Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition Coming This November

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), July 16, 2016, 12:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition Coming This November, Ships With 30 Games
We are getting new Nintendo hardware this year after all

by Damien McFerran, Nintendo Life

QuoteIn recent years we've seen a proliferation of "clone" systems which replicate the performance of vintage hardware. The Retron 5 and Retro Freak are perhaps the two most notable examples, but it would seem that Nintendo itself has finally woken up to the potential of reselling its classic systems in new guises.

Today it has shocked the retro gaming community by announcing the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition (Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System in Europe), a "new" version of its legendary NES hardware which will cost $59.99 in the US.

It connects to your TV via HDMI and even comes with that classic NES pad, which can also be used with your Wii or Wii U. You can also use a Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro on the system for two-player action, but the new NES pad will be sold separately for $9.99 as well - just in case you like consistency.

Sadly you can't use your original NES carts with the console - something even the most basic "Famiclone" offers - and there doesn't seem to be any means of getting new games onto it. Also, according to the official PR, there's no power supply in the box with the European version - you get the USB cable but you'll need to source a USB power block, which shouldn't be an issue as most mobile phones come with them. Here's what Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime had to say:

"We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo's original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place. The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers."

The console arrives on the 11th November and will come with 30 pre-loaded titles:

Balloon Fight
   BUBBLE BOBBLE
   Castlevania
   Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
   Donkey Kong
   Donkey Kong Jr.
   DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
   Dr. Mario
   Excitebike
   FINAL FANTASY
   Galaga
   GHOSTS 'N GOBLINS
   GRADIUS
   Ice Climber
   Kid Icarus
   Kirby's Adventure
   Mario Bros.
   MEGA MAN 2
   Metroid
   NINJA GAIDEN
   PAC-MAN
   Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
   StarTropics
   SUPER C
   Super Mario Bros.
   Super Mario Bros. 2
   Super Mario Bros. 3
   TECMO BOWL
   The Legend of Zelda
   Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Are you excited about this 'new retro' addition to the Nintendo hardware family?

Chuck E. Cheese

Yeah, I saw this pop up in some of my feeds.
I like the idea, but some of the games i'd be interested were already re-released or remastered onto the GBA, my favorite console. :3

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on July 16, 2016, 08:05:17 AM
I like the idea, but some of the games i'd be interested were already re-released or remastered onto the GBA, my favorite console. :3
Those Game Boy games are perfect for road trips, but the NES Classic Mini gives us an authentic gaming experience for $70 ($60 for the console with controller and $10 for an additional controller). Another thing I like about is that it uses HDMI cables instead of composite or RF, HDMI gives it that clear-as-a-bell picture.

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 16, 2016, 08:15:41 AM
Those Game Boy games are perfect for road trips, but the NES Classic Mini gives us an authentic gaming experience for $70 ($60 for the console with controller and $10 for an additional controller). Another thing I like about is that it uses HDMI cables instead of composite or RF, HDMI gives it that clear-as-a-bell picture.

Too bad you can play Duck Hunt on it since the Zapper does work on newer flatscreen TVs!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Quote from: Pikapower on August 21, 2016, 03:21:12 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 16, 2016, 08:15:41 AM

Too bad you can play Duck Hunt on it since the Zapper does work on newer flatscreen TVs!

"Too bad you can not play Duck Hunt on it since the Zapper does not work on newer flatscreen TVs!"

Fixed.

No, it does not have Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley or Wild Gunman on it.

The Zapper only works with cathode ray tube TVs, not flatscreen TVs. The Game Boy Advance versions of the NES games have a squished screen resolution which makes them far from perfect. The 30 games on the NES Classic Edition mini are at their fullest screen resolution, plus they are pixel perfect. There are even some games on here that you can not find on the Game Boy Advance or Wii/Wii U Virtual Console. Another reason to buy this console: it saves you time tracking down your favorite games.

giantsfan2016

I would like to buy one, but I'm trying to save my money to get a car.

I'm getting one just for the novelty of it. It even has pixel perfect mode.

giantsfan2016