Successful malls without Macy's

Started by mixedday, December 15, 2015, 06:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixedday

In Central PA, the Park City Center mall is likely the best mall of the region and has over 4 department stores but not Macy's. Even though Macy's likely had the most mergers to get where it's at today, it lacks a place in this mall.

Are there other malls (non Mills malls) like that where Macy's is notably missing?

Hudsons81

The only ones I can think of in southeast Michigan is the Mall of Partridge Creek and Laurel Park Place. (I know Great Lakes Crossing Outlets also doesn't have a Macy's but it resembles a Mills mall)

Ameskid

Eastgate Mall outside of Cincinnati is anchored by Dillard's, JCPenney, Sears, and Kohl's.  Likely no Macy's presence because the Shillito's/Shillito-Rikes/Lazarus/Lazarus-Macy's/Macy's at Anderson Towne Center/Beechmont Mall, only a few miles away, has been there since 1969.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Bay Park Square mall in Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin (located outside Green Bay), owned by Simon Property Group does not have a Macy's. Bay Park Square has a Younkers, Younkers Furniture Gallery, Kohl's, and Shopko and room for 103+ stores. The Younkers occupies two floors (with two sets of escalators and a glass elevator) while the rest of the mall occupies one. The Younkers replaced Montgomery Ward, and the Younkers Furniture Gallery store replaced two thirds of Elder-Beerman. The movie theater used to be located inside the mall (where the food court currently is) until the 1990s, when they decided to move to a bigger building on an empty lot behind Shopko. The largest Shopko store is located at this mall at over 123,000 square feet. The food court in this this mall looks like a football stadium, appropriately enough, since Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers, is not too far away (just another ten blocks away to the north).

The only mall in Northeast Wisconsin to have a Macy's is General Growth Properties' Fox River Mall in Appleton, Wisconsin. The Macy's started out as Dayton's, then Marshall Field's, then it became Macy's. Fox River Mall is anchored by Target, Macy's, Sears, Younkers, JCPenney, and Scheel's All-Sports.

mixedday

As I'm visiting Jacksonville, I came across Avenues Mall which seems rather successful, although top tenants like Apple Store operate in St Johns Town Center instead. But the Avenues Mall seems strong and maybe would be an A- type of mall. If it had more upscale tenants, it'd be in the A mall category but it's definitely better than several distinguishable B malls. It has almost full occupancy with national tenants and no junk stores either. It is anchored by Dillard's, Belk, Forever 21, Sears and JCPenney.

It has commonality with the Quakerbridge Mall in NJ, which is also owned by Simon in that the second level is carpeted while the first is not.

This is the first mall that I've been to with a large Forever 21, which serves as an anchor than an in line tenant. Wikipedia lists it as over 100,000 sq ft.