YMCA

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), January 15, 2016, 06:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Has anyone here ever had a membership for the "Y"? If so, you can discuss it here.

I use their gym to play some basketball sometimes.

ynkeesfn82

A few years ago I checked out the "dorms" at the YMCA in New Britain, Connecticut. Very small. A guy my size couldn't live there comfortably. I'm 6 foot 2 and 285 pounds. The sleeping area my head was up against one wall, my feet up against the other, and only half my body could fit on the "bed". Then there are the rules. No cooking, no booze, no drugs, no female visitors, no pets, etc. They have a community "kitchen" area where there are microwaves, which pretty much limits your dining options. Then there are community bathrooms and community showers.

Quote from: Marc B on January 15, 2016, 08:09:52 AM
A few years ago I checked out the "dorms" at the YMCA in New Britain, Connecticut. Very small. A guy my size couldn't live there comfortably. I'm 6 foot 2 and 285 pounds. The sleeping area my head was up against one wall, my feet up against the other, and only half my body could fit on the "bed". Then there are the rules. No cooking, no booze, no drugs, no female visitors, no pets, etc. They have a community "kitchen" area where there are microwaves, which pretty much limits your dining options. Then there are community bathrooms and community showers.

Our 6-story downtown YMCA here in Green Bay, Wisconsin has not had a hostel in decades. There are plans in the works to renovate the old hostel dorms on the three floors above the space currently used by the "Y" into upscale apartments. When those apartments are open to the general public, a "Y" membership will be thrown in for free for the people who buy the apartments.

Hudsons81

For many years there was a YMCA at the northeast corner of Eureka and Fort Street here in Wyandotte, Michigan. About 15 years ago they jumped ship to a more modern facility over in Southgate at Northline and I-75 and the old location was torn down for a Walgreens and a strip mall.

There was a bank at that intersection that became a pet shop before it too was torn down for the same development.

TheFugitive

I took swimming lessons at the Y in Downtown Pittsburgh when I was in middle school.
Have not set foot in one since.

They have moved TWICE since that time.  Once to a new facility over on the Boulevard of the Allies.
A couple of years ago they left that facility and moved to one on Market Square.  A result of a survey
of office workers which revealed (and I am NOT making this up......) that,

The average downtown office worker will not walk more than two blocks to attend a fitness program.

What the ????

The Y on the Boulevard has been transferred to Point Park University, which is remodeling it for use
as a student fitness center and a new home gym for the basketball team.

The Village People immortalized the YMCA in their song "YMCA" in 1979. Many people have criticized this song over the years by calling it an anthem for homosexuals.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 21, 2016, 08:05:38 PM
The Village People immortalized the YMCA in their song "YMCA" in 1979. Many people have criticized this song over the years by calling it an anthem for homosexuals.

It is what it is. And what it is is that it's still very popular. When I was DJ at a club as soon as I'd put this song a bunch of the crowd would run up on the stage and start dancing.

TheFugitive

When I was in high-school this became a big hit.  My buddy's mom used to put it on her
8-track player and dance to it as she vacuumed.

She had not a clue that the Village People were gay.   We all thought that pretty funny at the time.

Gay people love this song.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.    ;D
They're entitled.

JimSawhill

In the 60s, the Y I  took swim lesson couldn't wear suits. Interesting times. I've  heard the Y in Hartford is being torn down...

JJBers

There was a abandoned YMCA in downtown Willimantic for at least 20 years, but about 2 years ago, they tore it down for a aux. location for a STEM school. And they did a damn good job on making the school look nice.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

JimSawhill

Quote from: JJBers on November 05, 2017, 11:39:56 PM
There was a abandoned YMCA in downtown Willimantic for at least 20 years, but about 2 years ago, they tore it down for a aux. location for a STEM school. And they did a damn good job on making the school look nice.

The old Y in Willimantic was torn down? I was part of a group looking at buying it in the mid 90s to make it into a family health club, but it needed work. Too bad it couldn't be used..🙁. Oh well...