Macy's Announces 68 closings

Started by giantsfan2016, January 04, 2017, 05:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

how will those malls replace Macys being gone what will go in?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Zayre88

Another closing for Bangor Maine...

More space to fill there...

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 04, 2017, 05:44:42 PM

what will happen to that mall?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 04, 2017, 05:49:32 PM

what will happen to that mall?
The mall will search for a replacement anchor, whether it's retail or non-retail.

MikeRa

The Philadelphia area will be losing 4 Macy's, all former strawbridge's, 3 of them former Strawbridge & Clothier locations (Neshaminy, Plymouth Meeting, & Voorhees), and the 4th is a replacement store foe John Wanamaker.  It will leave 2 Macy's in South Jersey, both former Bamberger's.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

Bon-Ton might go there, but they only seem to locate a single store in each New England state (except Rhode Island, which has none.) The lure of Canadian tourists might entice them to change that strategy.

katnapped

Quote from: retailisking on January 04, 2017, 08:53:20 PM

Bon-Ton might go there, but they only seem to locate a single store in each New England state (except Rhode Island, which has none.) The lure of Canadian tourists might entice them to change that strategy.

They're not in that great financial shape to be expanding either.

danfifepsu

store215

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 04, 2017, 09:59:49 PM
or Boscov's?

Boscov's tried expanding too quickly in the mid-2000's and it ended up putting them into bankruptcy. They have opened a couple new stores since, but they have been much more selective. (And three of the stores closing that are closest to Philly already have a Boscov's in each of those malls).

retailisking

Quote from: catnap72 on January 04, 2017, 09:06:31 PM
Quote from: retailisking on January 04, 2017, 08:53:20 PM

They're not in that great financial shape to be expanding either.

Very true, but they did open that store in the Maine Mall in 2013, and they weren't any better off financially then.

busman_49

Well shoot...that leaves Eastland Mall in Columbus, Ohio, with only one anchor and even that one (Sears) has a questionable future.  Shame, because I liked going to that mall when we lived there.

mixedday

Quote from: MikeRa on January 04, 2017, 07:08:29 PM
The Philadelphia area will be losing 4 Macy's, all former strawbridge's, 3 of them former Strawbridge & Clothier locations (Neshaminy, Plymouth Meeting, & Voorhees), and the 4th is a replacement store foe John Wanamaker.  It will leave 2 Macy's in South Jersey, both former Bamberger's.

There will be 3 Macy's left in South Jersey: Cherry Hill, Deptford and Hamilton (Mays Landing). But all three were original Macy's (or I guess a couple were Bamberger's - before my time) and never were Strawbridge's.

I'm most concerned about Moorestown and how PREIT will replace it.

I think the Neshaminy and Plymouth Meeting stores are old stores needing to be demolished anyways, and land can be re-purposed. I think Kohl's might be suitable at Plymouth Meeting with a new construction store, if it relocated from it's site in Blue Bell. And possibly Kohl's moving from Hillview center in Cherry Hill (Route 38 E) to Moorestown Mall Macy's site.

And Neshaminy is in a good site/location s well, but maybe JCPenney could move from Philadelphia Mills over there and build a new store. But it's Philadelphia Mills store isn't that old. Voorhees might just be used for more luxury apartments or residential.

I am not too surprised about Plymouth Meeting or Voorhees, but more surprised Macy's decided to leave Neshaminy rather than invest in it, but I guess they realized Oxford Valley being not too far had some of the same local traffic, and more immediate area affluence around it.

store215

Quote from: mixedday on January 05, 2017, 11:38:16 AM

And Neshaminy is in a good site/location s well, but maybe JCPenney could move from Philadelphia Mills over there and build a new store. But it's Philadelphia Mills store isn't that old. Voorhees might just be used for more luxury apartments or residential.

I am not too surprised about Plymouth Meeting or Voorhees, but more surprised Macy's decided to leave Neshaminy rather than invest in it, but I guess they realized Oxford Valley being not too far had some of the same local traffic, and more immediate area affluence around it.

The Neshaminy area is overstored as it is, and the demographics certainly aren't able to support a Macy's. I haven't been in there in years but pictures online seem to indicate the store hasn't been touched since it was a Strawbridge's (green carpet, etc). I think JCPenney would be good for the space, even if they open it as an additional location. Otherwise, maybe Walmart will want to move and build a supercenter attached to the mall similar to Philadelphia Mills? All I know is with the death of Sears likely months away, this is not a good time for mall owners.

mixedday

Quote from: store215 on January 05, 2017, 12:48:02 PM

The Neshaminy area is overstored as it is, and the demographics certainly aren't able to support a Macy's. I haven't been in there in years but pictures online seem to indicate the store hasn't been touched since it was a Strawbridge's (green carpet, etc). I think JCPenney would be good for the space, even if they open it as an additional location. Otherwise, maybe Walmart will want to move and build a supercenter attached to the mall similar to Philadelphia Mills? All I know is with the death of Sears likely months away, this is not a good time for mall owners.

The Neshaminy store wasn't modernized, so there was a level of disinvestment. It's also sandwiched between the Roosevelt Mall (NE Philly) and Oxford Valley Mall, the latter more upscale and near affluence. However, I would disagree that the Neshaminy area demographics aren't able to support a Macy's, those other factors aside. The mall does have Barnes & Noble, for instance, which goes into locations with an educated workforce. It's also in a prime position from a highway access perspective (e.g. much better than Oxford Valley), and the mall area has other successful businesses around it.

Wal-Mart needs too much of flat space, most likely, and doesn't want to be encumbered by providing mall access. Perhaps Kohl's could move in, of course in a new built construction store. It might be an upgrade (in site access) from their current Bensalem location. I was thinking similarly for Plymouth Meeting, where PM Mall is an upgrade in site access from the Blue Bell PA store.

TheFugitive

Closing in Washington Crown Center in Washington, PA (a mall where I worked briefly in the 90's)