Nicklelodeon/Disney's Doug

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), February 20, 2017, 06:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

From Wikipedia:
QuoteDoug is an American animated sitcom created by Jim Jinkins. The show focuses on the early adolescent life of its title character, Douglas "Doug" Funnie, who experiences common predicaments while attending school in his new hometown of Bluffington. Doug narrates each story in his journal, and the show incorporates many imagination sequences. The series addresses numerous topics, including trying to fit in, platonic and romantic relationships, self-esteem, bullying, and rumors. Numerous episodes center on Doug's attempts to impress his classmate and crush, Patti Mayonnaise.

Jinkins developed Doug from drawings in his sketchbook that he created over the course of the 1980s. Doug, a mostly autobiographical creation, was largely inspired by Jinkins' childhood growing up in Virginia, with most characters in the series being based on real individuals. He first pitched Doug as a children's book to uninterested publishers before Nickelodeon purchased the show. Following this, the series went under further development, in which Jinkins meticulously detailed every aspect of the show's setting. Jinkins was insistent that the series have a purpose, and instructed writers to annotate each script with a moral. The show's unusual soundtrack consists largely of mouth noises.

The series premiered in 1991 on the cable network Nickelodeon, as the channel's first original animated content alongside Rugrats and The Ren & Stimpy Show. The series' original run consisted of 52 episodes over four seasons that were broadcast from 1991 to 1994. In 1996, Disney acquired the series, retooling it with several creative changes, thus renaming it Brand Spanking New! Doug (retitled Disney's Doug in 1998), and airing it for three years on ABC's Saturday morning lineup. It became a top-rated show, inspiring various books, merchandise, a live musical stage show, and a theatrical feature, Doug's 1st Movie, released at the series' conclusion in 1999.

giantsfan2016

Occasionally I watch reruns of Doug on the Splat Network. Splat airs 10PM-6AM over Teen Nick. Splat features old Nicktoons - Doug, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Cat Dog, etc.

TheFugitive

All the stuff my kids watched when they were growing-up.

One thing I really like about Doug is when the show airs on ABC (Jumbo Pictures was purchased by Disney), the show's characters and certain locations in Bluffington go through changes. For example, Roger Klotz's family becomes rich in Disney's Doug (The Klotz Family used to live in a trailer park in the Nickelodeon version of the cartoon), The Honker Burger gets bought out and turned into a French restaurant called Chez Honque (which disappoints Doug and his friends, but they eventually find a new hangout, Mr. Swirly) and a few characters on the Disney seasons have new hairstyles, most notably Patti Mayonnaise and Roger Klotz. Doug Funnie and Roger Klotz have new voice actors for the Disney seasons (Doug Funnie and Roger Klotz were both voiced by Billy West in the Nickelodeon seasons, while Doug Funnie is voiced by Tom McHugh and Roger Klotz is voiced by Chris Phillips in the Disney seasons). The characters also attend a new school in the Disney seasons, Beebe Bluff Middle School. Doug Funnie and Mosquito Valentine's favorite band, The Beets, break up.

Pikapower

I've only watched the Nickelodeon version of "Doug".
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

JSIDA17

This show was too dull for my taste. It certainly didn't feel like it was made in the 90's.

Quote from: Pikapower on July 06, 2017, 06:00:08 PM
I've only watched the Nickelodeon version of "Doug".
Disney's Doug ran for three seasons from 1996 to 1999. Disney's Doug aired on ABC's One Saturday Morning alongside Recess and Pepper Ann starting from 1997 until 2001.

Reruns of Disney's Doug aired on Toon Disney in the mid-late 2000s.

Nickelodeon Doug:
4 seasons from 1991-1994

Disney's Brand-Spanking New! Doug:
3 seasons from 1996-1999
feature-length film

Doug's creator Jim Jinkins regards that the Nickelodeon seasons are superior to the Disney seasons.

Pikapower

Didn't Mcdonald's did a Disney's Doug Happy Meal?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Quote from: Pikapower on July 26, 2017, 08:10:41 PM
Didn't Mcdonald's did a Disney's Doug Happy Meal?
Yes. It was the Doug's First Movie Happy Meal.