Horrible Car models that were produced.

Started by HoJofan206, June 20, 2005, 01:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

Talk here about the vehicles that were made/sold that you really thought were a bad idea!!

HoJofan206

Here is my list of "bad idea" cars:

ANYTHING made by American Motors.

Chevy Vega
Ford Pinto
Subaru Brat
Ford Aspire
Chevy Citation/Olds Omega/Pontiac Phoenix/Buick Skylark
Dodge Dart
Ford Maverick
Dodge Diplomat

HoJofan206

THe Pontiac Aztek.  What were they thinking??  :insane::insane::insane:

Jag67

heheh my dad has one. WEIRD car. What's so bad about the Dodge Diplomat?? They were pretty well-built cars and had no real defects. I would have to say thew Yugo!!!! "The world's first disposible car". I was reading a story that a guy took it on a test drive. The radio fell off the dash and they had to lean and push against it on turns.

HoJofan206

The Dodge Diplomat was a very ugly box.  Even worse, it looked like its headlights were put on upside down, just like the Chrysler New Yorker.  These cars were mostly used as cabs and police vehicles.  The general public didnt really buy them as passenger cars.

I agree, the Yugo was a REAL bad idea!!  :roll:

HoJofan206

Remember those cars from the 2000 model year by Daewoo?
The Nubira, Lanos, and there was one other one.

Jag67

YES THE K CAR!!! I was just about to mention them..The sold well but were very cheaply made...

ps- I happened to like how the Diplomat looked. But hey, that's just me..:roll:

Jag67

I still like how the Diplomat looked. Hey, it looks better than today's 95% plastic cars!!!

The Aztec is unusual, and that's a good thing. Why be ordinary??

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
I still like how the Diplomat looked. Hey, it looks better than today's 95% plastic cars!!!

The Aztec is unusual, and that's a good thing. Why be ordinary??

I think Bob Lutz, GM design chief said that the Aztek was a honest try or something like that.  Meaning that at least they tried something instead of being ordinary.

Still, i don't like it.:no:

Zayre88

Here's another  horrible car.  They later changed the front of the car to clean the design but the car became boring with the new front and old back... !

Jag67

yes, they use the same platform and many of the same components.

tokensafari

I don't like it personally. General Motors is really bad for that, because they have so many different brands under one parent company.

Jag67

The Plymouth Horizon/Dodge Omni. These cars sold well but were very poorly made. Some people used to have to climb out the windows because the doors would jam!!

Jag67

The Chevy Citation. Many of these had defective brakes, which had to be recalled by GM and really hurt GM's image.

HoJofan206

Does anyone remember how the radio, yes I said the radio was turned on its side inside the Citation and its Pontiac sibling the Phoenix.  Ugly cars produced from 1980 to 1985.

HoJofan206

THose ugly "dust buster" looking vans that GM produced back in the early 1990's.

THe Chevy Lumina van
THe Pontiac MTV
The Oldsmobile Sillouhoette

HoJofan206

THe only reason the Aztec last as long as it did was the fact that the Buick Rezdesvous sold decently for Buick.  It was aimed at the Lexus 300 sport ute buyers.  The Aztec was supposed to be the "sporty" version, but it was anything but "sporty".

Zayre88

Ford totally ruined the Taurus with that new style introduced in 1996 i think.  Sales dropped.  The trunk line was so low and the opening very small.  It was hard to get anything in that trunk!

They modified the front, back and dashboard in 2000.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
If you think the Lacross looks bad now look how terrible the concept car was!

Another crappy Buick Concept, the 1998 Signa.  Looks like a Rendezvous that melted  :insane:

HoJofan206

All of those Buick "concepts" will be best if left as just that.  Concepts.  The best thing Buick has going for itself is that older people like the smooth suspension ride and the (for the most part) old styling.  Buick interiors pretty much never change.  That new "LaCross" is nothing more than a combination of the former 4 door Regal and Buick Century combined.  I am not a fan of Buicks, but I know of a lot of older people who like them.  As long as they stick to that fan base they wont be the next GM brand to go down.

HoJofan206

In 1995 Ford Taurus sales were in the top 3 of all automobile sales accounted for in the 4 door market for that year.  With the 1996 re-style the Taurus fell out of the top 20 (and that was including commercial vehicle sales).  Something #1 Toyota Camry and #2 Honda Accord do not have.  Ford REALLY screwed up a good thing on that one!

Jag67

My uncle had a 1995 Taurus and he LOVED it..until some guy backed into him and totaled it. He had a 2000 Taurus and hated it. I dont think he even had for a year. The 1996-on Tauruses are WAY to ovaly. You cant even get out of the things without bumping your head.

The Dodge Dynasty. This was supposed to be some kind of luxury car but suffered from Chrysler's usual poor quality.

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
All of those Buick "concepts" will be best if left as just that.  Concepts.  The best thing Buick has going for itself is that older people like the smooth suspension ride and the (for the most part) old styling.  Buick interiors pretty much never change.  That new "LaCross" is nothing more than a combination of the former 4 door Regal and Buick Century combined.  I am not a fan of Buicks, but I know of a lot of older people who like them.  As long as they stick to that fan base they wont be the next GM brand to go down.
I alwasy thought that all Buick cars in general are ugly.  Especially the older 80's and early 90's models.  They're like boxes on wheels.  I heard on the news last week that GM is cutting 25,000 jobs and closing 9 plants due to it's first non-profitable year, or something along those lines.  An expert they had on the radio with them said their problem is that they have upwards of 90 car makes and models to crank out, while their competitors like Ford and such have nowhere near that amount, and that they should start cutting back on production of more low-selling models rather than closing factories.

HoJofan206

Does anyone remember those little cars from France by Renault called "Le Car"  lol, funny little machine.  Most of them were yellow.  Wish I could find a pic of one to post.

HoJofan206

I liked the Buick (Regal) Grand National's that the division built back in the mid 1980's.

HoJofan206

Even though they were pretty bland looking cars Dodge sure sold a bunch of those Dodge Dynasty cars btw 1988 and 1993.  Suprisingly, you still see a decent amount of them on the road for being that old.  They always reminded me of a Grandma's kinda car.  ;)

HoJofan206

The Oldsmobile Omega was an UGLY car.  Does anyone have a picture of one of those gems from the 1980's?  :tumble:

C. Fontaine

Is this what you're talking about? http://www.cardomain.com/ride/686896 Because yeah, it is ugly!

Zayre88

The Omega was much like the Chevy Citation and Pontiac Phoenix.  Another GM car with three or four version to fit each brand !  

Don't forget the Olds Firenza, based on the Cavalier / Sunbird / Skyhawk / Cimarron ...

HoJofan206

Yes, I had a Firenza GT (hatchback) 1996 model year.  It was ok the first few years, but I sold it after it was 3 years old.