Bob's Stores, EMS to shutter 48 locations

Started by retailisking, April 07, 2017, 11:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

If I were a betting man I would have to guess Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center in Waterbury which will be another blow to them. There's already a 35,000 square foot vacancy where Linen's N Things used to be and a 20,000 square foot spot where The Rag Shop use to be.

standa

BillyGr

Quote from: standa on April 09, 2017, 08:41:10 AM
Is there a list of stores expected to close? I just found this article about ones in NH.
http://www.unionleader.com/Some-Bobs-and-EMS-stores-are-on-the-cutting-block-in-NH

https://sgbonline.com/eastern-outfitters-to-close-48-stores/ - This is sort of a listing - only shows town names and not quite enough of them (19 & 25 vs. the listed 21 and 27 stores - perhaps a couple have more than one store?).

Also at least one error (Freehold NY under Bob's) - this is a small town in the Catskills and has nothing in the way of stores like this - perhaps Freehold >>NJ<<? 
Also, is Sanbury CT a town (they list Danbury, then this Sanbury next)?
Berkshire isn't a town but rather the mall, so that one is OK.

giantsfan2016

Middleton, CT should be Middletown. Should Simsbury, NY be Simsbury, CT?

BillyGr

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on April 09, 2017, 03:26:51 PM
Middleton, CT should be Middletown. Should Simsbury, NY be Simsbury, CT?

Simsbury probably is CT - the other one is confusing, as they do have a store listed on their site in Middleton, Massachusetts so either part could be correct (the town name or state).

scottw73

Bdubs

Sad. Long before they were bought out I remember their original store on Main Street Middletown. It was a relic of a place. They since have moved down the road in a renovated portion of what used to be Bradlees.

AmesNewington

Very surprised Newington is staying open. I would have thought it would have been one of the closing stores. Middletown and Manchester are surprises. I'm not sure how Newington does, but it never seems too busy every time I pass by. It benefits having Planet Fitness next door. It's an easy stop for gym goers who need last minute clothing or shoes.

giantsfan2016

Surprises? Waterbury not being on the list. Middletown and Simsbury being on the list.

AmesNewington

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on April 11, 2017, 09:03:27 AM
Surprises? Waterbury not being on the list. Middletown and Simsbury being on the list.

I meant to add Waterbury too. If you go to the store locator on the website and see what stores they will have left in CT after the closures, it would seem like it should be the other way around. Ansonia, Waterbury, Newington, Norwalk, and maybe another one.

standa

I wonder whether owners of busier shopping centers charged more for rent and drove Bob's away.

giantsfan2016

Simsbury was the first Bob's my family went to. Back then it was the Farmington Valley Mall.

Other anchors in the Simsbury Commns are: Bed, Bath, Beyond, Homegoods, Stop & Shop, and Hoyts 8 Cineplex.

The Bob's space is around 37,500 Square Feet.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on April 11, 2017, 04:49:54 PM
and Hoyts 8 Cineplex.

If someone  else owned the theater say AMC or Cinemark I would say bust down the wall and expand into part of the Bob's space. Make it a 12 plex or 14 plex. Being that Simsbury is one of only a small number of theaters Hoyts still owns in this Country I don't see them expanding.

retailisking

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on April 11, 2017, 06:35:21 PM
If someone  else owned the theater say AMC or Cinemark I would say bust down the wall and expand into part of the Bob's space. Make it a 12 plex or 14 plex. Being that Simsbury is one of only a small number of theaters Hoyts still owns in this Country I don't see them expanding.

IIRC the Hoyts in Simsbury and the one in Linthicum Heights, MD (the only two left still operating as Hoyts) are owned by Northeast Cinemas.

Bdubs

The EMS in Waterford CT is closing. Going out of business signs went up this past week.
They must have been shipping goods from other closed stores to this location, because up until last week the store had been stuffed with more goods than it ever has been.
For a few months there has been an EMS Warehouse sign out front. There weren’t any huge deals or anything until the Going Out Of Business signage went up recently.
This EMS was originally in the Crystal Mall across the street for a very long time. A separate building was built with a Jared Galleria of Jewelry, Miracle Ear, and EMS probably around 5-6 years ago now.