Main Menu

World Almanac

Started by JSIDA17, September 06, 2016, 07:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSIDA17

Does anyone else like to just read through a World Almanac? This may sound weird, but I used to write down every single country listed in it and try to guess which country had which population. Those were the fun weird times...  ::)

TheFugitive

You just reminded me of a horrible nightmare I had back when I was doing retail.

I was working for a catalog chain called David Weis at the time.  I had this dream that
there was a promotion available and I wanted to pursue it.  But in order to do that I had
to pass a written exam.

I was sitting in a classroom that was full of other employees taking the test.   The nightmare
part was that the test consisted of wholly unanswerable multiple choice questions.  One of
them still sticks in my head all these years later.

"The Parker Gold Plated Pen and Pencil Set, Catalog Number SE-20197, is plated in 10 karat gold.  The pen has an easy-flow custom machined stainless steel ball point tip. The pencil uses standard .08mm graphite refills, and has a machined feed mechanism.  It was manufactured in Denmark.  The exact population of Denmark at this moment is:

a) 5,146,237
b) 4,993,216
c) 5,081,272
d) 5,288,306
e) 5,198, 991

They were all questions like that.  I was sweating bullets because I could not answer any of these questions, and was running out of time.  Meanwhile everyone else in the room was whipping through it in a couple of minutes and turning in their exam books.