Ahold/Delhaize offer 83 stores for sale to satisfy FTC antitrust concerns

Started by retailisking, March 21, 2016, 01:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Every remaining Martin's that was a Ukrop's would be sold or close under the proposal; note that not a single Giant-Carlisle store is listed (unless, of course, you include the Martin's that were Ukrop's overseen by the Giant-Carlisle division.) Food Lion will apparently be abandoning its northermost markets as well. Hannaford bears the brunt of closures in overlap areas with Stop & Shop, at least in Massachusetts.

Food Lion

17232 Village Main Blvd Lewes, DE
24832 John Williams Hwy Millsboro, DE
36731 Old Mill Rd. Millville, DE
19287 Miller Rd Rehoboth Beach, DE
409 N. McNeill Rd. Berryville, MD
45315 Alton Lane California, MD
20995 Point Lookout Callaway, MD
5896 Robert Oliver Place Columbia, MD
15300 McMullen Hwy., SW Cumberland, MD
219 Marlboro Ave. Easton, MD
3261 Solomons Island Rd. Edgewater, MD
6551 Waterloo Rd. Elkridge, MD
6375 Monroe Ave Eldersburg, MD
17600 Old National Sq Pike Frostburg, MD
16567 S. Frederick Rd Gaithersburg, MD
883 Russell Ave Gaithersburg, MD
18360 College Rd. Hagerstown, MD
18717 North Pointe Dr. Hagerstown, MD
17718 Virginia Ave. Hagerstown, MD
761 E. Wilson Blvd Hagerstown, MD
19 St Mary’s Sq. Lexington Park, MD
210 Harry Truman Rd Lusby, MD
12100 Central Ave Mitchellville, MD
9251 Lakeside Blvd. Owings Mills, MD
750 Pr Frederick Blvd Prince Frederick, MD
10 Village Center Rd. Reisterstown, MD
5715 Crain Hwy Upper Marlboro, MD
875 Lincoln Way West Chambersburg, PA
4170 Philadelphia Ave. Chambersburg, PA
11105 Buchanan Trail Waynesboro, PA
3611 E. Market St. York, PA
505 Meadowbrook SC Culpeper, VA
540 Culpeper Town Mall Culpeper, VA
260 Remount Rd. Front Royal, VA
609 E. Main St. Purcellville, VA
380 Fairfax Pike Stephens City, VA
707 Fort Collier Rd Winchester, VA
2600 Valley Ave. Winchester, VA
249 Sunnyside Plaza Circle Winchester, VA
190 Delco Plaza Winchester, VA
159 Grocery Ave Winchester, VA
1317 Old Courthouse Sq Martinsburg, WV
11400 Winchester Ave. Martinsburg, WV

Giant/Landover

7025 Berry Rd. Accokeek, MD
200 Rosewick Rd. La Plata, MD
751 S. Salisbury Blvd. Salisbury, MD
550 Celebration V Pkwy Fredericksburg, VA
5701 Plank Rd Fredericksburg, VA
1245 Jefferson Davis Fredericksburg, VA
35 Town & Country Dr. Fredericksburg, VA
10346 Courthouse Rd. Spotsylvania, VA
317 Worth Rd. Stafford, VA

Hannaford

25 Robert Dr. Easton, MA
2 Timpany Blvd. Gardner, MA
182 Summer St. Kingston, MA
Medway Rd. Milford, MA
475 Hancock St. North Quincy, MA
10 Washington St. Norwell, MA
434 Walpole St. Norwood, MA
357 Broadway Saugus, MA

Martin’s

253 N. Washington Hwy Ashland, VA
12601 Jefferson Davis Hwy Chester, VA
6401 Centralia Rd. Chesterfield, VA
3107 Boulevard #15 Colonial Heights, VA
40150 Brooke Rd Glen Allen, VA
9645 W. Broad Glen Allen, VA
10250 Staple Mill Rd Glen Allen, VA
13700 Hull Street Rd. Midlothian, VA
200 Charter Colony Pkwy Midlothian, VA
1522 West Cary St. Richmond, VA
10001 Hull St. Rd. Richmond, VA
3460 Pump Rd Richmond, VA
2250 John Rolfe Pkwy Richmond, VA
7045 Forest Hill Ave Richmond, VA
5700 Brook Rd Richmond, VA
7055 Three Chopt Richmond, VA
11361 Midlothian Tpke Richmond, VA
4591 South Laburnum Ave Richmond, VA
5201 Chippenham Crossing Ctr. Richmond, VA
1015 Richmond Ave. Staunton, VA

Stop & Shop

384 Timpany Blvd. Gardner, MA
271 Main St. New Paltz, NY
1357 US Highway 9 Wappingers Falls, NY

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on March 21, 2016, 01:56:21 PM
Hannaford bears the brunt of closures in overlap areas with Stop & Shop.

Actually only in the areas in MA where they overlap.  The only two stores listed in the NY overlap area are both S&S locations (and only two, while the local sites had been suggesting three).

shore72

Very interesting...many of the stores are local to me. I'm anxious to learn who might buy. The Delaware and Easton, MD locations are in some higher income areas, and a lot of the Food Lions are relatively up to date. The Salisbury, MD Giant is a different animal: it must be 50+ years old, in an older part of town, but it is consistently the busiest supermarket I've been in. It's a very long, narrow store.

I haven't kept up on the merger...will there be conversions of Food Lions to Giants or vice versa?

JimSawhill

nysw3636

retailisking

Quote from: nysw3636 on March 30, 2016, 05:15:48 PM
Stop & Shop Rhinebeck,NY is also for sale!!!

Is that official? There was a story in the Poughkeepsie Journal a couple of weeks ago listing the store, but I haven't read anything about that location since then.

MikeRa

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 26, 2016, 10:44:12 PM
I wonder who'll buy those stores??
I doubt it will be Albertsons Companies,for MD and VA, since in MD they have Acme and Safeway, and VA they have Safeway.  I can see Albertsons companies acquiring the DE, PA, and WV stores, possibility the MA stores.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on March 30, 2016, 05:56:14 PM
I doubt it will be Albertsons Companies,for MD and VA, since in MD they have Acme and Safeway, and VA they have Safeway.  I can see Albertsons companies acquiring the DE, PA, and WV stores, possibility the MA stores.

Don't forget they already have Shaw's stores in MA as well, though I don't know how they sit in proximity to the Hannaford and one Stop & Shop in MA being listed.

Same could go for Acme as they are in DE and PA also, just depends on how these locations fit their existing footprint.

Also they could potentially look at the two Stop & Shop locations listed in NY, since their (Acme's) recent purchases of A&P stores in NY are relatively close to (but not too close to) at least the Wappinger's Falls location, and New Paltz isn't really that far either (save finding a bridge to cross the river).

MikeRa

Quote from: BillyGr on March 30, 2016, 07:33:52 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on March 30, 2016, 05:56:14 PM

Don't forget they already have Shaw's stores in MA as well, though I don't know how they sit in proximity to the Hannaford and one Stop & Shop in MA being listed.

Same could go for Acme as they are in DE and PA also, just depends on how these locations fit their existing footprint.

Also they could potentially look at the two Stop & Shop locations listed in NY, since their (Acme's) recent purchases of A&P stores in NY are relatively close to (but not too close to) at least the Wappinger's Falls location, and New Paltz isn't really that far either (save finding a bridge to cross the river).
The Food Lion stores in Chambersburg and Waynesboro are nowhere near any Acme Markets.  The York, PA might be near an acme Markets in Chester County.

It looks like the Hannaford stores are near Shaw's stores, especially North Quincy locaton.  Acme can easily take the 2 NY S&S stores.

shore72

Acme has been on the decline for decades on the Delmarva peninsula, largely had the hand of Food Lion. Many older, smaller locations couldn't compete when FL came to town. Safeway, meanwhile, has been building new stores as of late. I could see them picking and choosing some locations. Salisbury, MD hasn't had either an Acme or Safeway for years. I could see the Giant getting a major facelift to become a Safeway.

In Easton, MD Safeway has a tiny (by today's standards) old store located right downtown. It would be easy for them to move the short distance away to the Food Lion...except that Acme would be right across the street. With Harris-Teeter just opening up in town it seems the higher end of the market would be running out of oxygen.

Another player that's been opening lots of stores in DE: Redner's. This could be a great chance for them to expand.

nysw3636

Rumorville...

S&S New Paltz- Shop Rite & Market 32 (Price Chopper) bidding
S&S Rhinebeck- Shop Rite bidding
S&S Wappinger Falls- ?? (dead store)

JimSawhill

Quote from: nysw3636 on April 11, 2016, 06:24:56 PM
Rumorville...

S&S New Paltz- Shop Rite & Market 32 (Price Chopper) bidding
S&S Rhinebeck- Shop Rite bidding
S&S Wappinger Falls- ?? (dead store)

Any updates on the sales process?

nysw3636

As for Tops buying 6 Stop & Shop stores, they list Carmel and Lagrange as S&S's... They are Hannafords...

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on July 13, 2016, 10:44:08 PM
86 units have been unloaded to various parties. It's a real page-turner...
http://best-met.com/news/breaking-news-ahold-delhaize-sell-86-stores-weis-supervalu-publix-gain-merger-track-late-july-closing/

For the most part the outcome doesn't seem all that bad. Weis grows in DC/Baltimore and gives Virginia another shot, Big Y gets into Greater Boston, Supervalu gets to grow their Shop n' Save banner, and Publix gets into Richmond with a lot less effort than originally intended.

The Tops acquisition is a real head scratcher and makes me wonder if they have other plans up their sleeves in buying some independent markets out to grow in eastern New York as well as that outlier in Garner, MA. Good planning that they get the Gardner Hannaford which has a beer/wine/liquor license that they can easily keep.

I wonder where the Golubs were in this. The Hudson Valley stores going to Tops would've been a great way to grow the Market 32 brand slightly southward towards NYC and the Greater Boston stores going to Big Y would've done the same in that market. Might the conversion process of most of their stores from Price Chopper be eating up most of their energy to expand further or might something else be going on. A similar case could be said for Giant Eagle as the Shop n' Save stores and some of the fringe Weis acquisitions would've filled the gap between their core and the Frederick, MD outliers.

retailisking

I think you hit the nail on the head about the Golubs. They really missed a golden opportunity here; instead they have put all their eggs into the Market 32 basket and presumably have no resources for further expansion through acquisition.

BillyGr

Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 14, 2016, 07:26:14 PM
The Tops acquisition is a real head scratcher and makes me wonder if they have other plans up their sleeves in buying some independent markets out to grow in eastern New York as well as that outlier in Garner, MA. Good planning that they get the Gardner Hannaford which has a beer/wine/liquor license that they can easily keep.

I wonder where the Golubs were in this. The Hudson Valley stores going to Tops would've been a great way to grow the Market 32 brand slightly southward towards NYC and the Greater Boston stores going to Big Y would've done the same in that market. Might the conversion process of most of their stores from Price Chopper be eating up most of their energy to expand further or might something else be going on. A similar case could be said for Giant Eagle as the Shop n' Save stores and some of the fringe Weis acquisitions would've filled the gap between their core and the Frederick, MD outliers.

Somehow I don't even think the Tops chain was "on the radar" when it came to those stores.  Unless, perhaps, they still have some sort of background connections from their days as part of the Ahold group?

The 5 in NY aren't really that odd, since they are not really too far away from a few of the former Grand Union locations that they got in/near the Catskills, and all 5 are in reasonable proximity to each other.  The only thing that might have been is if they took the one GU they didn't get in Millerton, as that at the time seemed a bit out from the rest, but would be more logical now with these stores added in.
Now, that one in MA... that seems a bit odd.

As to Price 32 (or is that Market Chopper  ;)) it could very well be the funds going towards renovating, but they have also built one new location in the Market 32 format and have at least one more under construction so that adds a bit of confusion to it.

JimSawhill

Big Y buying the Boston area stores is surprising...I think Market Basket will beat Big Y, both stores are hurting thou...(Big Y closed some stores recently, Market Basket family is still fighting each other)

retailisking

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 19, 2016, 12:02:27 PM
Big Y buying the Boston area stores is surprising...I think Market Basket will beat Big Y, both stores are hurting thou...(Big Y closed some stores recently, Market Basket family is still fighting each other)

Market Basket is in a paradoxical situation, free to do whatever it wants with the other side of the family out of the picture, but with so much debt that they have to slow their expansion. Big Y was hurting not that long ago (not unlike Weis in the mid-Atlantic) but seem to be on a stable footing and best able to take advantage of these opportunities. The Demoulas family is still fighting each other in court, but over tax issues, not the operation of the Market Basket stores.

Scrabbleship

Ended up at the North Quincy Hannaford yesterday, people from Big Y were already doing a second round of due diligence and a couple of employees mentioned a date for Big Y opening: September 12th.

An interesting wrinkle in this is how the Walgreens/Rite Aid merger will play into this. North Quincy and Saugus have a Rite Aid right next door and have a larger Walgreens close by. I can see the leases, and if possible pharmacy licenses, for both acquired by Big Y with both being used for expansion.

nysw3636

I heard that Shop Rite had the lowest $$ bids. Just saying...

retailisking

Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 26, 2016, 09:40:21 AM
Ended up at the North Quincy Hannaford yesterday, people from Big Y were already doing a second round of due diligence and a couple of employees mentioned a date for Big Y opening: September 12th.

An interesting wrinkle in this is how the Walgreens/Rite Aid merger will play into this. North Quincy and Saugus have a Rite Aid right next door and have a larger Walgreens close by. I can see the leases, and if possible pharmacy licenses, for both acquired by Big Y with both being used for expansion.

Good point - Big Y does have its own in-house pharmacy operation, plus the FTC likes competition.

MikeRa

Will the combined Ahold Delhaize now use the "Giant/Martins/Stop & Shop" Fruit Bowl brands, or will they use the "My Essentials" brand?

MikeRa

Here are the ones Weis is purchasing:

2565   17232 N Village Main Blvd   Lewes   DE
960   24832 John J Williams Hwy   Millsboro   DE
1321   36731 Old Mill Road   Millville   DE
488   19287 Miller Road   Rehoboth Beach   DE
1356   15789 Livingston Road   Accokeek   MD
784   45315 Alton Lane   California   MD
2515   20995 Point Lookout Road   Callaway   MD
2598   5896 Robert Oliver Place   Columbia   MD
1549   15300 Mcmullen Hwy SW   Cumberland   MD
1289   219 Marlboro Avenue   Easton   MD
1315   3261 Solomons Island Road   Edgewater   MD
1324   6375 Monroe Avenue   Eldersburg   MD
1529   6551 Waterloo Road   Elkridge   MD
1187   17600 Old National Sq Pike   Frostburg   MD
1345   16567 South Frederick Road   Gaithersburg   MD
1477   883 Russell Avenue   Gaithersburg   MD
1168   100 Drury Drive   La Plata   MD
1210   19 St. Mary’s Square   Lexington Park   MD
2606   210 H G Trueman Road   Lusby   MD
1387   12100 Central Avenue   Mitchellville   MD
2535   9251 Lakeside Boulevard   Owings Mills   MD
1526   750 Prince Frederick Blvd   Prince Frederick   MD
786   10 Village Center Road   Reisterstown   MD
1443   13300 H G Trueman Road   Solomons   MD
1535   5715 Crain Highway   Upper Marlboro   MD
250   505 Meadowbrook Shopping Ctr   Culpeper   VA
1567   540 Culpeper Town Mall   Culpeper   VA
1235   10601 Spotsylvania Avenue   Fredericksburg   VA
419   10611 Courthouse Road   Fredericksburg   VA
2583   10871 Tidewater Trail   Fredericksburg   VA
358   282 Deacon Road   Fredericksburg   VA
450   4153 Plank Road   Fredericksburg   VA
1043   515 Jefferson Davis Highway   Fredericksburg   VA
1579   7100 Salem Fields Boulevard   Fredericksburg   VA
1243   736 Warrenton Road   Fredericksburg   VA
1177   9801 Courthouse Road   Spotsylvania   VA
1166   2612 Jefferson Davis Highway   Stafford   VA
578   905 Garrisonville Road   Stafford   VA

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on July 27, 2016, 02:57:47 PM
Will the combined Ahold Delhaize now use the "Giant/Martins/Stop & Shop" Fruit Bowl brands, or will they use the "My Essentials" brand?

Seems like more of the stuff in Hannaford has had their name on it recently, over the My Essentials label - not sure if they went back to that after getting rid of the Bottom $ stores, since the Hannaford and Food Lion brands have a fair split between them so no issue of one supply area having to send to both?

Of course, they could just both use their own labels - unlike the Safeway/Albertsons merger where Albertsons brand stores were losing access to the labels they had from Supervalu, in this case there is no issue with both brands being available (and possibly a way to differentiate in the overlapping areas)?

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on July 27, 2016, 03:57:39 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on July 27, 2016, 02:57:47 PM

Seems like more of the stuff in Hannaford has had their name on it recently, over the My Essentials label - not sure if they went back to that after getting rid of the Bottom $ stores, since the Hannaford and Food Lion brands have a fair split between them so no issue of one supply area having to send to both?

Of course, they could just both use their own labels - unlike the Safeway/Albertsons merger where Albertsons brand stores were losing access to the labels they had from Supervalu, in this case there is no issue with both brands being available (and possibly a way to differentiate in the overlapping areas)?

Apart from the Taste of Inspirations gourmet brand (and the price-impact Cha-Ching brand at Food Lion) generic private label has disappeared at the Delhaize banners, with national brand equivalent product reverting to the Hannaford and Food Lion brands. (Shaw's has taken a different tack, adopting the same Safeway-derived private label as other Albertsons banners.) It's a good question as to what Ahold will do with private label at the Delhaize banners. Will we see the generic fruit bowl brands (synergies being how the merger was "sold" to investors) at the Delhaize banners, or will the synergies be more at the procurement level. I have a feeling it will be business as usual for a while as the two companies work to integrate operations.

Scrabbleship

The six stores sold to Tops by Ahold Delhaize will reopen as Tops this week. They will open one a day from 8/23-8/28 in the order of Gardner, Rhinebeck, New Paltz, Wappingers Falls, Lagrangeville, Carmel. They will also go 24 hours, a rarity outside of Price Chopper in the region.

I find the idea of overriding one's Stop & Shop card with a Tops card to be a bit foolish as Stop & Shop isn't abandoning those areas unless they really want shoppers to forget they existed.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on July 28, 2016, 01:35:36 AM
Apart from the Taste of Inspirations gourmet brand (and the price-impact Cha-Ching brand at Food Lion)

I believe I've seen some of that Cha-Ching at Hannaford also.

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on August 22, 2016, 06:27:13 PM
Quote from: retailisking on July 28, 2016, 01:35:36 AM
Apart from the Taste of Inspirations gourmet brand (and the price-impact Cha-Ching brand at Food Lion)

I believe I've seen some of that Cha-Ching at Hannaford also.

I haven't but that's not to say that your observation is inaccurate. And I forgot the Nature's Place natural/organic line as well as the Healthy Options HBA line.