller cities like Bangor are being hit hard by the retail shakeout, and are unlikely to recover.
https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/retail/the-decimation-of-rural-retail-how-store-closings-are-affecting-small-town-usa-73383

Bangor isnt that small.  Plus JC PENNY and Payless were SPARED of the closings, so the mall may do fine and the mall NEEDS A BACK UP PLAN FOR IF AND WHEN SEARS closes as the chain could go.  What of a Cabelas like Store? or NEwbury comics? or RED ROBIN BURGERS.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

A similar situation happened with the high school in Joplin, Missouri, following a tornado a few years ago. The high school was ripped to shreds by the tornado, so the they had to move it into a temporary location at an empty Venture/Shopko store at the local mall until a new high school was built. Today, that building houses Dunham's Sporting Goods.