2 long time Polka Radio Shows End

Started by giantsfan2016, September 13, 2016, 10:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

2 Long time Polka Radio Shows in Connecticut have ended.

Polka Power Radio which aired Sundays 1PM-3PM on WRYM 840 and dates back to the 1930s on WTIC ended in May 2016. One of the show's hosts is suffering from health issues. There were also no sponsors left. According the host Polka Music is dying. The younger generation do not like the music and do not speak the language. WRYM is now airing its normal Spanish format in the 1PM-3PM time slot.

This is definitely true. A friend of mine who is Polish and is 22 years old does not speak the language told me that Polka Music makes his ears bleed.

The Just Friends Polka Show which aired on WNTY 990 until the Spring of 2016. The show originally known as Patti-Ann's Polka Happiness Show (hosted by Patti-Ann Jakubiak until her death in 2011) had aired on WNTY for over 20 years. No word from the station or hosts as to why the show as canceled. WNTY is now airing its normal KOOL Radio Oldies format in the timeslot.

TheFugitive

Polka music still alive and well here in Western PA.  Up and down the AM radio dial every
weekend.  A few of the shows can be streamed from the WKHB website.

Full disclosure: Being of mainly Irish descent, polka music has never really been my thing.

retailisking

Meanwhile, the Polka Party on WUNH in Durham, NH is still going strong after nearly 30 years...
http://garysred.com/polka-party/