Scotty's hardware

Started by will, June 20, 2005, 11:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will

Scotty's hardware was a lumberyard/building supply chain in the south. Many stores closed a few years ago and just a few months ago the last one closed. There were 70% off sales until all merchandise was sold.

We used to have to shop there before Home Depot came to town. My dad did not like Scotty's much.

Our Scotty's closed about 2 years ago. The 2 in neighboring towns closed a few months ago, but are reopening as private owned hardware stores.

What I think is strange is that our's here has been transformed into an outlet mall, which hasn't been too successful. It sells mostly cheap fleamarket items from China and Japan. What's even weirder is that Scotty's still owns the the building and has the outlet store to pay its bills. When I went to the outlet mall they were playing over the radio the same songs that Scotty's used to play!

Also the old Scotty's building here that Scotty's occupied before 1985 has been a warehouse for a business ever since is going to be the new location for Ace hardware, which closed at its old location last month. So I guess Ace is just moving.

Weird huh?

nibbick40

Scotty's was a frequent stop during my childhood in Tampa before the Home Depot/Lowe's craze took over.  There were several in town ... the one we went to was near Busch Gardens (right next to the Uptons I refer to in another topic).  I think the last thing we bought there was plastic lawn chairs just before they announced GOB a few years ago.

I noticed one that was open in Chiefland (2 hours north of Tampa) when I travel back and forth from Tallahassee ... significantly smaller than the other Scotty's back home, about the size of an average Ace or True Value ... of course it is shuttered now.  I also noticed a closed one in Pensacola, and one in Lake Placid (east of Ft. Myers) which was switched over to a Do It Best hardware.

The old one in Tampa has also been converted into an indoor flea market, similar to what the previous poster described.

As a kid, I always thought the winking Scottish logo/mascot looked funny, in a good way.

truviking05

My local Scotty's is now an FOS. You can still see a labelscar from Scotty's on the side of the building. I remember how cool it was that they had multicolored carts (when I was like 4 lol).

Caldor1999

lol i had a hardwere store named after me
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

dmx10101

Scottys was very common where I lived in Jacksonville, FL. I went to them alot when I was younger. They closed alot of stores as the years went on. back in 200 they changed most of their stores to Scotty's Bargain Outlets, which had five stores in one. The hardware outlet, the floor store outlet, the homestore outlet, the closeout outlet, and the dollar store. IT was a interesting concept as half the store still sold hardware but the other half they added a dollar store where everything was $1- food, toys, greeting cards, office supplies, tools, home stuff, pet supplies. and the other part was a closeout store- it was like a big lots. it had electronics, toys, food, tools, pots and pans, etc. pretty cool but it only lasted like a year or two then they changed the stores back to just hardware. Then in like 2004 or so they closed alot of the scottys and reopened them as Outlet Malls, which was basically a big open building with cubilce space for rent by anybody to sell their stuff, most of it was new merchandise- it was like a flea market, but when scottys decided to totally go out of business, they closed those too.

I have so much stuff from when Scottys changed from hardware to the bargain outlet 5 store in one concept- bags, every add the ever had, reciepts, flyers, stickers.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Kmart4life

Scotty's was the best but the management was stupid for turning the stores into indoor flea markets and dollar stores. If not for that they could have stayed in business with a little turnaround.:huh:

Kmart4life

Do you remember Scotty's Money? You could save those bucks and buy anything in the store with it. I remeber it was a big hit and then management killed it off. I read some where that the former corperate employees wanted to buy the company, oust that idiot that they had as CEO and turn the company around. Tom Morris was the CEO and he was the idot who turned a Hardware chain into Dollar Stores and indoor flea markets. He was doing that in 2001 when I worked there and because of his bright idea we lost a great deal of business and I lost my job and watched one Scotty's top performing stores go down the toilet and close. Sometimes I wonder where these CEO's get such STUPID IDEAS. :mad:

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre2
Do you remember Scotty's Money? You could save those bucks and buy anything in the store with it. I remeber it was a big hit and then management killed it off. I read some where that the former corperate employees wanted to buy the company, oust that idiot that they had as CEO and turn the company around. Tom Morris was the CEO and he was the idot who turned a Hardware chain into Dollar Stores and indoor flea markets. He was doing that in 2001 when I worked there and because of his bright idea we lost a great deal of business and I lost my job and watched one Scotty's top performing stores go down the toilet and close. Sometimes I wonder where these CEO's get such STUPID IDEAS. :mad:

I still have one scotty's money bill left. I liked scottys when they turned into the bargain outlet. Before that I hardly ever went to scottys but after the changed to the bargain outlet I would go evey couple weeks and spend a ton of money there buying stuff from their dollar store and closeout store. THe bargain outlet format could've worked but I think they did a bad job implementing it. They should've focused on either the hardware store or went completely to the bargain outlet format. Doing both is what failed it- Contractors don't go to a hardware store for party favors and bath sets. Like wise bargain shoppers dont go to a bargain store for lumber and gallons of paint.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

Here's my scotty's stuff

Ad's for the New Bargain Outlet and a Scotty's money!

Ad's from when Scottys launched the Bargain Outlet. Top left is the very first one they had-

Going back to their Hardware roots ads-

Scotty's changes to Scotty's Do It Best hardware-

Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Kmart4life

awesome collection:roll:

Kmart4life

Scotty's should have followed in the footsteps of ACE Hardware and they might have lasted a little longer. The last of their old stores has been torn down in my area and I have a picture of a label scar from an old store sign that I will post soon.

scottnj1966

I know this is an old topic but I am hoping someone here will be able to help.
I am building a small tribute website for Scotty's. I used to work there a number of years ago and thought it would be a cool thing to do. Maybe get other Scotty's employees together again. I already added a facebook page also.

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/scottys.htm

I am very surprised this has been the only place on the whole net I found any kind of pictures or items shown, well besides the trademark office.

I have a few things I have added to my new site. I am hoping someone may have a few pictures of a Scotty's storefront.
I also am hoping to find more details about Eddie, the driver of Scotty's number 16 car. I even have a hat signed by him. I vaguely remember him being injured. But again no info online anywhere. Weird.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott

Kmart4life

Eddie King had the Scotty's sponsorship for a few years and Auburndale Speedway did as well. In fact a few months ago I went to a race there and they still have a Scotty's sign around one coner of the race track. I will see if I can find some pics of Eddie King's race car for you.

Kmart4life

Former Scotty's location on South Florida Avenue Lakeland Fl.

Kmart4life

Kmart4life

Kmart4life

The last remaining Scotty's location right after they closed, looks completely different now. I worked at this location for about  a year until the company started downsizing and I was layed off.

Kmart4life

Saw this outside if a local flea market today!