Jamesway in New Hampshire?

Started by Retail_247, August 21, 2022, 08:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail_247

I found this old magazine ad (something about buying tools & where to buy them) and on the bottom of the first page all the way to the left under the New Hampshire listing the first thing it says is "All Jamesway stores"

Heres the magazine ad that im talking about:

https://books.google.com/books?id=EGswLBzXcqwC&pg=RA1-PA93&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false

Does anybody know anything about this? Is is a misprint? (Im assuming so)
Retail_247

BillyGr

Good question - the only basic info. mentions them having stores in New England but no specific listing by state.

They did take over spots from other stores over the years (like the one in Dutchess Mall that was a Mays, part of a small NY Based chain, not the department stores), so they might have done something like that in any area.  It says all Jamesway stores, but all could be one or two somewhere in an isolated corner, like Keene comes to mind as one possibility, but no guarantee there.

Everything Community

Quote from: BillyGr on August 22, 2022, 12:54:12 PMGood question - the only basic info. mentions them having stores in New England but no specific listing by state.

They did take over spots from other stores over the years (like the one in Dutchess Mall that was a Mays, part of a small NY Based chain, not the department stores), so they might have done something like that in any area.  It says all Jamesway stores, but all could be one or two somewhere in an isolated corner, like Keene comes to mind as one possibility, but no guarantee there.

All I have to admit is that the magazine publisher probably misprinted it because the next state after New Hampshire in alphabetical order is New Jersey because there were Jamesway stores in that state so this leaves me half clueless that if that company actually had any stores in the New England region though if they had any it would be somewhere in either Connecticut, Massachusetts or Vermont since there may have been stores in the upstate, NYC-metro or Long Island areas of New York but since New Hampshire is no close proximity to New York since it doesn't border each other, I would have to concede that they didn't have stores in New Hampshire or anywhere else in that region.

That's my theory!

If anyone else have any evidence whether Jamesway had stores in New England, then I'd be appreciated if you've put down info based on research.

BillyGr

Quote from: Everything Community on August 22, 2022, 03:17:50 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on August 22, 2022, 12:54:12 PMThey did take over spots from other stores over the years (like the one in Dutchess Mall that was a Mays, part of a small NY Based chain, not the department stores), so they might have done something like that in any area.

they had any it would be somewhere in either Connecticut, Massachusetts or Vermont since there may have been stores in the upstate, NYC-metro or Long Island areas of New York

There were definitely stores in NY - the one I mentioned above is around Fishkill (southern Dutchess County), we had two here in Hudson and Catskill (Columbia/Greene Counties) and there were locations in Rotterdam (Schenectady County) and Saratoga (Saratoga County) as well that I know of.

Very likely others, but back at that time there wasn't the easy way of finding them that there is for stores today, and we never happened upon any others while travelling.