Inappropriate for a job interview

Started by giantsfan2016, September 04, 2016, 04:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

The other day my boss G-Dawg (not his real name) had to work 2 hours of his shift behind the Customer Service Desk. I was walking past the desk on my way back outside when he calls me over to the desk.

G-Dawg: Marc, you see that kid sitting on the bench over there?
Me: (I glance over at the bench and see a guy in his late teens or early 20s sitting there. He's wearing a pair of basketball shorts and an unbuttoned button-down shirt over a T-shirt). Yeah. What about him?
G-Dawg: He's here for an interview with Sherri.
Me: (Softly): Are you effing kidding me? On what planet is it appropriate to wear basketball shorts and a T-shirt to a job interview?
G-Dawg: I don't know. As much as I hate dressing up, I dressed up for my interview 4 1/2 years ago and I showed you how dressed up I was when I had to go to court back in July.
Me: Me too bro. I hate dressing up, but when I came in for my interview with Stephanie (she had Sherri's job previously) I had on khaki pants, a white button down dress shirt, and a pair of dress shoes. You weren't here that day. Shane and Amy saw me all dressed up.
G-Dawg: If it was up to me I wouldn't hire him.
Me: Neither would I, but from what I heard we're so desperate for help here the only way he wouldn't get the job is if he showed up naked playing a ukulele.

shore72

In a "previous life" I had to hire and fire. It was pretty much my least favorite part of the job. The people I was in charge of were doing manual labor, dirty, dusty, sweaty manual labor. Still, I paid a lot of attention to how they presented themselves in the interview. I met some total slobs, some people who were downright scary (if you interview on January 14, 2003, why would you fill in the date on the application "6/66"?) and had folks come in reeking of booze or dope. And, yes, sometimes you get desperate. You hire the slob, or the guy on dope, because he's the best you can do. You regret it later but you just have to do the best you can with what you've got at any given time.

A real resume, khakis and a polo would always bump you to the top of the list. Bringing your wife/girlfriend/drinking buddy to the interview? Offering me a beer? Hanging out in the office an hour after I thanked you & said goodbye? You made it to the bottom of the pile, my friend. And, also, I looked out the window as you left. I saw what you drove. I drive old cars myself, but if you were as successful as you say you are you wouldn't be driving a Datsun B210!

giantsfan2016

As  suspected they hired him. When I walked into the break room yesterday he was in there watching the "videos' all new hires have to watch.