Main Menu

Big Lots

Started by Jag67, May 08, 2005, 06:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dooneyt63

Big Lots used several store banners, some gained in acquisitions.  They have brought everything under the Big Lots banner and adopted it for the corporate name in place of Consolidated Stores.

dooneyt63

Does anyone remember another short-lived closeout chain called Itza Deal!?  They were kind of neat, not as large as the Big Lots family of stores, more like the $.99 or $1.00 only stores.

dooneyt63

Big Lots is perhaps one of the most interesting cemeteries for dead and dying retail curiosities.  Recently though, the stores have been spiffed up (especially newer locations) and they are becoming much more regimented.  There are still a lot of closeouts but not as much of a random assortment as there once was.  Not only do shopping carts from long-dead chains show up at the older locations, store brands from long-gone chains sometimes magically appear.  A specific incident from a couple of years back was Lucky Supermarket cookies at least 1-2 years after Albertson's phased out the Lucky banner.  The new, slicker look has resulted in new Big Lots shopping carts and Big Lots bags.  Early on, the stores sometimes used closed store bags.  This was something McCrory did in its dying days...even though it was not ostensibly a closeout store.  Though, come to think of it, they did operate the Bargain Time chain that dealt mostly in closeout goods.

Zayre88

It's a thing i don't like about BigLots.  The merchandise has Big Lots bar-codes with price, there are big lots bags, it's not really a bargain hunt.  you can almost expect what's in stock all year long.  They are a national chain.

Another thing is that around here, they opened in former stores like Rich's and Bradlees but are only using half or less than half the space the former discount store had.  When you enter, it's a bit dissapointing.  

Look at this floor plan, a big former Rich's became three small stores including Big Lots !

storehistoryguy

An older Big Lots somewhere.

storehistoryguy

Zayre88

August 17, 2005 07:38 AM ET
Big Lots Second-Quarter Loss Widens

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Big Lots Inc. on Wednesday said its second-quarter loss widened including a charge from its former KB Toys unit, combined with weak same-store sales and higher costs for inbound freight due to higher fuel prices.
The nation's largest closeout retailer posted a loss of $13.8 million, or 12 cents per share, compared with a loss of $7.7 million, or 7 cents per share, a year earlier. The company said the latest quarter included a charge of $3.8 million, or 3 cents per share, from a partial charge-off of a note related to KB Toys.

shakethis1234

they are closing 2 stores in the syracuse area

TRU7536

This is Big Lots of Newington. One half of the former Lechemer building. Is going to be remodeled in 2006.

Zayre88

Big Lots in Portsmouth NH, in part of a former Rich's department store.

storehistoryguy

This is the Big Lots in Lansdale Pa. which was orginally an old Ames.

http://www.trefoilinc.com/hillcrest.html

storehistoryguy

ameskmart1

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

http://www.hawkinscompanies.com/photogallery.htm

That Big Lots is in Boise, ID and is closing
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

TRU7536

Does any know what 170 store Big Lots is closing this month. i can never find these sheets of store closings.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
Does any know what 170 store Big Lots is closing this month. i can never find these sheets of store closings.

Big Lots is closing stores? I didn't know they were having trouble.

Anonymous

Odd Lots was introduced in 1982 by Consolidated Stores and not bought out, and in fact came before the Big Lots name (1985.) MacFrugal's and Pic-N'-Save were the same company, taken over by Consolidated in 1998. Starting in 2001 and ending in 2002, they rebranded everything else to Big Lots.

Anonymous

When Consolidated Stores renamed their company to Big Lots Stores, Inc. to reflect that they rebranded their other three banners, they changed their website address from cnstores.com to biglots.com. During the transition and for some time after, you could use either one. Now, avoid the old one because it redirects you to freak central, buydomains.com. This website has some pretty unusual sounding domains, including some that sound slightly off-color. Also, each different time you visit the site, there is a randomly selected smiling person staring at you. Anyway, the information from my previous post is courtesy of biglots.com.

BillyGr

The new (within the last 3 months) Big Lots in Hudson (Greenport) - in the plaza with Aldi - this store took over what was about 4 stores at one time.

beezer210

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
heres the guy whos frequently on the Big Lots commercials
He used to be on an old sitcom show called "Coach" I belive it was on FOX

now after all his fame he ends up doing this job

at spokes person for Big Lots yawn:boring:

how low can you go?:insane:

That's Jerry Van Dyke, brother of Dick Van Dyke and star of one of the worst shows in television history, "My Mother the Car".  He also was the spokesperson for Hersheypark a few years ago, I think that's all he does anymore.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536

Big Lots is closing stores? I didn't know they were having trouble.

I think Big Lots is closing stores because they are not performing well in those areas, and they keep opening stores to test out new areas to see how they do. Same with Office Max.

Anonymous

Does anyone know what the one in Philadelphia (Franklin Mills Boulevard) was before? It's their newest store in the Philly area. Anyway, here's what their other Philly area stores originally were:
Aston, Delaware County: Drug Emporium
Norristown, Montgomery County: Acme
Lansdale, Montgomery County: Ames
Kennett Square, Chester County: Jamesway
Bristol, Bucks County: JCPenney Furniture Outlet

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
Does anyone know what the one in Philadelphia (Franklin Mills Boulevard) was before? It's their newest store in the Philly area. Anyway, here's what their other Philly area stores originally were:
Aston, Delaware County: Drug Emporium
Norristown, Montgomery County: Acme
Lansdale, Montgomery County: Ames
Kennett Square, Chester County: Jamesway
Bristol, Bucks County: JCPenney Furniture Outlet

I haven't been to the Franklin Mills Mall since early summer, but I remember there was work being done to the former Hechinger store, so that may have been it :huh:

BillyGr

The first photo is the store in Poughkeepsie (off Route 44).  This store was a Stop & Shop, until they demolished the former Caldor in the plaza and buil a Super Stop & Shop there.

The 2nd is the store in Troy Plaza on Hoosick St (Rt 7) in Troy.  It is a former Ames (another of those stores with the 6 part front for some kind of former sign).  The Big Lots occupies this part, the right portion (out of the photo) appears to still be empty.

Anonymous

And what was the one in Fairless Hills, PA?

BillyGr

This store is in Pittsfield (MA) in the Allendale plaza at the corner of Route 8 & 9.  It was previosuly other stores (can't remember what at the moment) and became Big Lots about 3-4 Years ago (give or take).

Anonymous

It was 2001, not 1991! I wasn't even born yet, and MacFrugal's/Pic-N-Save wasn't even owned by Big Lots until 1998.

d_fife

here is the big lots in cortland ny

d_fife

here si big lots where ames is in troy ny