Xpect Discounts closing last three locations in CT

Started by retailisking, February 10, 2016, 09:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck E. Cheese

O No!! That's too bad. The one in Cromwell is next to a old style Big KMart, that side if the plaza seems to be just stuck.

ynkeesfn82

In March 2013 my high school classmates had and informal 13 year reunion at Chicago Sam's Sports Bar in the same plaza as Xpect in Cromwell. When I was leaving I walked past Xpect to go to KMART. I was super excited to see the name-plates on the shopping carts that said "Marc's". I was like "These are my shopping carts!" LOL.

Bdubs

XPect is done as of April 1. The Cromwell location leaves a large vacancy in the middle of the plaza. I've heard from some sources that the Kmart lease will not be renewed. Landlord is hoping to lure in a modern big box retailer such as Target or CostCo.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Bdubs on April 10, 2016, 07:20:02 PM
XPect is done as of April 1. The Cromwell location leaves a large vacancy in the middle of the plaza. I've heard from some sources that the Kmart lease will not be renewed. Landlord is hoping to lure in a modern big box retailer such as Target or CostCo.

The Cromwell Kmart does well compared to others, but I know they won't be around for much longer. I think a Target or Costco would be a great fit there if Kmart's lease isn't renewed. Especially Target with an expanded grocery section. Another rumor I have heard is a ShopRite owner wants to open there. I sort of hope not because I feel a ShopRite would be better in Berlin by the movie theater and car dealers (where Food Mart was) and if they open in Cromwell, that would squash the chance of Berlin getting one. The Berlin Turnpike area needs a better general grocery option. Stop and Shop is right across from Kmart and PriceRite (the sister store of ShopRite is just down the road).

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on February 10, 2016, 09:47:22 PM
The related Marc's chain in Ohio is unaffected
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/xpect-discount-chain-pulling-out-connecticut

The old Xpect Discount was at the beginning a Grand Union. KMart's lease may not be renewed?? Where would be the closest KMart store located, Vernon?

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 23, 2016, 05:07:15 PM
Quote from: retailisking on February 10, 2016, 09:47:22 PM
The related Marc's chain in Ohio is unaffected
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/xpect-discount-chain-pulling-out-connecticut

The old Xpect Discount was at the beginning a Grand Union. KMart's lease may not be renewed?? Where would be the closest KMart store located, Vernon?

Cromwell wasn't on last week's closing list, so it is spared for now.