Main Menu

Motel 6

Started by TheFugitive, July 11, 2016, 09:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Stayed in one last week out in York, Pennsylvania.

Room was basically clean, and staff was very friendly.  Interestingly the room had no carpeting.
Had Pergo-style wood flooring throughout (even the bathroom!).  I suppose for ease of cleaning.

Weird thing is that there were TWO Motel 6 locations in this same part of town, roughly
a block away from each other.  We went to the first one and were told "oh, no, your reservation
is for the one down the street."

???

TheFugitive

There is a Motel 6 not far from where I am on Banksville Road in Pittsburgh.

I have yet to replace Photobucket as my picture host, so I'll need to describe this to you.
The hotel has two sections.  The main part is facing Banksville Road, a couple of miles
south of the tunnel coming out of Downtown Pittsburgh.  There is a sign and a parking
lot out front.

Behind the hotel is a street known as Old Banksville Road (obviously where traffic went
before the modern four-lane Banksville was constructed).  Across that is another smaller
section of the hotel, linked to the main one by a footbridge.

For reasons I have yet to figure out the larger section of the motel on the main road is being demolished. There is a Motel 6 sign currently sitting in front of a huge pile of rubble.

However....on that sign is a banner that says "Yes, we are open!  Come around back!"

The owners are apparently still trying to operate a Motel 6 out of the remaining back
portion of the motel on Old Banksville, even as most of the hotel lies in a pile of rubble
which guests have to cross in order to get to the remaining structure.

I am absolutely stunned that Motel 6 has not revoked their franchise and confiscated
all of their signage.

TheFugitive

The front section of this Motel 6 has been demolished.  Just a rubble-strewn vacant lot now.
There is still a Motel 6 pylon sign out front that has a blue tarp thrown over it.

The back section of this motel (on the other side of Old Banksville Road) is still standing
and it looks as if it may be occupied.  There is no hotel signage on it so I suppose it is
now serving as private efficiency apartments.

The local rumor is that someone was running a drug lab in one of the rooms, messing around
with some combination of meth and fentanyl.  Whatever they did apparently caused the building
to be declared a toxic waste site and it was demolished almost immediately.