Main Menu

Big Lots

Started by Jag67, May 08, 2005, 06:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videogamer75

The Clementon one used to be a hardware store, but unfortunately I can't remember the name. I don't know about the Somers Point one.

Mervyns

the Big Lots near me was a Penn Fruit

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Big Lots in Green Bay, Wisconsin was a Kohl's Foods. The Big Lots anchors a dead strip mall (whose only tenant left is a tanning salon), behind Hardee's, next to Kmart and across from Lambeau Field. Kohl's Foods left Green Bay, Wisconsin in 1992 because of competition from Cub Foods, Sure Way, SuperValu, Copps Food Center, and Festival Foods.

Marc82

Friggin' gross. I went to use the men's room at the one in Bristol, CT tonight disgusting. No toilet paper in either stall and both had human waste left in it. Nasty. I ended up using the men's room at the Sears Hardware Store in the same plaza. Anyone have the number for the Bristol Health Dept?

Marc82

Took the this picture today August 12, 2009 of the entrance to the Bristol, CT Big Lots. There's been no change to the store interior or exterior from the picture Dan Fife took in 2006 on Page 3 of this thread. This Big Lots opened in 2003 and replaced a Waldbaum's Foodmart that closed in the late 90s I think. The entire shopping plaza is up for sale too.

Marc82

Big Lots opened in half of the Old Shoprite on Wolcott Street in Waterbury. The other half is gonna be a Saver's Consignment Shop.

XDeSuEhTX

Our Big Lots store was an old 70s Kroger. It's funny because you can tell, they didn't change much at all to the exterior or interior. They hang merchandise on the walls with the overhangs to them, where the freezers and meats were kept.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

nims57

One of the many Big Lots in Houston, TX.

videogamer75

Uh...that's in Norristown, PA.

gu4ever

The former Grand Union now home to Big Lot's. This photo was taken back in September prior to their Grand Opening.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

scottw73

I've been to that store, before after GU closed it became Treasure Island after they relocated from the former Dutchess Mall (which is now a Home Depot)

nims57

I think the Somers Point, NJ store was either a Jamesway or a Richway (later Target). When the Acme next door relocated, the old store was torn down for a Caldor. That store is now a Kmart.

videogamer75

Uh...I don't think so. Not only is that building far too small for a discount store, but Richway never got anywhere near NJ. And the Kmart was a completely new build, built in 2002 on the site of the former Acme which relocated in 1994.

Kmart4life

We are going to have 2 Big Lots stores here one on the north side of town and one on the south side of town. Our current store is liquidating to move to an old Kash N Karry location that has been closed for 9 years and has been completely remodeled. The other on thr north side is going into the old Circut City store which has been remodeled too. The old location is possibly turning into a Dollar Tree.  This is in the old Sears Town plaza that has been open since the 60's, and already has a Dollar General and Family Dollar. 2 Dollar stores in one shopping center is enough and plus I hte Dollar Tree!

Kmart4life

Went to one of the New Big Lots stores and it is NICE!!! No remnance of Kash N Kerry at all.

Kmart4life

This is our former Big Lots location that just closed moving on the North side of town to a nicer and better location in the old Circuit City building. This is the label scar from the orange letters that were taken down just a few days ago.

ynkeesfn82

I needed a new mouse for my computer and got one at Big Lots for $4. They still have lots of computer mice with what's called a PS2 connection rather than a USB connection. The Walmart down the street from the Bristol Big Lots did not have any computer mice with the PS2 connections. They also have 20 oz bottles of Coca Cola products for a decent price. $1.25 + tax and deposit. (Of course the cheapest I've seen that is at Dollar Tree).

Kmart4life

Carts left in the old Big Lots location

Kmart4life

Inside old Big Lots sorry for the angle, I ws trying not to get caught by security!

nims57

They have been expanding in the Philly area again. The Linens N Things in Valley Forge PA and Bradlees in Mantua NJ just became Big Lots.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Kmart4life on November 17, 2011, 08:18:37 PM
Inside old Big Lots sorry for the angle, I ws trying not to get caught by security!
You could always rotate the picture...

jason83080

Went out across town recently, and found a few new things:

1. The Big Lots location in Brook Park, Ohio (in the Brookgate plaza, 1/3 of the former Zayre/Ames location) went out of business and is now closed. I'm not sure if it couldn't compete with the nearby location in Parma Heights, OH (at York and Pearl Rds; it's HUGE, occupying two storefronts - one for BL, one for the Furniture) or what happened, but it's not there anymore. Also, the rest of the old Zayre/Ames is now a Marc's store, and it's TINY. They kept the original ceiling, though, so there's still love for the endless rows of fluorescent lighting!

2. On the subject of Marc's, the location in Parma, Ohio, in the Pleasant Valley plaza is now a Big Lots! I stopped in there before Halloween, and it's actually nice and spacious. They completely repainted the inside, so you can't even tell that it used to be a Marc's. They didn't, however, occupy the entire Marc's space, so the little storefront next door (which used to be the old Produce section years ago) is vacant.

3. The old CompUSA in North Olmsted, OH, is now home to a new Big Lots store. They painted the red squares on the front of the store Big Lots Orange. I'm not sure what the previous tenants did to the inside, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't occupy the entire store space. The walls here are BLACK.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc82 on August 12, 2009, 11:58:10 AM
Took the this picture today August 12, 2009 of the entrance to the Bristol, CT Big Lots. There's been no change to the store interior or exterior from the picture Dan Fife took in 2006 on Page 3 of this thread. This Big Lots opened in 2003 and replaced a Waldbaum's Foodmart that closed in the late 90s I think. The entire shopping plaza is up for sale too.

At 45,000 Square Feet the Bristol, Connnecticut location is one of the biggest Big Lots around.

retailisking

The former W.T. Grant, Ames and Bob's Discount location at the Mt. Blue Shopping Center will become a Big Lots in September.
http://www.sunjournal.com/news/franklin/2012/06/22/big-lots-open-store-farmington/1206979

The backing for the old "GRANTS" lettering is still plainly visible

ynkeesfn82

Had an appointment in Wallingford today. Mom and I stopped at the Wallingford Big Lots. Wow! What a dump. Plus they had an old school sign on the building. Anyone know what was there before?

scottw73

Quote from: Marc B on August 28, 2013, 04:37:10 PM
Had an appointment in Wallingford today. Mom and I stopped at the Wallingford Big Lots. Wow! What a dump. Plus they had an old school sign on the building. Anyone know what was there before?

I've been there myself, I think it was a supermarket at one point.

Ames Newington

I wonder when the Middletown store will open. It's weird how they are moving in to the old Foodmart.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Marc B on August 28, 2013, 04:37:10 PM
Was the Big Lots sign an old school sign where it was their old logo or was it some different kind of sign?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Ames Newington on August 28, 2013, 07:19:18 PM
I wonder when the Middletown store will open. It's weird how they are moving in to the old Foodmart.

Not really that weird. They opened in the old Foodmart in Bristol in '03 or '04.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on August 28, 2013, 07:33:51 PM
Was the Big Lots sign an old school sign where it was their old logo or was it some different kind of sign?

It was their old logo. Similar to the one on the left here.

http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=438.msg3202#msg3202