Big Box chains in Malls?

Started by mixedday, May 16, 2016, 08:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixedday

Not counting the inline tenant of Best Buy Mobile, does Best Buy ever open as a junior anchor to a mall? What about other specialty big box chains?

I've seen Dick's, The Sports Authority, Burlington, Barnes & Noble and Old Navy in malls.

But, I've yet to see Best Buy, Toys R Us/Babies R Us, Bed Bath & Beyond or Pier 1.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Best Buy is a junior anchor in the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.
Toys "R" Us is a junior anchor at the Puente Hills Mall in City of Industry, California. It occupies a small portion of the large former JCPenney department store. (This mall was the Twin Pines/Lone Pine Mall in the movie "Back to the Future"). Vaughan Mills Mall in Toronto, Ontario, Canada also has Toys "R" Us for a junior anchor store.

busman_49

Forest Fair Mall in Cincinnati has Babies R Us.   It's no longer accessible from inside the mall, but it was at one point.

Hudsons81

Southland Center in Taylor, Michigan has Shoe Carnival, Ulta and Best Buy. Only the latter has both mall and exterior entrances and the rest don't have exterior entrances, I believe.

JSIDA17

The Greendale Mall in Worcester, MA has Best Buy as one of it's anchors. The mall is entering foreclosure though.

TheFugitive

One of the anchors at South Hills Village in Pittsburgh (the former Hornes/Lazarus/Boscov's location) is now split between Dick's and Target.

I briefly worked at a Hills store that was one of the anchors in a mall in Washington, PA.

When I was with Ames we had a store anchoring a mall in Defiance, Ohio.

BillyGr

Best Buy is in Crossgates Mall in Albany, taking one of the two floors that were originally Caldor.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

A couple of malls in Canada have Walmart as anchor stores. Walmart opened more new stores at more malls when Target closed their Canadian locations. Now some malls have a Walmart that was previously Target, which was previously Zellers, which was previously Kmart. Some Walmart stores were originally Woolco stores.

buzz86us

Jamesway anchored Johnstown Mall in Johnstown NY
there was an Ames, CompUSA, Best Buy and a Circuit City in Carousal Center
Corssgates Mall had a Nobody Beats the Whiz
Bradlees now Target anchors Sangertown Mall
Target anchors Aviation Mall

BillyGr

Quote from: buzz86us on May 18, 2016, 06:30:41 PM

In later years they were also an anchor in the Saratoga Mall (now an open air plaza with Target) next to the still existing Wilton Mall.

there was an Ames, CompUSA, Best Buy and a Circuit City in Carousal Center

Crossgates Mall had a Nobody Beats the Whiz
And of course a Caldor (the current home of Best Buy on one floor)

Bradlees now Target anchors Sangertown Mall

Target anchors Aviation Mall
That mall also contained Caldor at one time (where Bon Ton is now, I believe - known by the court that connects it to the mall).

buzz86us

Quote from: BillyGr on May 18, 2016, 07:07:21 PM

In later years they were also an anchor in the Saratoga Mall (now an open air plaza with Target) next to the still existing Wilton Mall.
towards the end that was a Flea Market

jason83080

Midway Mall here in Elyria, OH, has a Best Buy and a Dunham's Sports as 'junior anchors.' Best Buy got a mall entrance added in a few years ago, and Dunham's moved into an old Steve & Barry's building, which has had a mall entrance since it originally opened. The only main anchors it has left are Sears and JCPenney. Dillard's closed almost 10 years ago, and Macy's closed down very recently.