GameStop closing 150 or more stores

Started by retailisking, March 24, 2017, 11:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Not surprising. Too many locations. Probably because of the marriage of them and EB Games.

In Waterbury, Connecticut there are 4. 2 of them are on Wolcott Street across the street from each other. One is in Shoprite Plaza the other is in the Nauatuck Valley Shopping Center the plaza that replaced the Naugatuck Valley Mall. The other 2 are in the Brass Mill Mall.

Bristol has 2. One in the Bristol Plaza (the plaza on Route 6 with Stop & Shop, TJ MAXX, Savers, and Job Lot). This one was EB Games. The other is in The Annex Plaza a few doors down from the still vacant former Blockbuster.  (Only part of the former Blockbuster is still empty).

Southington just got one a few years ago in Walmart Plaza.

Bdubs

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on March 25, 2017, 11:45:26 AM
Not surprising. Too many locations. Probably because of the marriage of them and EB Games.

In Waterbury, Connecticut there are 4. 2 of them are on Wolcott Street across the street from each other. One is in Shoprite Plaza the other is in the Nauatuck Valley Shopping Center the plaza that replaced the Naugatuck Valley Mall. The other 2 are in the Brass Mill Mall.

Bristol has 2. One in the Bristol Plaza (the plaza on Route 6 with Stop & Shop, TJ MAXX, Savers, and Job Lot). This one was EB Games. The other is in The Annex Plaza a few doors down from the still vacant former Blockbuster.  (Only part of the former Blockbuster is still empty).

I agree. Definitely way too many locations. Also, with Amazon and shipping being only 2-3 days, kids don't need to wait for their parents to take them to the physical locations anymore. At one point, the Crystal Mall in Waterford had 4 Game Stops. PLUS another in a plaza only a couple miles away(originally was a Funcoland). Blows my mind they never closed them right away. Eventually they went down to 2, and now I believe there is only 1 left in the mall. One started as a Game Stop, Software Etc, Electronics Boutique, then EB Extreme or whatever.

zonemad96

Quote from: Bdubs on March 27, 2017, 07:21:12 PM
Quote from: giantsfan2016 on March 25, 2017, 11:45:26 AM

I agree. Definitely way too many locations. Also, with Amazon and shipping being only 2-3 days, kids don't need to wait for their parents to take them to the physical locations anymore. At one point, the Crystal Mall in Waterford had 4 Game Stops. PLUS another in a plaza only a couple miles away(originally was a Funcoland). Blows my mind they never closed them right away. Eventually they went down to 2, and now I believe there is only 1 left in the mall. One started as a Game Stop, Software Etc, Electronics Boutique, then EB Extreme or whatever.

I can't remember what mall I was in but I once saw two separate gamestop locations not only in the same mall but one was directly above the other location but they ran as two separate locations. ._. ??? Also gamestop has gained a bad reputation over the years due to their multiple shady business practices. With mom and pop shops doing better now then ever with the resurgence of retro video games, and the ability to easily download games I wouldn't be surprised to see gamestop go under in a few years. My local mall has two game stores one being gamestop the other being a retro video game store, pick any day of the week and the retro video game store has easily twice if not three times as many customers as the gamestop has.

JSIDA17

I guess people finally figured out that GameStop scams you out of money.