Main Menu

Latham, NY (New Loudon Center)

Started by Retail_247, January 30, 2023, 12:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail_247

I found this photo on a random PDF a while ago

You cannot see attachments on this board.

The store was in a former Bradlees, which closed in 1996

(The first image came from Historic Images / Worthpoint, he second image is from a Newspaper.com archive I think) 
Retail_247

BillyGr

Today a large part of it is a Hobby Lobby, while the neighboring Price Chopper took over a portion of the space when they converted that one to the Market Bistro store a number of years ago.

Retail_247

Apparently the 2nd photo of Bradlees is actually the store in New London, CT (which closed in 1998)

And apparently I didn't get the photo from Newspapers.com, rather, I got it right here on the forum (on the Bradlees topic, of course)
Retail_247

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail_247 on February 11, 2023, 05:01:54 PMApparently the 2nd photo of Bradlees is actually the store in New London, CT (which closed in 1998)

And apparently I didn't get the photo from Newspapers.com, rather, I got it right here on the forum (on the Bradlees topic, of course)

OK, though they certainly look like they are all of the same building at different points in time, so it is quite easy to be confused :)

Also, not the right angles to see the rest of the stores (which at those times were all to the left of this one, the current Price Chopper turned Market Bistro was a fairly late addition to the plaza - in fact it is their THIRD separate spot in the plaza!). 
Original was directly to the left of the Bradlees, much like the common Kmart with supermarket configuration (last I knew it was Marshalls), then they built on to the far-left end (was Raymour and Flanigan furniture) before moving to the current right end spot.

108CAM

Store #751, Became a Bon Ton after Ames closed. Bon Ton closed in 2018 and the store is now a Hobby Lobby

Timeline: Bradlees > Ames > Bon Ton > Hobby Lobby
It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.

Retail Regents

Quote from: 108CAM on February 12, 2023, 09:23:09 PMStore #751, Became a Bon Ton after Ames closed. Bon Ton closed in 2018 and the store is now a Hobby Lobby

It was also J.M. Fields before Bradlees, hence the large ornate facade. And Bon-Ton actually closed this store in 2010 with Hobby Lobby moving in shortly after.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on February 13, 2023, 12:39:33 AM
Quote from: 108CAM on February 12, 2023, 09:23:09 PMStore #751, Became a Bon Ton after Ames closed. Bon Ton closed in 2018 and the store is now a Hobby Lobby

It was also J.M. Fields before Bradlees, hence the large ornate facade. And Bon-Ton actually closed this store in 2010 with Hobby Lobby moving in shortly after.

That makes sense, as I have seen photos of the Mohawk Mall one being Fields before Bradlees, but can't say I have seen a photo of this one. 

Being those were the two Bradlees in the area (the only other one I think of is across from HVCC, but I don't know that that plaza was around far enough back for anything pre-Bradlees and PC), it seems logical that they took over both (as, apparently did PC from the Pantry Pride food section of Fields in both cases?).

Retail_247

Quote from: Retail Regents on February 13, 2023, 12:39:33 AM

I think the facade was remodeled by Bradlees, as the store in New London, CT (as seen in the 2nd Bradlees photo) looks almost exactly like the Latham, NY location, however, the store in New London (as far as I know) was never a J.M. Fields, as it is a former Two Guys
Retail_247

Retail_247

Quote from: Retail_247 on February 11, 2023, 05:01:54 PMApparently the 2nd photo of Bradlees is actually the store in New London, CT (which closed in 1998)

Apparently I was actually right the FIRST time, as I found that photo again, this time with the original caption, where it mentions that its Latham:

http://web.archive.org/web/20230213002126/https://www2.online-converting.com/upload/api_34fb69b978/result.jpg

Here's a photo of the actual store in New London:

https://books.google.com/books?id=BBMhAAAAIBAJ&pg=PA8&dq=Bradlees+grand+opening&article_id=2741,1711792&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOmaDfrK6AAxWfF1kFHcOeDbAQ6AF6BAgMEAI#v=onepage&q=Bradlees%20grand%20opening&f=false
Retail_247