Mall anchors stymie refurbishment efforts

Started by retailisking, February 15, 2017, 07:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Anchors whose owners feel that mall transformations could hurt their business are standing in the way
http://www.retaildive.com/news/report-many-anchors-blocking-landlord-attempts-to-refurbish-malls/436242/

shore72

Locally, Cracker Barrel wanted to open a location at a mall (Centre at Salisbury, MD)...it would have been a good location, too, right along highway that get a lot of tourist traffic. From what I've read, the plan was good to go until one of the anchors vetoed the idea. I'd really like to know which anchor nixed the plans & what their justification was.

giantsfan2016

In my opinion the anchor stores should have no say in what the mall does. In many cases anchor stores like JC Penney, Sears, and Macy's own their own spots in the mall. Back in the day Montgomery Wards did too.

BillyGr

Quote from: shore72 on February 15, 2017, 11:03:15 PM
Locally, Cracker Barrel wanted to open a location at a mall (Centre at Salisbury, MD)...it would have been a good location, too, right along highway that get a lot of tourist traffic. From what I've read, the plan was good to go until one of the anchors vetoed the idea. I'd really like to know which anchor nixed the plans & what their justification was.

That does seem strange - if nothing else a place like that would get people onto the property and perhaps some would decide to wander into the mall as long as they were there.  The limited amount of stuff that Cracker Barrel sells in their store portion isn't likely to have that much overlap with the mall stores or to make people shop there and stop going into the mall stores.