Delorean to return to production for the first time since '82

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), January 27, 2016, 10:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

DeLorean to return to production for 1st time since '82
Alisa Priddle, Detroit Free Press

About 300 replica DeLoreans will be built starting next year

DeLorean Motor is resurrecting the past with plans to build replicas of the famed car from the "Back to the Future" movies of the 1980s.

News reports out of Humble, Texas, say the automaker plans to make about 300 replicas of the 1982 DeLorean that has not been in production for 34 years. The company has remained in business by refurbishing old DeLoreans â€" about 9,000 were originally sold â€" for enthusiasts.

“It’s fantastic. It is a game-changer for us. We’ve been wanting this to happen,” DeLorean CEO Stephen Wynne told TV station KPRC2 in Houston, saying it is possible under a new low-volume manufacturing bill approved by the federal government. “That was a green light to go back into production. That was prohibited. It was against the law to do it.”

Refurbished DeLoreans cost $45,000 to $55,000.  The replicas will cost closer to $100,000 when they go on sale in early 2017.

The original automaker was formed in 1975 by John DeLorean and was made famous by its one model: the DeLorean DMC-12 sports car with gull-wing doors. In the "Back to the Future" movies, it was able to travel through time via the flux capacitor.

The company went bankrupt in 1982, despite John DeLorean's attempt to save it with money from drug trafficking. The suspect transaction was caught on film, but DeLorean was acquitted of the charges.

In 1995, mechanic Stephen Wynne started a new company with the DeLorean Motor name, and he purchased the parts and logo of the original company. His company near Houston restores the original cars, and he has a small number of authorized dealerships.

Chuck E. Cheese

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on January 27, 2016, 10:51:32 PM
Now that is the car I want someday.
Me, too. I would love to have two of them. One of them I would like to modify to look like the time machine in the "Back to the Future" Trilogy.

TheFugitive

I would buy one if I could.  Especially if it really COULD take me back to the 80's!  :D

Though by reputation these cars were NOT good, mechanically speaking.

Chuck E. Cheese

And that means we can visit our favorite stores, Ames, Bradlees, Caldors, Hills, ShowBiz Pizza or whatever else floats your boat!! ;)

retailfan

JimSawhill

I would love to see someone buy the Mercury name from Ford and create  the Turnpike Cruiser, the Cougar, and the Montego.