Main Menu

Where is everybody?

Started by JSIDA17, May 05, 2016, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSIDA17

I was just drifting through the forums and I realize that not many people post on these forums anymore. Why not? This seems like the perfect place to talk about anything retail or any general stuff that's on your mind. I think it's a pretty big mystery why I only see three other active members online at the same time. Does anyone else agree?

busman_49

I agree completely!

I understand this forum has been around for a while, and like others I am a member of, people move on to other things and post less frequently or stop altogether.  Still, though, I wish it were more active.

TheFugitive

It's getting close to 15 years since Ames went out of business.

Sadly it's disappearing down the memory hole.

JimSawhill

I think if we rename this 'The JCPennyfanClub.net' it'll be active. Or 'SearsfanClub' or 'KMartfanclub'.  I think with the Economy being bad, this should get busier.

busman_49

My first two thoughts when I joined were:
"Looks like I'm late to the party" and "I wonder how we can make this more active again"

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Pikapower

Quote from: JimSawhill on May 06, 2016, 11:31:15 AM
I think if we rename this 'The JCPennyfanClub.net' it'll be active. Or 'SearsfanClub' or 'KMartfanclub'.  I think with the Economy being bad, this should get busier.

How about if we rename this "The Defunct Retailers Fan Club"?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

busman_49

Quote from: Pikapower on May 07, 2016, 01:40:55 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on May 06, 2016, 11:31:15 AM

How about if we rename this "The Defunct Retailers Fan Club"?

Or just "The Retail Fan Club"?  Since some of what we talk about isn't necessarily defunct.

Chuck E. Cheese

"Retail Forums *smaller text* AmesFanClub.com"
I can do a logo for that if you guys wanna actually do that
Is the webmaster still active? I know he's still paying since one day it went down and said the domain was for sale! (It came back, obviously.)

JSIDA17

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on May 07, 2016, 08:49:15 PM
"Retail Forums *smaller text* AmesFanClub.com"
I can do a logo for that if you guys wanna actually do that
Is the webmaster still active? I know he's still paying since one day it went down and said the domain was for sale! (It came back, obviously.)

That sounds great!

Bradlees2001

I need some help from all of you. I am making a scrapbook of pictures of former Bradlees locations across New England, and some of the former items that were bought there, as well as some shopping cart pics. If you have any pictures of any of the items i described send them to danielcataloni@gmail.com. It would be a real help if you did! :)

Pikapower

Quote from: Bradlees2001 on May 08, 2016, 01:44:48 PM
I need some help from all of you. I am making a scrapbook of pictures of former Bradlees locations across New England, and some of the former items that were bought there, as well as some shopping cart pics. If you have any pictures of any of the items i described send them to danielcataloni@gmail.com. It would be a real help if you did! :)

We have a Bradlees thread in the Closed Chains section. ;)

Link: http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Ameskid

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on May 07, 2016, 08:49:15 PM
Is the webmaster still active?
Good question, I have not seen Chris in a while.

He and other founding members - Zayre88, tokensafari, Amesman, etc. - all seem to have limited activity on here these days.  Perhaps they've just moved on as well.

Additionally, I think the forums are heading into dubious territory with all these new subforums. Amusement parks? Fitness centers? Is there really enough discussion about these that warrants their own subforum? Are there not other places online to discuss them?
With each addition to the main forum index, it looks more cluttered, which isn't good for first-time viewers.

One last note: as this is a division of the main AFC site, I think most people go through there to get to the forums.  The last update was on February 18, 2008.  To the casual viewer, it might appear that since the site has not been updated in eight years, then the forums are just as dead and not worth bothering with.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

retailisking

I think most retail fans have moved on to Facebook. I know most of my activity is there these days. There is a much more immediate connection with other members there and we share a lot about our personal lives in addition to our retail fetishes. Facebook also makes it so much easier to share multimedia content. Since all the Facebook groups I'm involved with are closed, there's less chance of people who work in the business being hassled by their employers and can speak freely about the various issues they encounter.

Regarding this forum, a while back I suggested upgrading the message board software to something a bit more up-to-date and user friendly, but it was decided that it was more trouble than it was worth. I don't think this board will die, but it will never be as busy as it once was because there are so many other retail forums out there.

Chuck E. Cheese

I know how to make and edit websites. If the admins want I can code a notice saying that the official site "front" is closed for updates.

JSIDA17

Are we still doing this? Please tell me we are!!!  ;D ::)

retailisking

In a curious turn of fate, I've left Facebook and now have more time to spend here. Ironically, now that I'm not on Facebook I have fewer sources for retail news!

Chuck E. Cheese

Quote from: JSIDA17 on May 27, 2016, 08:35:24 PM
I unfortunately don't have any form of contact to any admin except for PM.
I might be able to use Facebook..

JSIDA17

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on July 30, 2016, 02:50:10 PM
Quote from: JSIDA17 on May 27, 2016, 08:35:24 PM
I unfortunately don't have any form of contact to any admin except for PM.
I might be able to use Facebook..

Ask away! I'd hate to see a good idea like this fade into obscurity.

Ameskid

No but seriously though, how about removing the Myspace link from the homepage? Doesn't get much more outdated than that.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/