RadioShack closing all but 72 corporate stores *

Started by retailisking, March 17, 2017, 05:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The liquidation continues...
http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-radioshack-stores-closing-2017-3

* Subject line modified to reflect closure of nearly all of its corporate stores

JimSawhill

giantsfan2016

I was at the Price Chopper Shopping Center in Bristol, CT on Saturday. I didn't go into Radio Shack, but when I walked by there didn't appear to be much left. Signs said most merchandise was 90% off. As I was walking by, a U-Haul Truck pulled up in front of Radio Shack. The occupants got out, went around back and opened the back of the truck. They then went inside the store. Perhaps they were picking up fixtures?

giantsfan2016

Radio Shack Bristol, Connecticut was still open today (5/7). There was even less stuff there than there was last Saturday when I was there.

retailisking

The Pine Tree Shopping Center Portland, ME location closed a few days ago after several decades in that plaza. The only corporate RS store left in Maine is in Rockland.

NJxxJon

....walked in one in King of Prussia, PA the other day...........the guy had a "dont give a s hit about you attitude.  3rd question in I walked out. They had a descent amount of inventory left too....it was sad. Also, that store didnt look THAT OLD (mall.....5, 6 years old) .....sad. RS was my fav when I was little. Under 10....memories......good ones.
JN

giantsfan2016

Bristol and Southington CT have both closed.

retailisking

Less than 70 corporate stores and 500 dealer stores are left, and corporate is auctioning off memorabilia from its Fort Worth headquarters
http://www.electronicdesign.com/communications/radio-shack-close-most-retail-stores

retailfan

i am wondering if the franchises will keep the radio shack name thus keeping the brand alive  or if they too will drop the iconic name  strange that 70 stores are still open  corporate  im guessing those to will be shuttered soon

store215

Here is a list of stores that are supposedly still operating. Notice that besides a few in CO and a group in TX, all the other locations are in the  Northeast (mainly PA and NY). I wonder what makes these locations so much different...was there really no profitable locations in other parts of the country? Or does it have to do with 'Sprint' locations? (Southeastern PA had very few standalone Sprint stores up until a few years ago). https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/05/31/radioshack-closes-1000-stores-week-these-72-left/102372912/#

BillyGr

Quote from: store215 on June 01, 2017, 11:55:15 AM
Here is a list of stores that are supposedly still operating. Notice that besides a few in CO and a group in TX, all the other locations are in the  Northeast (mainly PA and NY). I wonder what makes these locations so much different...was there really no profitable locations in other parts of the country? Or does it have to do with 'Sprint' locations? (Southeastern PA had very few standalone Sprint stores up until a few years ago). https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/05/31/radioshack-closes-1000-stores-week-these-72-left/102372912/#

Having some in TX makes sense (their home/HQ for the last 40+ years) and of course they started in Boston and had stores in some of the surrounding states fairly early on.

Aside from that, it's hard to guess - for instance the 3 remaining around the Albany (NY) area are in Schenectady, Rensselaer and Hudson - none of which one would have suspected out of the spots they once had in the greater area.

retailfan

Kind of sad that the things from the headquarters are being pieced out  a lot of it should go to a museum or somthing . I managed a store for a year but it was during the celphone store days    glad the name survives  although mostly online only .

shore72

From talking to a couple employees at different locations it sounded like nobody really knew what was going on as far as what locations, if any, might stay open. One told me that the closings had been in the press for weeks prior to corporate even issuing a memo. I was told that unsold merchandise was being boxed up & sent to other locations.

One thing that hurt them was that they hadn't been competitive on price for a long, long time. Once, before Walmart & chain drug stores on every corner, it might have made since to buy all your batteries there (especially with the battery card they had) but not in later years. I dabble enough in electronics as a hobbyist to know that there prices for things like capacitors, diodes, etc, are outrageous compared to what you can get online. Of course, you can buy them & walk out today with what you need...or you could. At 90% off, at least, most of the stuff in those parts drawers in the back was suddenly a good deal! I know a lot of guys who really stocked up (as did I).

retailisking

Quote from: retailfan on June 01, 2017, 07:54:02 PM
Kind of sad that the things from the headquarters are being pieced out  a lot of it should go to a museum or somthing . I managed a store for a year but it was during the celphone store days    glad the name survives  although mostly online only .

The name also survives through the long-suffering dealer stores, though you have to wonder for how much longer. What will remain of the company to keep the stores stocked with RS-branded merchandise (which the dealers were already supplementing with product from other suppliers) and what will become of the company's intellectual property, including the right for the dealers to use the RS name? The dealers will also have to deal with the belief that RadioShack is completely out of business. They may be better-off using some other name and jettisoning RS entirely.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on June 02, 2017, 01:03:06 AM
The name also survives through the long-suffering dealer stores, though you have to wonder for how much longer. What will remain of the company to keep the stores stocked with RS-branded merchandise (which the dealers were already supplementing with product from other suppliers) and what will become of the company's intellectual property, including the right for the dealers to use the RS name? The dealers will also have to deal with the belief that RadioShack is completely out of business. They may be better-off using some other name and jettisoning RS entirely.

Since it sounded like they will still have an online operation, it shouldn't be an issue of having items to send to those locations - just send them from wherever the stuff is stocked to fill online orders.
Kind a reverse of the old days, where mail orders were handled by a local store - now the mail service (aka online) would handle orders for the stores.

nysw3636