Macon Mall - Interesting Dead Mall Visit

Started by mixedday, January 15, 2016, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixedday

So, I was driving from Atlanta to Jacksonville, and took a stop in Macon, GA. I checked out the Macon Mall, knowing it had a deadmalls.com entry but also I was planning to stop in Macon.

This mall is somewhat interesting because even though it's like a dying or dead mall (high vacancy rate, and atleast one abandoned anchor), the mall is upscale inside looking very much like a downtown city hotel lobby. The mall has a nice touch and is carpeted throughout. The mall has artwork on white walls, which covers up dead mall space.

The foodcourt had about 4 or 5 tenants, however, I was able to grab some good Italian food (side order) and Chinese food another side order, later on. The mall didn't seem unsafe, and actually seemed somewhat welcoming, even though it's somewhat urban oriented and not very busy.

There is a good write-up on wikipedia on this mall.

Is this the nicest looking dead mall that is operating?

From the outside, the mall looks unimpressive, but it's inside the mall of the mall that is impressive for a dead mall. It looks like a fancy Hilton or Marriott inside.

From the write up on wikipedia, it appears the surrounding retail likely has hurt the mall. This is one mall that if Target could join in at the vacant anchor space, it could really help a lot. However, a Target was not too far off the road. The Macon demographics might not be all that great and the town isn't all that large.  The anchors are Macy's, JCPenney and Burlington.