Main Menu

Seymour CT Question

Started by M.R.CALDOR, December 21, 2016, 06:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.R.CALDOR

Hey, sorry I've been away for so long. I have a question, I saw on here, on a post dated September 2016, that the Ames in Seymour is still vacant, is this in fact true, I may take a pilgrimage there next week or so and I wanted confirmation before I go, as it is a 50 minute hike from where I live. Also, is the sign still up, that'd be cool. Also are there any other vacant Ames in CT or NY? Thanks for the help in advance.

giantsfan2016

GOOGLE MAPS SHOWS a huge vacant portion of Tri-Town Plaza in Seymour. The photo of was from 2015.  There are no signs on the building and it looks really rundown. A sign identifying tenants in the plaza says 36,000 Square Feet is available for lease. Go to GOOGLEMAPS.COM and type in 828 Derby Ave Seymour, CT.

giantsfan2016

The former Walmart (which was originally Caldor) on Farmington Ave in New Britain is still empty 8 years after Walmart closed.

The former Caldor on the corner of Wolcott Street and Lakewood Road in Waterbury is 2/3 vacant. The extreme right hand side is a Planet Fitness. At one time it was subdivided into an indoor bounce-house place, Bernies, and Planet Fitness.

Most of the former KMART on Wolcott Street is empty. The other part is Ollie's Bargain Basement.

giantsfan2016

Other vacant retail you might be interested in:

A former Linen's and Things in the plaza with Bob's, Stop & Shop, Walmart, and Staples on Wolcott Street in Watebury

A former Spots Authority in the Westfarms Shopping Center next to LA Fitness in Farmington near West Farms Mall.

A former Sports Authority some where in the Bank Street area of Waterbury somewhere by the Brass Mill Mal.

giantsfan2016

Webster Square Plaza in Berlin is still mostly vacant 3 years after Ocean State Job Lot bought the plaza and took over party of the former A&P Super Foodmart.

And while not retail. - Sad the historic Amtrak station in Berlin burned down this morning,

scottw73

Don't forget the former Walmart/Caldors in Derby, it's been vacant since July

giantsfan2016

Quote from: scottw73 on December 21, 2016, 09:03:20 PM

Forgot to mention that one to him. I also didn't realize he was from New Britain do he obviously knows about the old Caldor/Walmart. LOL.

Chuck E. Cheese

THE CALDOR RAINBOW had a good locator, but it isn't updated, sadly.
If my research is correct for vacant Ames stores,

CT:
-Seymour (828 Derby Ave.)
-East Hartford (5 Main St.) (Partially PetSmart)
-Rocky Hill Corp. Offices (2418 Main St.)

MA:
-Agawam (151 Springfield St.) (SIGN)

NY:
-Painted Post (100 Victory Hwy.)

There is probably also more. Ames was in quite a few states.

scottw73

Chuck E. Cheese

Wow!! Great Pics!!
I'll have to stop by soon and take a look for myself.

Chuck E. Cheese

I was visiting some family in the area yesterday and didn't realize they lived down there.
Took some photos. We were in sort of a hurry, so didn't go out back, but some day i'll have to arrange for that shopping cart to be...uh, borrowed. Yeah.

Photos up soon.

Chuck E. Cheese

I think that's a great idea. I had put my phone up to the window, so there is a simple shot of the pillars/floor/back wall, but i'd love to see if there is anything elsewhere in there with Ames on it...

giantsfan2016

Good luck guys. Just know this. I don't think the real estate company is going to let you in there unless you say you're might be interested in leasing the space. They probably can't be having people go into the space for liability reasons.

I know that's what they told me when I inquired about holding a car show for a fundraiser at the old New Britain Walmart.

giantsfan2016

It's kind of wild that the spot is still empty nearly 15 years after the store's demise. Such is the life in a small town.

JJBers

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on December 22, 2016, 04:01:03 PM
THE CALDOR RAINBOW had a good locator, but it isn't updated, sadly.
If my research is correct for vacant Ames stores,

(See below)

There is probably also more. Ames was in quite a few states.
Little update for you:
CT:
-Seymour (828 Derby Ave.)
-East Hartford (5 Main St.) (Partially PetSmart) Michael's opened up along with a Olympia Sports in that area.
-Rocky Hill Corp. Offices (2418 Main St.)

MA:
-Agawam (151 Springfield St.) (SIGN) I have no clue what you're talking about, the sign has been gone since the late-2000s

NY:
-Painted Post (100 Victory Hwy.) While I can't tell for sure, it looks like most of the space has been carved up into multiple stores.

This is based off of Google Street View, so Seymour could have fallen since November 2015.

But here's some hope, the East Providence Ames still looks closed as of October 2016.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Seymour is still there sitting empty. The former member who started this thread visited there earlier this year. (We also got together and visited the empty HQ back in January). The former member and I got into an online fight and when I blocked him on Facebook and Twitter I deleted his account here. When we worked out our differences I discovered there was no way to restore his account and posts here. Yes I am ashamed of what I did. And admit it was an abuse of my powers as an admin on this site. Both Jon (another Admin) and Chris (the owner of the site) said there was no way to restore his account, posts, and pictures.

Anyway I'm hoping to get a job and with luck a car by Spring 2018 so hopefully I can go see Seymour for myself.

Chuck E. Cheese

For Agawam, I was basing it off of a 2007 post from the Caldor Rainbow. It's now a thrift store, I believe.
Thanks for the update, though.

CYCNPOEAFC

Quote from: scottw73 on December 21, 2016, 09:03:20 PM
That store you mentioned is currently in the process of becoming a Big Y.

CYCNPOEAFC

Quote from: Brammy on December 21, 2016, 07:07:21 PM
A sign identifying tenants in the plaza says 36,000 Square Feet is available for lease
That For Lease sign you mentioned is actually covering up the Ames signage. Here's a pic:
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNvGdCdv-qEcb-abWWHwzAo99oRwdUpZGKoO0Bp
You could see faint "Ames" lettering at night. This is because the power to the Ames signage on the road sign hasn't been cut yet.
Also, the anti-shoplifting sticker is still on the doors.

CYCNPOEAFC

Speaking of Wal-Mart, my local Stop and Shop seems to be reusing old Wal-Mart shopping carts. Here's a pic: https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/104512369210529486451/6609286268359040434

giantsfan2016

Quote from: CYCNPOEAFC on October 06, 2018, 11:50:18 AM
Speaking of Wal-Mart, my local Stop and Shop seems to be reusing old Wal-Mart shopping carts. Here's a pic: https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/104512369210529486451/6609286268359040434

The Wolcott Road Stop and Shop in Waterbury, CT was using old Walmart carts. I don't know if they still do or not. It's been a number of years since I've been to Waterbury.

CYCNPOEAFC

Also, the Walmart i mentioned in a few replies ago still has the surveillance camera sign.

standa

giantsfan2016

Demo began yesterday. My friend Lynne took pictures and posted them on her Facebook page. I don't know if her page is public or private.

cysjunk

I am CYCNPOEAFC with a new account since I lost the information to my old one. Interestingly enough the Ames road sign has been visible for quite a while now despite the location being demolished.